JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

JWs: more covering up of child sex abuse

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

Originally posted by @dj2becker
I asked you some questions on page 2 and 3. When did I say it was ok to cover anything up?
Do you believe your family responded in a morally sound or morally unsound way?

P

Moves
22 Sep 18

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I am a Catholic. we too share in the embarrasment of those who feel they can get away with "murder" . in my personal opinion, rape and sexual abuses are far worse than murder. there is something finite in murder, but those who suffer rape and sex abuse, they live with it daily. (im not saying taking a life is less)

the cover up is criminal as well. there are no churches or organizations in the world that have not had their fair share of it. some are just more noted i.e. catholics

Moves
22 Sep 18

Originally posted by @fmf
You mean the story you have told? A counsellor raping a girl or girls he is counselling? Yes. One must act. I have no doubt. What was - in your view - the moral justification for not acting and so opening up others to the risk being raped?
All I am saying is you cannot judge a sixteen year old rape victim until you have walked in her shoes. God will judge. I'm turning in for the night we could continue this discussion at some point in the future.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

How on earth would he rape them if he was serving a life sentence in prison for murder?
He raped your sister and was then immediately arrested for murder? You said it was years later that he was gaoled for murder.

Moves
22 Sep 18

If your family kept the identity of the rapist secret and didn't tell anybody about the rape, how would you describe that if not a 'cover up'?
When did I say exactly that my family kept the identity of the rapist secret and didn't tell anybody about the rape? Seriously FMF why do you keep on inventing lies?

Moves
22 Sep 18

He raped your sister and was then immediately arrested for murder? You said it was years later that he was gaoled for murder.
When I found out he was already in jail for quite a few years. I have no idea exactly when my parents found out.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

All I am saying is you cannot judge a sixteen year old rape victim until you have walked in her shoes. God will judge. I'm turning in for the night we could continue this discussion at some point in the future.
You have judged my moral take on this as "meaningless". How is your take 'meaningful' with all its supposed "absolute truth" and "objectivity"?

P

Moves
22 Sep 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
What’s interesting about the Jehovah’s Witnesess movement is that it’s a religious cult, the Catholic Church isn’t. At least not by say, traditional measures of a cult.

The JWs are elitist, they claim to be the only way, they have charismatic (to them) leaders, they are not open to criticism (Vatican is much more so in recent years), unquestioning ob ...[text shortened]... periodically I flag up the latest burst of horror generated by the pernicious group of cultists.
Personally i feel sorry for the J.W.'s many members try so hard at wanting to know jesus. but it is all intellectual. i talk with some when they let me. but it is all a matter of the heart. and that is where Christ needs to be. in our hearts

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

When I found out he was already in jail for quite a few years. I have no idea exactly when my parents found out.
According to your "objective" morals did your parents behave in a morally sound way over this issue?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

When did I say exactly that my family kept the identity of the rapist secret and didn't tell anybody about the rape?
How many hours was it before they warned women and mothers with daughters?

Moves
22 Sep 18

You have judged my moral take on this as "meaningless". How is your take 'meaningful' with all its supposed "absolute truth" and "objectivity"?
If morality is relative as you say there cannot be a single correct answer to the question "Is it always wrong to cover up a rape?" The question itself is meaningless as is the answer if there are no moral absolutes. Or do you believe a question whereby all the contradictory answers are correct in their own way is meaningful?

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

How on earth would he rape them if he was serving a life sentence in prison for murder?
What was the interval between him raping and him not being able to rape [due to being in gaol]? Days, months, years?

Moves
22 Sep 18

How many hours was it before they warned women and mothers with daughters?
I am not privy to this information.

Moves
22 Sep 18

What was the interval between him raping and him not being able to rape [due to being in gaol]? Days, months, years?
All I know is that when I found out he was already in jail. I would be speculating if I told you my parents did or didn't know before he was in jail. Good night FMF.

F

Moves
22 Sep 18

If morality is relative as you say there cannot be a single correct answer to the question "Is it always wrong to cover up a rape?" The question itself is meaningless as is the answer if there are no moral absolutes. Or do you believe a question whereby all the contradictory answers are correct in their own way is meaningful?
If morality is, as you seem to think, not relative, what then is the single correct answer to the question "Is it wrong to cover up a rape?" I believe our perspectives on this - yours and mine - are subjective. You say yours is not subjective. So what is your perspective?