1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 11:50
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    Since your assertion that there are no moral absolutes is a subjective one, how can you be sure there are no moral absolutes?
    The explanation is the same as it has been for the last two years or so of us talking about this.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 11:522 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    The explanation is the same as it has been for the last two years or so of us talking about this.
    I.e you repeating 'morality is relative' ad nauseam. FMF do you believe it is possible for rape to be wrong and not wrong at the same time? Or is it either one or the other?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:13
    I.e you repeating 'morality is relative' ad nauseam.
    And everything else I have been bothered to type out for you by way of explanation stretching back to when you were Fetchmyjunk. At greater length back then, I'll admit. But I'm wise to your schtick now.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:16
    FMF do you believe it is possible for rape to be wrong and not wrong at the same time? Or is it either one or the other?
    I have answered your question about rape and why I think it's morally unsound maybe 20-30 times over the last 2 years. Why are you asking me again?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:20
    If right and wrong is purely subjective it means this entire thread has been a waste of time.
    People using their moral compassess to navigate their way through what they discern to be right and wrong decisions in life is essential and far from a waste of time.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:422 edits
    People using their moral compassess to navigate their way through what they discern to be right and wrong decisions in life is essential and far from a waste of time.
    If rape for example really is wrong and wrong for everyone, a moral compass that helped people to reach that conclusion would indeed be essential. But if morality is relative, rape can’t be wrong all the time since the view is only relative and not absolute.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '18 12:48
    If rape for example really is wrong and wrong for everyone, a moral compass that helped people to reach that conclusion would indeed be essential. But is morality is relative, rape can’t be wrong all the time since the view is only relative.
    Morality is subjective. Most people believe, as we do, that rape is morally unsound. I believe it is wrong for the reasons I have given. You believe it is wrong for the reasons you have given. I don't much care whether you have arrived at your stance through a belief in supernatural causality. We both welcome the fact rape is illegal in every country in the world. There is an objective fact about rape: it is illegal in every country in the world.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 07:28
    Morality is subjective. Most people believe, as we do, that rape is morally unsound. I believe it is wrong for the reasons I have given. You believe it is wrong for the reasons you have given. I don't much care whether you have arrived at your stance through a belief in supernatural causality. We both welcome the fact rape is illegal in every country in the world. There is an objective fact about rape: it is illegal in every country in the world.
    Does the fact that morality is relative to your way of thinking mean that every perspective is correct in their own right regardless of whether or not they are contradictory?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 07:371 edit
    Does the fact that morality is relative to your way of thinking mean that every perspective is correct in their own right regardless of whether or not they are contradictory?
    You've asked me about this before and I have answered already. Repeatedly. Why are you asking me again?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 07:481 edit
    You've asked me about this before and I have answered already. Repeatedly. Why are you asking me again?
    That’s exactly what you told me the last time I asked you a question that had you flummoxed. 😴
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 08:00
    That’s exactly what you told me the last time I asked you a question that had you flummoxed. 😴
    Go back to our in depth conversations in 2016 and 2017. My stance - and therefore my answer - has not changed.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 08:05
    FMF: If I believed that the rapist was about to make good on his promise to kill my daughter in retaliation for telling people what he'd done, and if there were no other practical choice to prevent him from doing this, it would be morally justifiable for me to kill him.

I totally agree if in the scenario the parents found out immediately.
    So you and I totally agree that it would be morally justifiable for me to kill a man who had raped our daughter if we believed that he was about to make good on his promise to kill our daughter in retaliation for telling people what he'd done.

Others might disagree with us - in accordance with their moral compasses. But we would do it anyway based on our own subjective moral reasoning. The courts then might come down on our side or they might come down on the side of those who think we are wrong to kill in those circumstances.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '18 16:08
    So you and I totally agree that it would be morally justifiable for me to kill a man who had raped our daughter if we believed that he was about to make good on his promise to kill our daughter in retaliation for telling people what he'd done.

Others might disagree with us - in accordance with their moral compasses. But we would do it anyway based on our ow ...[text shortened]... they might come down on the side of those who think we are wrong to kill in those circumstances.
    just get the job done.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '18 05:161 edit

Others might disagree with us - in accordance with their moral compasses. But we would do it anyway based on our ow ...[text shortened]... they might come down on the side of those who think we are wrong to kill in those circumstances.
    If you believe that those who disagree with you are wrong in their assessment you cannot be a moral relativist. How can anyone be wrong about anything if moral relativism is true?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '18 05:451 edit
    If you believe that those who disagree with you are wrong in their assessment you cannot be a moral relativist. How can anyone be wrong about anything if moral relativism is true?
    You are talking disingenuous/uncomprehending nonsense. And your question is based on the gimmick that you are pretending that you haven't read anything I have said to you for over two years.

Here's a question for you about an action we agree on: you have revealed that you believe it would be morally justifiable for you to kill a man who had raped your daughter if you believed that he was about to make good on his promise to kill your daughter in retaliation for telling people what he'd done. What "authority" and "absolute truths" do you think back up your moral stance on this matter?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree