1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 02:44
    @caesar-salad said
    Perhaps I have misunderstood the New Testament, but I thought Jesus was trying to lead people out of fear and self-concern.
    Yep, you misunderstood.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 02:52
    @eladar said
    Yep, you misunderstood.
    Oh? Could you summarize your reading of the New Testament?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:01
    @caesar-salad

I will tell you what Jesus said. Jesus said that everything he taught was from God the Father and if you want eternal life you must also submit to God's truth and allow God's truth to dwell in you.

After we die we will know if we followed the teachings or not.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:03
    @caesar-salad said
    Perhaps I have misunderstood the New Testament, but I thought Jesus was trying to lead people out of fear and self-concern.
    There are two ways of reading this:

A) Jesus was trying to lead people out of (i.e. because of his own) fear and self-concern (his own selfishness).

B) Jesus was trying to lead people out of (i.e. away from) fear and self-concern (their own selfishness).

I'm guessing you mean B but it's not totally clear from the phrasing.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:063 edits
    @deepthought said
    There are two ways of reading this:

A) Jesus was trying to lead people out of (i.e. because of his own) fear and self-concern (his own selfishness).

B) Jesus was trying to lead people out of (i.e. away from) fear and self-concern (their own selfishness).

I'm guessing you mean B but it's not totally clear from the phrasing.
    Definitely B), as an echo of Exodus. But I am no expert hermeneuticist. And thank you for pointing out the ambiguity (not intended).

Not quite A) mixed in, except as an example of trust against the tide of human fears.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:20
    @caesar-salad said
    Definitely B), as an echo of Exodus. But I am no expert hermeneuticist. And thank you for pointing out the ambiguity (not intended).

Not quite A) mixed in, except as an example of trust against the tide of human fears.
    The echo of the Book of Exodus is quite an interesting point, I think you might have something there.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:21
    Lol, either of you consider yourself Christians?
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:24
    @eladar said
    Would you mind defining "Christian" from your point of view?
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:29
    @eladar said
    I was baptised and am therefore a member of the Christian Church. I was brought up with Christianity and, as an example, instinctively think of my name as a "Christian name" rather than a "first name", despite this I'm not a practicing Christian and consider myself an agnostic. However, in the formal sense, I am a Christian.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:40
    @caesar-salad said
    Would you mind defining "Christian" from your point of view?
    I asked if you consider yourself a Christian.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:41
    @deepthought said
    I was baptised and am therefore a member of the Christian Church. I was brought up with Christianity and, as an example, instinctively think of my name as a "Christian name" rather than a "first name", despite this I'm not a practicing Christian and consider myself an agnostic. However, in the formal sense, I am a Christian.
    So you do not consider yourself a Christian as you understand it.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:50
    @Eladar

I'm sure you know the saying: "If you lie down with gods, you'll get up with seals."
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:53
    @caesar-salad said
    @Eladar

I'm sure you know the saying: "If you lie down with gods, you'll get up with seals."
    No but I do onow a person who wants to play games instead of having a discussion when I see one.
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    31 May '20 03:581 edit
    @eladar said
    No but I do onow a person who wants to play games instead of having a discussion when I see one.
    That's fine. Please enjoy Christianity.

Oishii, desu ka?

Also, please blame @divegeester for the way I'm turning out here. Damn his corrupt tutelage!
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 May '20 04:03
    @eladar said
    Here are a couple of examples of you discussing Christianity.

Definition of a Christian Thread 184586

Christian principles underpinning marriage Thread 184585

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree