Life

Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
As far as I can tell, I think sonship was just trying to score some kind of point.
The quote suggests that Hemingway's point was that All men have a commonality in life and in death. It's only the details that make them unique.

This seems rather obvious to me, but what can you do?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
The quote suggests that Hemingway's point was that All men have a commonality in life and in death. It's only the details that make them unique.

This seems rather obvious to me, but what can you do?
British Poet T.S. Elliot distilled human life to three words: "Birth; Copulation; Death." I agree with your "It's only the details that make them unique." ... and of those details the most crucial is the decision whether to be for or opposed to Christ.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
No. Most Christians, contrary to the seeming belief of most atheists, do not, at least in my experience, suffer from your #2, "increasing trepidation about the finality of death".
Well it is my opinion that "trepidation about the finality of death" underpins religions and underpins religiosity. I have been around a lot of Christians and a lot of Muslims. My observation has nothing to do with "the seeming belief of most atheists". Anyone arriving in this forum and reading some of the threads will find numerous Christians talking about how they have conjured up beliefs and 'certainties' that sidestep death and can therefore declare themselves all set to live forever in some form or other. It's all about coping with the finality of death.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
I agree with your "It's only the details that make them unique." ... and of those details the most crucial is the decision whether to be for or opposed to Christ.
And having made the decision to believe in Christ do you now believe that your physical death is going to be followed by an after life? Yes, you do. This is a merely a coping strategy on your part. Personally, constructing or subscribing to these speculative or superstitious self-assurances seem to be a poor use of one's human capacities during this finite time during which we live.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
And having made the decision to believe in Christ do you now believe that your physical death is going to be followed by an after life? Yes, you do. This is a merely a coping strategy on your part. Personally, constructing or subscribing to these speculative or superstitious self-assurances seem to be a poor use of one's human capacities during this finite time during which we live.
No worries.

All who die having rejected Christ will one day be in the awesome presence of God at The Great White Throne Judgment.

No exceptions.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

No worries.

All who die having rejected Christ will one day be in the awesome presence of God at The Great White Throne Judgment.

No exceptions.
And you use up *how much* of your life ruminating on this speculation/superstition?

And another question: would your family life and raising your children, for example, all have been somehow meaningless to you if you hadn't been reassuring yourself in the face of the finality of death all along?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
And you use up *how much* of your life ruminating on this speculation/superstition?

And another question: would your family life and raising your children, for example, all have been somehow meaningless to you if you hadn't been reassuring yourself in the face of the finality of death all along?
It appears you're projecting from a mid life crisis. For me it began as curiosity: 'If there is a God and you're up there somewhere, I'd like to know you'. Over the decades I've learned who He is and am grateful His Plan included me.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

It appears you're projecting from a mid life crisis. For me it began as curiosity: 'If there is a God and you're up there somewhere, I'd like to know you'. Over the decades I've learned who He is and am grateful His Plan included me.
No I am not projecting from a "mid life crisis" ~ but I have seen attempts like this to poison the well [from which 'relaxed friendly conversation draws'] several times before on this forum. I am going to commandeer some of SwissGambit's words [with modifications] because he put it very well:

I feel more in touch with reality now that I have discarded Christianity. Like I have discarded the intellectual crutches of my ancestors and accepted the universe on its own terms. Also, I feel freed from dogmatism. It is a great relief that nothing is 'holy' - I can doubt anyone. Any statement I want. Openly.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Your attempted dodge is noted. Here is a second opportunity to answer the question:

Would your family life and raising your children, for example, all have been somehow meaningless to you if you hadn't been [a Christian, that is to say...] reassuring yourself in the face of the finality of death all along?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
No I am not projecting from a "mid life crisis" ~ but I have seen attempts like this to poison the well [from which 'relaxed friendly conversation draws'] several times before on this forum. I am going to commandeer some of SwissGambit's words [with modifications] because he put it very well:

I feel more in touch with reality now that I have discarded Christi ...[text shortened]... It is a great relief that nothing is 'holy' - I can doubt anyone. Any statement I want. Openly.
Glad you're happy. Whom do you think SG is trying to convince with a biographical counterpoint? If it's authentic, just live it.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Glad you're happy. Whom do you think SG is trying to convince with a biographical counterpoint? If it's authentic, just live it.
I do live it. SwissGambit, like everyone else here is sharing his take on the issues we all discuss. Who are you trying to convince with details of your belief in ancient Hebrew mythology?

And you're still dodging questions and responses to your posts. 😀

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Life.

The real life cannot be killed and cannot be destroyed.
Any life that can be killed or destroyed is like a shadow of the real life.

The real life is a perfect life.
Any life that is imperfect is not the ultimate life but kind of a shadow of it.

Every life we know naturally mysteriously had a beginning in some birth or germination in nature. How life begins we don't really understand. But so far we see that there had to be BE life preceeding for life to be born or be germinated afterwards.

The Ultimate life had no beginning and is eternal. That ultimate source of everything is a life that always was.

Our brains at this point reel. How could there be a life that always was ???

The real life, the ultimate life was manifested on the earth in history. Some followers touched it, heard it, saw it, handled it, and testified to it. That ultimate divine life of God became flesh and they 12 first disciples witnessed Him.

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the word of life (And the life was manifested, and we have seen and testify and report to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us);

That which we have seen and heard we report also to you that you may have fellowship with us, and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. And these things we write that our joy may be made full." (1 John 1:1-4)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

The Ultimate Life the ultimate Person is experiencial and enjoyable. Yet this Person is also astounding and perplexing.

That is why the Trinity is astounding and perplexing. Is God one or three ?
He is three - one.

But what is that? It is a boggle to the mind and a scandelous mystery that Christians have to bear. People ask hard questions and we have to gloriously bear the embarrassment of being unable to explain the impossible.

God, the eternal life is a life beyond expected limitations as we know them. He is Father and Son and Holy Spirit. The word Triune is not in the Bible. But it is useful. Neither is the word "Trinity" in the Bible. But it is useful to describe a great mystery.

This is a mystery of the eternal life which we cannot explain. BUT ... we can enjoy and experience this three-one God who is the uncreated Divine Life.

F

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by sonship
Life.

Every life we know naturally mysteriously had a beginning in some birth or germination in nature. How life begins we don't really understand. But so far we see that there had to be BE life preceeding for life to be born or be germinated afterwards.

The Ultimate life had no beginning and is eternal. That ultimate source of everything is a life that always was.

Our brains at this point reel. How could there be a life that always was ???

The real life, the ultimate life was manifested on the earth in history. Some followers touched it, heard it, saw it, handled it, and testified to it. That ultimate divine life of God became flesh and they 12 first disciples witnessed Him.

I do understand where you are coming from with this. I've been there, remember. But isn't all this stuff [above] simply good for a long dinner party chat or a thought-provoking self-help book or a hobby idea that you carry around with you?

I myself see turning all these ebullient self-pep musings ~ you and your "real" life, and others with their "shadow" lives ~ into some kind of endless all consuming "meaning of life" thing almost tragically self-absorbed, inconsequential and fanciful.

Just a personal perspective, remember. It did not work for me and I have been better off without it. But if it works for you ~ if THAT is your "life" ~ then good for you. If it gives your life a sense of purpose, then good.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
[b]Life.

Every life we know naturally mysteriously had a beginning in some birth or germination in nat ...[text shortened]... if THAT is your "life" ~ then good for you. If it gives your life a sense of purpose, then good.
I do understand where you are coming from with this. I've been there, remember. But isn't all this stuff [above] simply good for a long dinner party chat or a thought-provoking self-help book or a hobby idea that you carry around with you?

It is good truth for preaching the gospel and raising up local churches around the world on the five continents.

Here are some around who follow such a biblical vision of God's life:

http://www.christianwebsites.org/local-churches.htm

Many testimonials are included on the websites of these congregations.