1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 13:11
    Originally posted by josephw

If your life was on the line and you had to choose between a radiocarbon dating machine and the Word of God, which would you choose?
    I would indeed reach for the 'good book.'

A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 13:32
    The hindus have got lots, perhaps you could borrow one of theirs?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 14:46
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I would indeed reach for the 'good book.'

A hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.
    Read it decades ago. How about A Separate Reality, or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? Interesting, but uninspiring. Just books conceived and written by mere man.

The Word of God came by inspiration of God.
  4. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 15:38
    Originally posted by josephw

The Word of God came by inspiration of God.[/b]
    The problem i have with that, having studied the history and formation of the bible, is that it was written by many different men, with many different historical and social motivations, over many different decades. Add to that, it was man who decided which books to include in the bible and which to exclude, and the serious contradictions this has caused.- To try and unite all this under the banner of 'divine inspiration' is not very compelling.

It was said elsewhere that 'truth' is absolute and unchanging. I actually think this is to misunderstand the nature of 'truth.' A Buddhist once said that 'truth was like the wind, forever moving and uncatchable.' (Though worded better i'm sure). If you were able to catch the wind and hold it prisoner in a book, well, it would cease to be wind.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 17:35
    Originally posted by stellspalfieto
    Can we all join together and record our sightings of god. Where did you last see/hear/feel him/she/it, what was he/she/it doing, what did he/she/it say?

As of 22:31 GMT 20/30/15 - No sightings of god recorded.
    With respect a person shall never see God unless they raise the bar.

Raising the bar in this instance means .............

1. to search/seek out knowledge from true religion and study this literature sincerely. (literature such as 18 volume "The Srimad Bhagavatam" and Bhagavad Gita As It Is" and others............by Srila Prabhupada.
    2. follow the instructions that this new found spiritual literature has given you.
    3. Some of these instructions may be to stop eating flesh in any form / to stop consuming intoxication and drugs in any form / to stop having sex unless it is for pro-creation / and to stop gambling and speculation / to only associate with like minded persons on the spiritual path and to avoid loud toxic mundane persons / to chant the names of God every day as instructed by the devotional literature / etc etc.
    4. To stop playing the intellectual smarty pants etc every time the mouth opens. (God can see through everything) THATS EVERYTHING.
  6. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 17:361 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The problem i have with that, having studied the history and formation of the bible, is that it was written by many different men, with many different historical and social motivations, over many different decades. Add to that, it was man who decided which books to include in the bible and which to exclude, and the serious contradictions this has cau ...[text shortened]... you were able to catch the wind and hold it prisoner in a book, well, it would cease to be wind.
    Why do you bother with the meat eaters Bible.(with respect to all Christians)

You are defeated before you have begun
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 19:501 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yup dweebs keep dweebin and our atheist friends keep attacking windmills. I do find it rather amusing.
    I find your misuse of the phrase 'attacking windmills' even more amusing.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 19:55
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    I find your misuse of the phrase 'attacking windmills' even more amusing.
    Do you? I find your propensity for believing your own propaganda hilarious.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 19:58
    Originally posted by Dasa
    With respect a person shall never see God unless they raise the bar.

Raising the bar in this instance means .............

1. to search/seek out knowledge from true religion and study this literature sincerely. (literature such as 18 volume "The Srimad Bhagavatam" and Bhagavad Gita As It Is" and others............by Srila Prabhupada.
    2. follow the instruc ...[text shortened]... smarty pants etc every time the mouth opens. (God can see through everything) THATS EVERYTHING.
    3. Some of these instructions may be to stop eating flesh in any form / to stop consuming intoxication and drugs in any form / to stop having sex unless it is for pro-creation / and to stop gambling and speculation / to only associate with like minded persons on the spiritual path and to avoid loud toxic mundane persons / to chant the names of God every day as instructed by the devotional literature / et

Today, Ive had sex (using contraception), ate a Sunday roast, drank wine, speculated about the UK election, wrote to you and chanted 'Push him in' to with my kids to Sam while watching Frodo change his mind about throwing the ring in the fire.

Looks like Ive had a bad day by your standards.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 20:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Do you? I find your propensity for believing your own propaganda hilarious.
    Maybe I should give up the responsibility of thought and go be a drone to somebody else's propaganda, I could start with the thought control freaks down at Kingdom Hall.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 20:17
    Its Sunday night, typically a busy day for God.....Not a sausage though.

Im going to leave a saucer of milk and some left over chicken on the patio tonight. Id hate to think of him/her/it out there in the cold, scared and hungry.
  12. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 23:52
    Its Sunday night, typically a busy day for God.....Not a sausage though.

Im going to leave a saucer of milk and some left over chicken on the patio tonight. Id hate to think of him/her/it out there in the cold, scared and hungry.
    I think I saw it on Ebay, History section, unfortunately multiple owners.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Mar '15 23:552 edits
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Why do you bother with the meat eaters Bible.(with respect to all Christians)

You are defeated before you have begun
    Man has always eaten meat for food. Meat was just limited to the form of fruit and vegetables in the beginning until sin and death and the worldwide flood brought in the need to eat animal meat. My Holy Bible educates me on this truth while your bible leaves you in ignorance on this subject. In the southern USA we refer to eating the meat of the watermelon, discarding the rind, and planting the seed for a new harvest.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 00:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Man has always eaten meat for food. Meat was just limited to the form of fruit and vegetables in the beginning until sin and death and the worldwide flood brought in the need to eat animal meat. My Holy Bible educates me on this truth while your bible leaves you in ignorance on this subject. In the southern USA we refer to eating the meat of the watermelon, discarding the rind, and planting the seed for a new harvest.
    Meat was just limited to the form of fruit and vegetables in the beginning

Words fail me.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '15 02:511 edit
    Can we all join together and record our sightings of god. Where did you last see/hear/feel him/she/it, what was he/she/it doing, what did he/she/it say?

As of 22:31 GMT 20/30/15 - No sightings of god recorded.
    Are we to assume you mean by sighting a sensation of the five physical senses ?

If that is the case I have never ever detected God with my five physical senses.

But Jesus did say the pure in heart shall SEE God.

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." (Matt. 5:8)

From experience, I would say that "pure in heart" here does not mean one is so morally good necessarily. It means single in motive. It means focused on one thing. It means to not have a double heart but a heart singular and calibrated to a single goal - to know God.

When person comes to the point of praying something like "Lord Jesus, I just want You. Lord Jesus, You Yourself is what I want. Thanks for meaner things, even legitimate and necessary things. But they are not the single thing I desire. Lord God I just want You Yourself."

This is to be single, simple, and pure in heart. And even if you are physically BLIND, like Fanny Crosby who wrote over 9,000 hymns, you can "see God" .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanny_Crosby

If you have no sightings of God in this sense it is probably because you have too many goals and other things that divide your heart. IF you would once, calibrate your heart to just want God and God alone, the pure in heart see God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree