Lost - 1 god - Please Help

Lost - 1 god - Please Help

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
It is far less a "prize" than a 'promise'.

And God does not renege on His promises.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." -- John 3:16-17 ...[text shortened]... He loves us, "that the world through him might be saved."

It's a promise, not a prize.
I dont see the two as being mutually exclusive.

Moves
23 Mar 15

And he told me just the other day that he would just love to hear from stellspalfie. He said he has some Good News he'd like to share with him.

😀
I'm pretty sure he wouldnt like to hear from me, it wouldnt exactly be a pleasant exchange.

Moves
23 Mar 15

Surely the 'mind' of God is not physical? And we know from the Bible that he has emotions.
We were discussing humans.

Moves
23 Mar 15

Now you're getting it. 😉
Urgh, that would mean Sonship and Robbie are giving it to me.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Paul himself states, who will get ready for battle if the trumpet sounds an indistinct sound. How will they put faith in him who they have not heard, How will they hear unless someone has been sent forth? look how comely are the feet of those declaring good things of good things. One of my favourite scriptures, which Jesus himself directly quotes f ...[text shortened]... ope with all manner of ills. I am never ashamed of the Good News which God has entrusted to me.
If you are not ashamed of the Bible, then one might think you would attribute it properly.

What you included was Isaiah 61:1-2 (from your translation, btw), and you left out what is maybe the meat of that quote, Isaiah 61:3 itself.

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified." -- Isaiah 61:3, KJV

rc

Moves
23 Mar 15

If you are not ashamed of the Bible, then one might think you would attribute it properly.

What you included was Isaiah 61:1-2 (from your translation, btw), and you left out what is maybe the meat of that quote, Isaiah 61:3 itself.

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of ...[text shortened]... ees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified." -- Isaiah 61:3, KJV
thats not the meat that just the leftovers.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by stellspalfie
We were discussing humans.
But surely man was made in the image of God?

O

Moves
23 Mar 15

But surely man was made in the image of God?
What is meant by image exactly?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thats not the meat that just the leftovers.
Just the leftovers? Seriously? And yet you say you are not ashamed of the Bible? None of it is "leftovers"!

Isaiah 61:3 is the entire point of Isaiah 61:1-3. "... that he might be glorified." Not us.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by OdBod
What is meant by image exactly?
An "image", or perhaps "blueprint", if you will, of how to make physical man from an ethereal deity. Certainly 'mind' and 'emotions' is part of that. And certainly not man giving these to God, as sonhouse claims.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

I dont see the two as being mutually exclusive.
If someone borrowed money from you, and promised to pay you back next Thursday, and Thursday came and here he was, to pay you back as he promised, would you then consider the money to be a "prize" that you had somehow "won"?

rc

Moves
23 Mar 15

Just the leftovers? Seriously? And yet you say you are not ashamed of the Bible? None of it is "leftovers"!

Isaiah 61:3 is the entire point of Isaiah 61:1-3. "... that he might be glorified." Not us.
yes the real meat was in the quotation that I cited.

O

Moves
23 Mar 15

An "image", or perhaps "blueprint", if you will, of how to make physical man from an ethereal deity. Certainly 'mind' and 'emotions' is part of that. And certainly not man giving these to God, as sonhouse claims.
So you would say not an exact image ?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

I'm pretty sure he wouldnt like to hear from me, it wouldnt exactly be a pleasant exchange.
I don't know, man, that would be entirely on you, then.

He just wants you to give him a chance. And he means a real chance, not the remote chance of a defense lawyer making a closing statement to a jury full of people who have already made up their mind on insufficient evidence.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
23 Mar 15

Originally posted by OdBod
So you would say not an exact image ?
We're talking about God, here. How could the image not be exact? Another word for image might be "reflection", since the material he has to work with is not as pure as his own. It's hard to get the properties of an ethereal being into a physical one, but hey, he's God; if anyone can do it, he can.