1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 20:42
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    They did unbelievably accurate representations of the stars and planets Why?
    Because they didn't have tv. What else can you do at night?
    Also, the stars are remarkably useful for measuring time. They are more accurate than the moon. They can be used to work out the solstices (as can the sun).
    They can also be used for navigation.

Those who could predict eclipses had an even greater advantage as they could use that knowledge to their advantage.

Did ancient peoples have forms of astrology? Quite likely. Does that make it any more valid? Of course not.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jun '10 23:32
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    they also sacrificed goats (the nice ones) or humans (the less nice ones). should we go back into those practices because they did it?

you are confused: accurate representations of the stars and planets is not astrology. that is astronomy. astronomy basically says "that star is there". astrology is the "science" that says that because "that star is there", "even x will happen here". that is hooey.
    I dont think they call it astrology or astronomy.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 06:32
    i can see how you would find that funny. it is funny. and totally not logical.

some stories in the bible are unbelievable. take your samson for example. he had great strength.(let's say that samson is real, it helps with the proving of points). what you must understand is that the intent of samson story was to show that our strength comes from god. i ...[text shortened]... fect amount of punishment and teaching.

dunno what you meant to say by mentioning hercules.
    You know what Superman has to say to that?

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=28%3Asuperdickery&id=1335%3Atake-that-christianity&Itemid=54
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 08:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You know what Superman has to say to that?

http://superdickery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=28%3Asuperdickery&id=1335%3Atake-that-christianity&Itemid=54
    aaaand the debate ends. tired? or not having fun?
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 08:37
    I dont think they call it astrology or astronomy.
    what it? accurate representation of the stars?

wiki:
    Astronomy is a natural science that deals with the study of celestial objects (such as stars, planets, comets, nebulae, star clusters and galaxies) and phenomena that originate outside the Earth's atmosphere (such as the cosmic background radiation). It is concerned with the evolution, physics, chemistry, meteorology, and motion of celestial objects, as well as the formation and development of the universe.

so yes, it isn't just saying "that star is there".
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 09:17
    aaaand the debate ends. tired? or not having fun?
    I offered up my position a long time ago and nobody challenged it. I just found your suggestion amusing is all.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    17 Jun '10 09:42
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I offered up my position a long time ago and nobody challenged it. I just found your suggestion amusing is all.
    dunno what that position was. but assuming it was that of an atheist, it can't really be challenged. in order to do that, one has to bring proof. or by definition, theism has none. you either believe or you don't.

i can discuss with you different aspects of the bible as i see them. if you want a more fundamentalist look on it try freaky or robbie. but i can never "challenge" you. i can merely wave a life choice in your face. it is up to you to pick on it.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:231 edit
    Originally posted by yo its me
    Thank you for your support to my topic being in this forum. What's your take on it all? Have you ever met anyone who claimed to have this ablility and where do you think it comes from?
    I don't believe anyone has psychic ability (to kill goats with their minds, read thoughts, remote viewing, etc.). Some people have gifted insight and some extraordinary powers of observation. But that's all it is.

And Christianity has nothing to do with "psychic-ness". Nor does any other major religion I know of.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:24
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I don't believe anyone has psychic ability (to kill goats with their minds, read thoughts, remote viewing, etc.). Some people have gifted insight and some extraordinary powers of observation. But that's all it is.
    Agree on this.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:28

And Christianity has nothing to do with "psychic-ness". Nor does any other major religion I know of.
    The CIA seem to think that remote viewing is important enough to employ "psycics" to remote view for them.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 15:54
    The CIA seem to think that remote viewing is important enough to employ "psycics" to remote view for them.
    and my opinion of the CIA (and other parts of the US Government) is well known. These are the people who pay 400 for a hammer.
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '10 17:37
    and my opinion of the CIA (and other parts of the US Government) is well known. These are the people who pay 400 for a hammer.
    I've done it (remote viewing), I just cant control it,(and dont want to)
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Jul '10 23:16
    I've done it (remote viewing), I just cant control it,(and dont want to)
    You'll of course understand if I remain unconvinced.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Jul '10 00:331 edit
    You'll of course understand if I remain unconvinced.
    Of course, darling. Tis not my way to force anything. That would be a huge injustice to my mission...
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 22:05
    I saw the movie. Really good.
    The skeptics can have a laugh while the believers have some furthur "information" to research.

So a question for the skeptics: why did the us government take this approach to defense? because the russians were doing it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree