My pastor is a secret Atheist

My pastor is a secret Atheist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 May 12

An interview with 5 pastors who have continued in that role despite the loss of their faith:
http://www.epjournal.net/wp-content/uploads/EP08122150.pdf

A site devoted to pastors struggling with loss of belief:
http://clergyproject.org/

F

Moves
13 May 12
1 edit

Mother Teresa lost her faith for a long time too. From wiki: "Privately, Mother Teresa experienced doubts and struggles over her religious beliefs which lasted nearly 50 years until the end of her life, during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk. Mother Teresa expressed grave doubts about God's existence and pain over her lack of faith:

Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

It does rather shed an ugly light on her ostentatious "theology of suffering" and suffering would bring people closer to Jesus philosophy.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
13 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Mother Teresa lost her faith for a long time too. From wiki: "Privately, Mother Teresa experienced doubts and struggles over her religious beliefs which lasted nearly 50 years until the end of her life, during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk. Mother Teresa ...[text shortened]... ology of suffering" and suffering would bring people closer to Jesus philosophy.
Yes, it seems the ugly truth is coming out.

A former nun in her organization:
http://www.secularhumanism.org/library/fi/shields_18_1.html

A documentary by Christopher Hitchens:

Penn and Teller - I only include this because of a shocking comment from a Catholic leader.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
An interview with 5 pastors who have continued in that role despite the loss of their faith:

So why did they lose their beliefs? Were they false, empty, held no future, misleading, not in the Bible?

Matthew 23:27
American Standard Version (ASV)

27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which outwardly appear beautiful, but inwardly are full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Could this be what they have finally learned?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 May 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit

A pastor without faith, and people sit and listen to these guys why?
I guess a job is a job and those that are okay with that, are there because?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
Mother Teresa lost her faith for a long time too. From wiki: "Privately, Mother Teresa experienced doubts and struggles over her religious beliefs which lasted nearly 50 years until the end of her life, during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk. Mother Teresa ...[text shortened]... ology of suffering" and suffering would bring people closer to Jesus philosophy.
I don't know if she had a relationship with God or not, if not then I can see why
she struggled so. If she did have one, I don't see her writing this.
Kelly

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 May 12

My father in law that past away many years ago was a Baptist preacher for many years. He too lost his faith. My wife asked him when that happened, why and which was about the same time she began to study with the JW's.
So she asked why and why he never used the name of God which is Jehovah in his sermons?
He said he knew that Jehovah was God's name as his own bible said that clearly, but he said they did not want to know it or use that name because it messed up their belief in the trinity and overall they did not want to hear some of the real truths in the Bible.
He said they only wanted to have their ears tickled with the easy and smooth sounding stuff.
How incredibly sad..........

Moves
13 May 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Kelly
I heard one interviewed recently. It's not just a job to anybody who is any good. Apparently the difficulty comes from the degree to which a pastor's life is given over to the calling, pretty much 24/7, hearing and counseling on the most personal of matters. The congregation can feel betrayed. One person who went through this got a lot of hate for it. In a small community the pastor and their family can be shunned and have to leave. There can be, really, nowhere to turn.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
13 May 12
1 edit

Originally posted by JS357
I heard one interviewed recently. It's not just a job to anybody who is any good. Apparently the difficulty comes from the degree to which a pastor's life is given over to the calling, pretty much 24/7, hearing and counseling on the most personal of matters. The congregation can feel betrayed. One person who went through this got a lot of hate for it. In a sma ...[text shortened]... stor and their family can be shunned and have to leave. There can be, really, nowhere to turn.
So what?
Seriously, why would anyone want that job unless there is a call of God on their
lives? With God the issues anyone can face can either be overcome or with God
can be gone through. Being a Pastor is one of the most important jobs on the
planet, having the souls of those under your care who go to your church. If they
are just doing it for a pay check, the fellowship has a dead in their sins Pastor
whose focus isn't on what is important, but what is good for the Pastor. People
have lost their lives over the gospel, going through some heartache doesn't
compare.
Kelly

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by galveston75
So why did they lose their beliefs? Were they false, empty, held no future, misleading, not in the Bible?

Matthew 23:27
American Standard Version (ASV)

27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which outwardly appear beautiful, but inwardly are full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Could this be what they have finally learned?
Read the link to the study in the OP and you'll see why they lost their faith.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 May 12

Kelly
The congregations do not know their minister is an unbeliever. The ministers fake it because they can't afford to lose their job, family, and religious friends/community.

People are not OK with it once they find out. The minister is usually immediately kicked out of the church.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
15 May 12
1 edit

So what?
Seriously, why would anyone want that job unless there is a call of God on their
lives? With God the issues anyone can face can either be overcome or with God
can be gone through. Being a Pastor is one of the most important jobs on the
planet, having the souls of those under your care who go to your church. If they
are just doing it for a pay
have lost their lives over the gospel, going through some heartache doesn't
compare.
Kelly
This would be easier if people would read the links. Particularly the first one. 😞

These people thought that they had the call of God on their lives. They went into the ministry with enthusiasm, only to have their faith deteriorate.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 May 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF

It does rather shed an ugly light on her ostentatious "theology of suffering" and suffering would bring people closer to Jesus philosophy.
Well, no not really. Her crisis of faith is what the theology of suffering entails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_dryness

To a Catholic at least, 'being closer to Jesus' does not at all mean 'being happy, content or satisfied'.

w

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by FMF
So has King David it seems.

Psalsms 73:3 For I was envious of the arrogant, as I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no pains in their death, and their body is fat. They are not in trouble as other men, nor are they plagued like mankind. Therefore pride is their necklace, the garment of violence covers them. Their eyes bulge from fatness, the imaginations of their heart run riot. They mock, and wickedly speak of oppression. They speak from on high. They have set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongues parades through the earth. Therefore his people return to this place, and waters of abundance are drunk by them. And they say, "How does God know, and is there knowledge with the Most High?" Behold, those are the wicked and always at ease they have increased in wealth. Surely in vain I have kept my heart pure, and washed my hands in innocence. For I have been stricken all day long, and chasitened every morning.

Go figure.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 May 12

Originally posted by Conrau K
Well, no not really. Her crisis of faith is what the theology of suffering entails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritual_dryness

To a Catholic at least, 'being closer to Jesus' does not at all mean 'being happy, content or satisfied'.
No worst, there is none. Pitched past pitch of grief,
More pangs will, schooled at forepangs, wilder wring.
Comforter, where, where is your comforting?
Mary, mother of us, where is your relief?
My cries heave, herds-long; huddle in a main, a chief
Woe, wórld-sorrow; on an áge-old anvil wince and sing —
Then lull, then leave off. Fury had shrieked 'No ling-
ering! Let me be fell: force I must be brief."'

O the mind, mind has mountains; cliffs of fall
Frightful, sheer, no-man-fathomed. Hold them cheap
May who ne'er hung there. Nor does long our small
Durance deal with that steep or deep. Here! creep,
Wretch, under a comfort serves in a whirlwind: all
Life death does end and each day dies with sleep.

Gerard Manley Hopkins