New World Translation.

New World Translation.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Jun 13

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/genesis/1/ source JW's

1In [the] beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.

3And God proceeded to say: “Let light come to be.” Then there came to be light.4After that God saw that the light was good, and God brought about a division between the light and the darkness.5And God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night. And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a first day.

Genesis 1
New American Standard Bible (NASB) source www.biblegateway.com
The Creation

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was [a]formless and void, and darkness was over the [b]surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was [c]moving over the [d]surface of the waters. 3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

case and point if you read both translations you do get about the same meaning except where the spirit of God is called "God's active force" but we can get about the same meaning

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Jun 13

Genesis 1 (Young's Literal Translation)

Genesis 1
Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
1 In the beginning of God's preparing the heavens and the earth --
2 the earth hath existed waste and void, and darkness [is] on the face of the deep, and the Spirit of God fluttering on the face of the waters,
3 and God saith, `Let light be;' and light is.
4 And God seeth the light that [it is] good, and God separateth between the light and the darkness,
5 and God calleth to the light `Day,' and to the darkness He hath called `Night;' and there is an evening, and there is a morning -- day one.

Just picked this translation randomly LOL still get the same jist

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Jun 13

Originally posted by menace71
I have as much knowledge as you do about the last 100 years and I believe in providence ( the hand of God being in the affairs of man) You are very presumptuous to claim to know what others know. Man the forums were so peaceful without you guys stirring up trouble. You lump all people together I don't agree with RJ at least not on many issues and I don't ag ...[text shortened]... bias comes in there almost the same is my point. God is bigger even than the bible.

Manny
Oh so we stir up trouble? What exactly do you mean? Is it we don't agree with the status quo or you?
Do we have to to be accepted? Would you prefer we just give in and be like all the other religions even if it means we would now have to believe in paganistic beliefs and be a part of the worlds religions?
Would you have liked it if Jesus didn't stir things up?

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Jun 13

3 and God saith, `Let light be;' and light is. Love that 😉 I remember RC saying that where God says to Moses "I Am" is my name is not even proper English and I would say your right but God was revealing something about Himself there and I bet it sounds odd in any language. " I Am" The self existing one...I Am always present and I Am the Alpha and Omega fitting title (name) (as I know you guys like to split hairs and argue about every single point) for one who is outside of time and not bound by it.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 Jun 13

Yes trouble.......for the sake of trouble........Stirring up trouble no real encouragement no good words. It's all about trying to prove your right and that is it. I know I get caught up in this too but man oh man for real. You pose questions with no intent to hear an answer but to argue. You already know the answer to your original post. Why ask ? I do not think the NWT is the worst translation but I also do not think it is the best either SO WHAT ? I just proved from 3 different English translations that you can get the same basic meaning. To be fair I used the NWT first.

Manny

rc

Moves
04 Jun 13
3 edits

3 and God saith, `Let light be;' and light is. Love that 😉 I remember RC saying that where God says to Moses "I Am" is my name is not even proper English and I would say your right but God was revealing something about Himself there and I bet it sounds odd in any language. " I Am" The self existing one...I Am always present and I Am the Alpha and Ome ...[text shortened]... e about every single point) for one who is outside of time and not bound by it.

Manny
not only is (I am that I am) not even proper English, nor a proper translation, to pin some kind of doctrinal matter on it is a nonsense. Its funny how every time it comes to Jesus the trinitarians make a special case, someone else does obeisance, a form of eastern salutation and when it comes to Jesus it suddenly becomes an act of worship! The first born really does mean the first born as in progeny, but when it comes to Jesus it means something entirely different. When translating according to the Greek construct, an indefinite noun really is an indefinite noun, when it comes to Jesus, as the Word, it no longer is an indefinite noun but miraculously changes to a definite one, despite all other instances of Greek usage. Who is kidding who here?

k

Moves
04 Jun 13
1 edit

I have as much knowledge as you do about the last 100 years and I believe in providence ( the hand of God being in the affairs of man) You are very presumptuous to claim to know what others know. Man the forums were so peaceful without you guys stirring up trouble. You lump all people together I don't agree with RJ at least not on many issues and I don't ag bias comes in there almost the same is my point. God is bigger even than the bible.

Manny
Well put Manny

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jun 13

What about:

LOLCat Bible Translation Project

Genesis 1:1-5

Boreded Ceiling Cat makinkgz Urf n stuffs

1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem.

2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz.

3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz.

4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin.

5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

----
Even the LOLCats Bible knows the Holy Spirit is another person of God. 🙂

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Jun 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Who is kidding who here?
This is a really germane question.

Indeed, Who IS kidding who here?

No one is saved by semantics, robbie.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 13
2 edits

not only is (I am that I am) not even proper English, nor a proper translation, to pin some kind of doctrinal matter on it is a nonsense. Its funny how every time it comes to Jesus the trinitarians make a special case, someone else does obeisance, a form of eastern salutation and when it comes to Jesus it suddenly becomes an act of worship! The fir ...[text shortened]... changes to a definite one, despite all other instances of Greek usage. Who is kidding who here?
As Manny has pointed out God is not bound by language. God invented language and confounded man's language. So who are you to tell God what is good English or what is good Greek? God said to call him YHWH or just YH in the end. That YH with adding the vowel sound is "YAH" as is demonstrated by "Praise the Lord" in Hebrew as HalleluYah !!! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor

rc

Moves
04 Jun 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
As Manny has pointed out God is not bound by language. God invented language and confounded man's language. So who are you to tell God what is good English or what is good Greek? God said to call him YHWH or just YH in the end. That YH with adding the vowel sound is "YAH" as is demonstrated by "Praise the Lord" in Hebrew as HalleluYah !!! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
no but translators should be, the problem is, that your translators make a special case for Jesus, every time.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 13

no but translators should be, the problem is, that your translators make a special case for Jesus, every time.
Why not? Jesus is a special case.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor

rc

Moves
04 Jun 13
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
Why not? Jesus is a special case.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Glory be to God! Holy! Holy! Holy!

The Instructor
yes he certainly is, especially when it comes to translation and religious bias.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Jun 13

Yes trouble.......for the sake of trouble........Stirring up trouble no real encouragement no good words. It's all about trying to prove your right and that is it. I know I get caught up in this too but man oh man for real. You pose questions with no intent to hear an answer but to argue. You already know the answer to your original post. Why ask ? I do ...[text shortened]... translations that you can get the same basic meaning. To be fair I used the NWT first.

Manny
As I've told you before if you don't want to discuss this Manny, DON'T!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Jun 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
This is a really germane question.

Indeed, Who IS kidding who here?

No one is saved by semantics, robbie.
No ones is saved right now anyway except for the chosen ones....

But ones future is in the balance and worshipping God with truth is very important or maybe in some cases here with some it isn't, righ?.

If you want to believe "whatever" and do as you think is ok, then talk to your buddies here such as RJH. He does whatever he thinks is right in his eyes as most here do.
If you want to know the truths in the Bible, take the time to talk to one if us the next time we take the time out of our life's to come to your door....