1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 04:56
    Originally posted by @eladar
    What is the definition of gluttony?
    You are very fond of demanding people respond to your questions but quite reluctant in this thread to answer a simple question put to you.

Here you go chunky chops...

gluttony: noun
    habitual greed or excess in eating.
    synonyms: greed, greediness, overeating, overconsumption,
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:00
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    You are very fond of demanding people respond to your questions but quite reluctant in this thread to answer a simple question put to you.

Here you go chunky chops...

gluttony: noun
    habitual greed or excess in eating.
    synonyms: greed, greediness, overeating, overconsumption,
    Jesus said that what goes into your stomach does not cause you to sin.

I guess this means the kind of gluttony you are talking about is not sinful.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:04

Oh dear, you really have got the gluts bad haven't you. Jesus was talking about the type of food one eats and being free from the food laws as you very well know.

Are you going to answer my question?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:30
    Oh dear, you really have got the gluts bad haven't you. Jesus was talking about the type of food one eats and being free from the food laws as you very well know.

Are you going to answer my question?
    Jesus was talking about food. Food is an external. Jesus aays that what comes out of the heart is what is sinful.

This would explain why it is never brought up in the NT.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:38
    Jesus was talking about food. Food is an external. Jesus aays that what comes out of the heart is what is sinful.

This would explain why it is never brought up in the NT.
    So anal sex between men isn't sinful because it is external and it doesn't come from the heart?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 05:58
    So anal sex between men isn't sinful because it is external and it doesn't come from the heart?
    Fornication is something listed by Jesus as a result of evil in the heart. Paul lists homosexuality as sinful too.

As for the thoughts, no difgerent than any other immoral thought. If you agree with God that it is sunful and do not dwell on it, then forgiven temptation most likely.

Dwelling on it and believing it ok, then sinful.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:434 edits

This is no way to excuse ourselves as Christians from lack of self control in eating.

First, if a Christian has a problem in some area they should not be afraid to come to the Great High Priest Jesus and confess their weakness.

You have to start with confession and not excusing with funny twists on passages.

To confess is not a promise to do better through self improvement.
    It is a beginning to acknowledge that apart from His grace, you cannot change.
    He already knows that.
    We should admit it.

I have some experience in the eating thing. So I think I can speak.

I would start here with a prayer something like this:

Lord Jesus, I confess that I love tasty food sometimes more than You. Lord Jesus, like the Israelites in the desert whom You had to discipline even while the food they craved was still being chewed (Number 11:33) Lord, I too can be completely dragged away from Your presence by the over indulgence in a tasty meal.

Furthermore Lord, I eat because of other reasons beside my legitimate need for sustenance.

Lord, I come to You. You have to change me where I cannot change myself. Lord increase my enjoyment of You. Show me the meat to eat of which some know nothing about (John 4:32) . Lord Jesus show me the deeper pleasure of letting you be Lord even of my eating. Thankyou Lord Jesus. "

We have to learn to grow up into Him in all things. The things which are related to legitimate needs like eating, TOO must be brought under His reigning in us.

Now I too like all kinds of tasty food. So I am not talking down to you.
    We do not want to be buried in "Graves of Lust" as the Israelites in the wilderness.

"While the meat was still between their teeth, before it was chewed, the anger of Jehovah was kindled against the people, and Jehovah struck the people with a very severe plague.

And the name of that place was called Kibroth-hattaavah,
    ["graves of craving" or "lust' ] because there they buried the people who lusted." (Num. 11:33,34)

One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is "self control" in (Galatians 5:23) .
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:45
    Fornication is something listed by Jesus as a result of evil in the heart. Paul lists homosexuality as sinful too.

As for the thoughts, no difgerent than any other immoral thought. If you agree with God that it is sunful and do not dwell on it, then forgiven temptation most likely.

Dwelling on it and believing it ok, then sinful.
    But gluttony isn't sinful because it's not mentioned in the NT and Jesus said all food was ok...? Oh yes, and because you are overweight through eating too much, and so like most American gluttons you will continue to point the finger at other people but not at yourself. Got it.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:48
    But gluttony isn't sinful because it's not mentioned in the NT and Jesus said all food was ok...? Oh yes, and because you are overweight through eating too much, and so like most American gluttons you will continue to point the finger at other people but not at yourself. Got it.
    I've answered your questions.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:54
    Originally posted by @sonship

This is no way to excuse ourselves as Christians from lack of self control in eating.

First, if a Christian has a problem in some area they should not be afraid to come to the Great H ...[text shortened]...

One of the fruits of the Holy Spirit is [b]"self control"
    in (Galatians 5:23) .[/b]
    I'd say the sin in eating too much is eating foid that could be goven to a hungry person. If this is the case then eating expensive food is the new gluttony.

Using your money on yourself instead of others is the sin.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:54
    I've answered your questions.
    Not really. All you've done is made excuses for your behaviour, you even have sonship calling you out over it.

Furthermore, my original piece with you was over your hypocrisy earlier in the thread where you were pitching an argument that something didn't require multiple scriptures to be a truth and yet with gluttony you are claiming it does require multiple scriptures. I've called you on this specific point at least 10 times in this thread and you kept ignoring it.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:561 edit
    I'd say the sin in eating too much is eating foid that could be goven to a hungry person. If this is the case then eating expensive food is the new gluttony.

Using your money on yourself instead of others is the sin.
    Gluttony is as bad as drunkenness which is as bad as fornication which is as bad a homosexuality. You just don't like the truth.

I've given you the definition you asked for and I'm certain it applies to you.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 06:59
    Glutting is as bad as drunkenness which is as bad as fornication which is as bad a homosexuality. You just don't like the truth.

I've given you the definition you asked for and I'm certain it applies to you.
    I know your religious beliefs and those beliefs will land you in hell soon enough.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 07:01
    I know your religious beliefs and those beliefs will land you in hell soon enough.
    Threatening me with hell and your terrorist version of god just because you disagree with me, has no impact on me Eladar, surely you must realise this?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Jul '17 07:03
    Threatening me with hell and your terrorist version of god just because you disagree with me, has no impact on me Eladar, surely you must realise this?
    I'm not threatening you with hell, Jesus is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree