1. Standard memberCalWriter
    Creative Genius
    Literary Lion Land
    Joined
    12 Sep '04
    Moves
    75934
    02 Apr '05 02:37
    I pray that the pope passes in peace and goes to his reward. I pray that people can take from his example of living a good life and striving to be more than they think they can be. I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

    Amen
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 02:41
    Originally posted by CalWriter
    I pray that the pope passes in peace and goes to his reward. I pray that people can take from his example of living a good life and striving to be more than they think they can be. I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

    Amen
    I'm agreeing in prayer with you on those first two sentences, brother.

    Amen.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    02 Apr '05 02:52
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I'm agreeing in prayer with you on those first two sentences, brother.

    Amen.
    I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

    Why would you not pray that the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church be guided by wisdom
    and the Holy Spirit for the selection of a new Pope that he might be a credit to the people of God?

    Nemesio
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 02:55
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

    Why would you [b]not
    pray that the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church be guided by wisdom
    and the Holy Spirit for the selection of a new Pope that he might be a credit to the people of God?

    Nemesio
    [/b]
    There is no leader of Christ's church but Christ.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    02 Apr '05 02:55
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

    Why would you [b]not
    pray that the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church be guided by wisdom
    and the Holy Spirit for the selection of a new Pope that he might be a credit to the people of God?

    Nemesio
    [/b]
    because he's an anti-Catholic bigot, perhaps

    As a lapsed Catholic, I'll join in the prayer for a new leader of the Church, and a peaceful passing for one who served through tumultous times.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    02 Apr '05 02:56
    Are there any front-runners for his successor?
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 02:56
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    because he's an anti-Catholic bigot, perhaps

    As a lapsed Catholic, I'll join in the prayer for a new leader of the Church, and a peaceful passing for one who served through tumultous times.
    Anti Catholic? Of course not.

    Anti Catholic Church? Of course.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Joined
    08 Dec '04
    Moves
    16907
    02 Apr '05 03:05
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Anti Catholic? Of course not.

    Anti Catholic Church? Of course.
    a fine distinction that amounts to no difference

    at the same time, you invent all sorts of names for those of us you challenge your fundamental errors of fact and logic

    I am not opposed to Christianity or Christians; I do oppose those views that are detrimental to civil society and improvements in human culture (such as your anti-science tirades)
  9. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    02 Apr '05 03:12
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Anti Catholic Church? Of course.
    You spiteful, hateful, arrogant jerk! Why on earth would you not pray for
    a church to have good leadership. The Bible has specific and explicit mention
    of a hierarchy of power, with bishops above priests, and priests above deacons.

    The Pope isn't, and doesn't claim to the be, the ultimate leader of the church,
    but only the representative of the leadership of the earthly church. For you
    not to pray for the next leader to be a wise and Spirit-filled one is just a
    demonstration of the contempt with which you hold other traditions trying to
    do the same thing you are: be the best Christians they can be.

    Nemesio
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Joined
    05 Mar '02
    Moves
    32455
    02 Apr '05 03:14
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Are there any front-runners for his successor?
    It is always a great mystery. In modern times, Popes have always been
    surprises -- dark horses, so to speak. I'm sure that there are some major
    contenders, but that doesn't mean anything.

    Perhaps Father Ivanhoe, being a member of the Inner Circle, would have
    some commentary or insight.

    Nemesio
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 03:25
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    a fine distinction that amounts to no difference

    at the same time, you invent all sorts of names for those of us you challenge your fundamental errors of fact and logic

    I am not opposed to Christianity or Christians; I do oppose those views that are detrimental to civil society and improvements in human culture (such as your anti-science tirades)
    Show me my anti-science tirades. Even one. If you're referring to Darwinism, that isn't science, that's an outdated agenda.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 03:27
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    You spiteful, hateful, arrogant jerk! Why on earth would you not pray for
    a church to have good leadership. The Bible has specific and explicit mention
    of a hierarchy of power, with bishops above priests, and priests above deacons.

    The Pope isn't, and doesn't claim to the be, the ultimate leader of the church,
    but only the representative of the ...[text shortened]... traditions trying to
    do the same thing you are: be the best Christians they can be.

    Nemesio
    I'm not spiteful, hateful or arrogant. And cite the verses that says "hierarchy" please. Cite the verses that support your "deacons above bishops" stance.

    Then I'll cite the verse that says "Call no one on earth father, for you have one Father, which is in Heaven."

    I will pray for the Catholic Church to repent before God and become a true church for Christ. I will not pray for a leader to lead more souls astray.

    If they were attempting to be the best Christians they could be, they would hold the Word of God above the word of men. They don't.
  13. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Joined
    14 Jun '02
    Moves
    17381
    02 Apr '05 03:30
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    You spiteful, hateful, arrogant jerk! Why on earth would you not pray for a church to have good leadership?
    Nemesio
    For the obvious reason: Darfius is not an actual Christian. He uses Christianity as a mouthpiece through which to voice his own brand of vitriol. We should all hope that the next Pope is virtuous and wise, and that he has direct experiential knowledge of the divine.
  14. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    02 Apr '05 03:321 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    I'm not spiteful, hateful or arrogant. And cite the verses that says "hierarchy" please. Cite the verses that support your "deacons above bishops" stance.

    Then I'll cite the verse that says "Call no one on earth father, for you ...[text shortened]... ey would hold the Word of God above the word of men. They don't.
    You don't call your biological father 'father'?
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    02 Apr '05 03:41
    Originally posted by bbarr
    For the obvious reason: Darfius is not an actual Christian. He uses Christianity as a mouthpiece through which to voice his own brand of vitriol. We should all hope that the next Pope is virtuous and wise, and that he has direct experiential knowledge of the divine.
    That was hurtful, but I'll answer it with:

    10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

    10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.


Back to Top