Prayer for the pope and the church

Prayer for the pope and the church

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 05

Originally posted by Darfius
I'm saying Jesus told us not to call anyone on earth 'father'.
I'm kind of confused. It seems that calling a priest "father" is somehow not good for you. But many protestant ministers are called "brother" even though they share no biological connection. Do you have problems with that as well?

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
I'm kind of confused. It seems that calling a priest "father" is somehow not good for you. But many protestant ministers are called "brother" even though they share no biological connection. Do you have problems with that as well?
What precisely is confusing? Jesus said don't do something so I recommend not doing it.

Jesus Himself said "those who hear the Father's words and obey them are my brothers and my mother".

Which means calling a brother-in-Christ a brother is Scripturally supported. While calling the Pope "Holy Father" is Scripturally condemned.

What exactly is difficult about not calling your biological male parent father? Is there some sort of protocal demanding it?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 05

What precisely is confusing? Jesus said don't do something so I recommend not doing it.

Jesus Himself said "those who hear the Father's words and obey them are my brothers and my mother".

Which means calling a brother-in-Christ a brother is Scripturally supported. While calling the Pope "Holy Father" is Scripturally condemned.

What exactly ...[text shortened]... ut not calling your biological male parent father? Is there some sort of protocal demanding it?
I think another way to interpret what Jesus was saying is that if you do the will of God you are part of another more important family. Various faiths get there by different "methods" and rituals, so the Catholics get there with this type of language. Look, we have a pope that just died that played one hell of a role in ending communism. That seems like a noble goal. As one communist leader in Poland was recorded saying after he learned that John Paul 2 was going to be pope: "Oh, no, now we're going to have to kiss his ass." I think we can percevorate on the "quirks" of things we don't like or we can affirm the good that people do in spite of what we may not like.

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05
1 edit

I think another way to interpret what Jesus was saying is that if you do the will of God you are part of another more important family. Various faiths get there by different "methods" and rituals, so the Catholics get there with this ...[text shortened]... n affirm the good that people do in spite of what we may not like.
Are you claiming that the will of God is to ignore the Word of God?

6 All of us have become like one who is unclean,

and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags;

we all shrivel up like a leaf,

and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
03 Apr 05

I'm saying Jesus told us not to call anyone on earth 'father'.
Oh my GOOOOOOOOD, well I'll tack that up with the rest of your either crazy ideas.

1) People who do not believe as Darfius does = Hitler.
2) A world with child rape is better than one without it.
3) The Bible provides compeling evidence that the Titans of Greek mythology lived.
4) A secret group of sex-obsessed angel-people probably built the pyramids.
5) Slavery is just a cultural thing.
6) Genocide is no big deal.

And now number 7:

It is wrong to call anyone on earth 'father,' even if that person really is your father.

Ten Commandments of Darfius anyone?

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

Originally posted by telerion
Oh my GOOOOOOOOD, well I'll tack that up with the rest of your either crazy ideas.

1) People who do not believe as Darfius does = Hitler.
2) A world with child rape is better than one without it.
3) The Bible provides compeling evidence that the Titans of Greek mythology lived.
4) A secret group of sex-obsessed angel-people probably built the ...[text shortened]... th 'father,' even if that person really is your father.

Ten Commandments of Darfius anyone?
I forgive you, tel.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 05

Are you claiming that the will of God is to ignore the Word of God?
I wondered how you got that out of what I wrote, but now that I think about it, the answer to your question is "yes" . The "Word of God" often was ignored by Jesus. Pharisees tended to have trouble with him doing that. So I'm saying the will of God supercedes the "word of God."

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

I wondered how you got that out of what I wrote, but now that I think about it, the answer to your question is "yes" . The "Word of God" often was ignored by Jesus. Pharisees tended to have trouble with him doing that. So I'm saying the will of God supercedes the "word of God."
Where exactly did Jesus ignore the Word of God?

I'm especially interested because He said "I have not come to abolish the Law (Old Testament), but to fulfill it."

Please back up your statement, "Reverend".

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:40)

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 05

Where exactly did Jesus ignore the Word of God?

I'm especially interested because He said "I have not come to abolish the Law (Old Testament), but to fulfill it."

Please back up your statement, "Reverend".
He harvested grain on the Sabbath as I recall. He healed on the Sabbath.

If you could despense with the condescension, it would be appreciated.

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

He harvested grain on the Sabbath as I recall. He healed on the Sabbath.

If you could despense with the condescension, it would be appreciated.
You're blaspheming my Lord saying He ignored the Word of God and I'm supposed to not be agitated?

Cite me verses, please. Not paraphrasing. And please address my post about the Father's will.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 Apr 05

You're blaspheming my Lord saying He ignored the Word of God and I'm supposed to not be agitated?

Cite me verses, please. Not paraphrasing. And please address my post about the Father's will.
I'm growing very weary of your agitation. You profess to be a biblical genius so I will not do your homework for you. I hope you find a church soon. You are acting like the pharisees that who put the "word of God" before the will of God.

Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient, so don't go after me.

The Apologist

Moves
03 Apr 05

I'm growing very weary of your agitation.

I'm growing weary of your extra-Biblical stances. It sends a confusing message to non-Christians about what the Lord considers proper and reveals as such in His Word.

You profess to be a biblical genius so I will not do your homework for you.

I profess no such thing. I've studied His Word, but I haven't memorized it.

I hope you find a church soon. You are acting like the pharisees that who put the "word of God" before the will of God.

The Pharisees put extra-Biblical traditions before the will of God. Sound familiar?

Jesus' sacrifice was sufficient, so don't go after me.

I'm not attacking your salvation. I'm attacking your extra-Biblical, borderline heretical beliefs. The Lord salvation was sufficient, but when we act and profess beliefs that are contradictory to what He taught, it implies we may not have that salvation.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
03 Apr 05

I forgive you, tel.
Well, you're still a kid so I guess I'll forgive you too. I hope you abandon these seven misguided principles by the time you grow up though.

U
Solacriptura

Moves
03 Apr 05

If one believes scripture then here it is:

Matthew 28-8-9
23:8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
23:9 And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.

Notice the first "father" is not capitalized, the second is denoting God the Father.

referring to each other as "brethren" or brother is scripturally sound.

Of coarse I may be called a Bigot because I have pointed out what scripture says and there are churches who ignore scripture and follow religious tradition....