1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You don't call your biological father 'father'?
    My biological father was never my father. And I haven't seen him since I was 10, so it was never a problem. 🙂

But even if he had been a better dad, I would have called him dad. Until I read the Scripture. Then I would call him by his first name.

I most assuredly wouldn't call him "Holy Father".
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:44
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    It is always a great mystery. In modern times, Popes have always been
    surprises -- dark horses, so to speak. I'm sure that there are some major
    contenders, but that doesn't mean anything.

Perhaps Father Ivanhoe, being a member of the Inner Circle, would have
    some commentary or insight.

Nemesio
    In terms of where the world wide need is right now, I would find it refreshing if an African were chosen.
  3. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:47
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    In terms of where the world wide need is right now, I would find it refreshing if an African were chosen.
    So long as the Vatican exists, this will never never never never never never happen.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:48
    Originally posted by Darfius
    That was hurtful, but I'll answer it with:

10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Fath ...[text shortened]... k not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword

[/b]
    It hurts because it is true. You represent the very worst of the religious tradition of Christianity, and have adopted the trappings of the faith without eating its fruit. The fruits are universal kindness and compassion and understanding, not vengefulness, hatefulness and spite.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:50
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It hurts because it is true. You represent the very worst of the religious tradition of Christianity, and have adopted the trappings of the faith without eating its fruit. The fruits are universal kindness and compassion and understanding, not vengefulness, hatefulness and spite.
    I will say again...I am not vengeful, hateful or spiteful. Can you give me an example of where I have been?

I'm sharing God's Word with you, and you deem it hateful because it makes you examine yourself in the light.

I am sorry you have that impression of me, but the fact that I am hated for my Lord's sake heartens me. Thank you.
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:52
    That was hurtful, but I'll answer it with:

10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Fath ...[text shortened]... k not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword

[/b]
    Yes, you are a bloody martyr. Blessed are those who are persecuted.

Jesus would be ashamed of any Christian who doesn't pray for those
    who try to lead a church in His name.

Nemesio
  7. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:53
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yes, you are a bloody martyr. Blessed are those who are persecuted.

Jesus would be ashamed of any Christian who doesn't pray for those
    who try to lead a church in His name.

Nemesio
    Yes He would. But since the Pope led the RCC in Mary's name, I have nothing to worry about. 😉
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:54
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    How about Desmond Tutu? Would he be a front runner?
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:54
    I will say again...I am not vengeful, hateful or spiteful. Can you give me an example of where I have been?

I'm sharing God's Word with you, and you deem it hateful because it makes you examine yourself in the light.

I am sorry you have that impression of me, but the fact that I am hated for my Lord's sake heartens me. Thank you.
    What's the best thing you can say about Bbarr?
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:55

You are sharing your words with me Darfius, not God's. The divine doesn't discriminate between Catholics and Protestants and Hindus and Buddhists. The divine doesn't care for the trappings of religious tradition, nor forms of worship. The divine doesn't care if your adonai is Jesus or Nanak or Lao-Tzu. Christ came with a sword to sever our attachments to the world, not to sever us from our own humanity.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 03:57
    Originally posted by darvlay
    How about Desmond Tutu? Would he be a front runner?
    Ahem. Desmond Tutu is a filthy Anglican.

(THAT'S A JOKE!)

Seriously, he is in the wrong denomination to be eligible. The Book of Common Prayer
    (the Anglican Prayerbook) still has a line about the Romish Popery or some such thing.

Nemesio
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 04:01
    but the fact that I am hated for my Lord's sake heartens me. Thank you.
    I don't hate you, or I would ignore you.

I pity you and I mourn for you, for I was once a dogmatic, self-righteous, Bible-thumping Creationist. My Catholic uncle and sister, my Baptist minister, and a gay friend from Al-Anon set me back on the course to reason, each in their own ways. These were not the only ones, but they each contributed something of value.

Among the most spiritual people I've ever known: my sister, my late-wife, a poet I know in Seattle, ...
  13. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 04:02
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    So long as the Vatican exists, this will never never never never never never happen.
    I disagree with both Kirk and the Doctor.

The African Church is notoriously conservative and a candidate from there would
    likely make John Paul II look like John Shelby Spong! For my part, I would not
    find that the interests of the Church Universal would benefit from an African (or
    South American) Pope-elect.

In modern history, conservative Popes have been followed by moderate Popes
    (and vice-versa). As such, I'd be surprised if an African or South American
    cardinal were elected as Pope at this time.

And, Doctor, you are quite wrong. There are some very serious contenders coming
    from Africa. There would be only one region for the new Pope that I would consider
    shocking, and that would be the USA.

Nemesio
  14. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 04:54
    Originally posted by CalWriter
    I pray that the pope passes in peace and goes to his reward. I pray that people can take from his example of living a good life and striving to be more than they think they can be. I pray that the leadership of the church can be guided by wisdom and the holy spirit to choose a new leader that wil be a credit to the people of God.

Amen
    According to our friends Darfius and Blindfaith, your god does whatever s/he wants to do, so what's the point of praying? If your god is omnipotent, what notice will s/he take of prayer?
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    02 Apr '05 05:03
    There is no leader of Christ's church but Christ.

Darfius, please don't take the bait.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree