Prayer

Prayer

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Oct 12

A continuation of another thread.

So how do you account for prayer not working in this instance?

Take 1 John 5:14-15 -

14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.

This passage indicates that God heard the prayers asking for the safe return of this woman yet tragically she didn't return. So if God heard the prayers and yet they weren't answered what do you put that down to?

rc

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob

[quote]14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have ask ...[text shortened]... eturn. So if God heard the prayers and yet they weren't answered what do you put that down to?
Has it occurred to you that she might have been dead already?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Has it occurred to you that she might have been dead already?
She may have been.

The general question still stands though, how do you reconcile God answering some prayers and not answering others?

rc

Moves
26 Oct 12

She may have been.

The general question still stands though, how do you reconcile God answering some prayers and not answering others?
As the verse states, its according to his will.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

Essentially it says God listens to your prayers, then goes and does whatever he likes. If your prayer happens to match what he chooses to do, then your prayer is considered 'answered'.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 12

[quote]14 And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have ask ...[text shortened]... eturn. So if God heard the prayers and yet they weren't answered what do you put that down to?
I believe God answers our prayers just as the scripture you quoted says, I do not
always know what God's will is. God allows us to do things here we should not,
there would be no need to command anyone to follow if we all just did what God
wanted. So He is for His reasons letting our lives play out as we want both for the
good and the bad, I put that down as we live in a fallen world and what occured
is just our fallen nature being revealed for what it is, you don't see a loving kind
person doing that.
Kelly

rc

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
Essentially it says God listens to your prayers, then goes and does whatever he likes. If your prayer happens to match what he chooses to do, then your prayer is considered 'answered'.
not quite,

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
I believe God answers our prayers just as the scripture you quoted says, I do not
always know what God's will is. God allows us to do things here we should not,
there would be no need to command anyone to follow if we all just did what God
wanted. So He is for His reasons letting our lives play out as we want both for the
good and the bad, I put that do ...[text shortened]... n nature being revealed for what it is, you don't see a loving kind
person doing that.
Kelly
" I do not always know what God's will is."

" if we all just did what God wanted."

So is the sin in not knowing what God's will is, or not doing what God want's i.e the sin of ignorance or disobedience?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

Originally posted by kevcvs57
" I do not always know what God's will is."

" if we all just did what God wanted."

So is the sin in not knowing what God's will is, or not doing what God want's i.e the sin of ignorance or disobedience?
Sin is going against what you know is right. You don't have to know God's will on
anything to sin, you can know you should keep your word be honest, and
whatever standard you hold others to and when you go against that you are sinning
against your own enlightenment. I don't know why things occur the way they do,
or why God allows something things to happen the way they do, that does not
mean that I get to break the laws I am aware of, either God's or my own.
Kelly

F

Moves
26 Oct 12
1 edit

Sin is going against what you know is right. You don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, you can know you should keep your word be honest, and whatever standard you hold others to and when you go against that you are sinning against your own enlightenment.
So a sexual relationship, without deceit or coercion, without being married, is OK, i.e. not "sin"?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
So a sexual relationship, without deceit or coercion, without being married, is OK, i.e. not "sin"?
I didn't say that.
Kelly

F

Moves
26 Oct 12

I didn't say that.
Kelly
It's a question.

What you said was: "Sin is going against what you know is right. You don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, you can know you should keep your word be honest, and whatever standard you hold others to and when you go against that you are sinning against your own enlightenment."

So as long as you are honest and treat others by the same standard as you hold them to, you don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, right?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
26 Oct 12

Originally posted by FMF
It's a question.

What you said was:[b] "Sin is going against what you know is right. You don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, you can know you should keep your word be honest, and whatever standard you hold others to and when you go against that you are sinning against your own enlightenment."

So as long as you are honest and treat others ...[text shortened]... tandard as you hold them to, you don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, right?[/b]
I pointed out that you can sin against your own rules/laws whatever you want to
call them. You are still subject to God, it is no different than driving down the
road going 70 mph and the police giving you a ticket for speeding in a 55 zone,
you not knowing the speed limit does not excuse you from the law.
Kelly

F

Moves
26 Oct 12

I pointed out that you can sin against your own rules/laws whatever you want to
call them. You are still subject to God, it is no different than driving down the
road going 70 mph and the police giving you a ticket for speeding in a 55 zone,
you not knowing the speed limit does not excuse you from the law.
Kelly
Well that's a bit odd. Here's the exchange:

Originally posted by kevcvs57

Sin is going against what you know is right. You don't have to know God's will on anything to sin, you can know you should keep your word be honest, and whatever standard you hold others to and when you go against that you are sinning against your own enlightenment.

But when pressed on this you now say that you DO have to know God's will to sin?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
26 Oct 12

Scenario for you -

A person goes into theatre for life saving surgery, the family who are Christians pray to God that their loved one survives. Unfortunately their loved one doesn't make it.

In the above example are you saying that God hears this families prayers yet decides that this person surviving the operation is not part of his will and lets the person die? If surviving the operation was part of his will then could he have saved this person?