1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    'things have gone to hell?' in what way?
    Look around you my friend. Then look back to 1956. It was a far simpler time. At least in America. Government actually cared about its citizens. Corporations still made money hand over fist, even without ripping off Americans. Greed was nowhere as rampant as today. Even advertising on TV was not as loud and obnoxious as today. Infomercials were unknown. Corporations gave actual value for what the consumer spent. Government was not yet in the pockets of big business or the military-industrial complex. Financial institutions earned money "the old-fashioned way". Fewer people locked their doors, even at night. Chances are you actually knew your neighbor's names. Getting knifed on the subway coming home from work was so rare that it actually was talked about for weeks when it happened, even in NYC. Road rage didn't even exist. Kids did not go to school armed to the teeth. Kids didn't grow up having more prescriptions than their parents. "Political Correctness" wasn't a thing yet. Because of unions, most Americans enjoyed a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Businesses didn't outsource or move to China so they could pay their employees next to nothing. "Reality TV" didn't exist. No one had to worry about GMO food.

Trust me, I could go on, but I think you get my drift.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '14 15:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Look around you my friend. Then look back to 1956.
    I reckon the world is a better place now than it was in 1956.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 May '14 15:55
    Yes, I read it. Excuse me if your arguments are not the "eye-opener" you think they are. I think they have more to do with massaging your own ego than making any sense. What you trust God about has no bearing on my point, which is that it is far better to trust God than to trust Man. Shoving all your assumptions into my reasons for saying what I said do ...[text shortened]... sting is what I said. I "seriously" wasn't aware that I needed your approval to say it, either.
    You sound a bit like robbie carrobie talking to you. 😉
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:21
    Look around you my friend. Then look back to 1956. It was a far simpler time. At least in America. Government actually cared about its citizens. Corporations still made money hand over fist, even without ripping off Americans. Greed was nowhere as rampant as today. Even advertising on TV was not as loud and obnoxious as today. Infomercials were unkn ...[text shortened]... . No one had to worry about GMO food.

Do you reckon an African American thinks living in 1956 US would be better than here today?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:311 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I reckon the world is a better place now than it was in 1956.
    She must have been in her 20s then [1956], to think that period was so great. So you better be careful arguing with a 80 something year old woman. You might give her a heart attack 😀
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:41
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Do you reckon an African American thinks living in 1956 US would be better than here today?
    We live in the greatest period in the history of the world. Its a pity so many stupid Christians cannot see that.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:44
    Do you reckon it's better to have racism shoved in your face or to suffer racism "under the table", where you can't even accuse someone of it because they just deny it [and many people would consider your accusation more awful than the actual racism]? There's plenty of racism alive now in this world. Just ask any white woman who dates a black man. They understand there's still racism, ask them about comments they still receive in whispers, people just don't openly talk about it, but only because we've succeeded in making racism "socially unacceptable", like smoking.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:49
    Do you reckon it's better to have racism shoved in your face or to suffer racism "under the table", where you can't even accuse someone of it because they just deny it [and many people would consider your accusation more awful than the actual racism]? There's plenty of racism alive now in this world. Just ask any white woman who dates a black man. They u ...[text shortened]... out it, but only because we've succeeded in making racism "socially unacceptable", like smoking.
    Is that a yes or no?
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:56
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    We live in the greatest period in the history of the world. Its a pity so many stupid Christians cannot see that.
    What an incredibly humanistic thing to say.

Will you still be saying this once you're told to take the mark of the beast or die? Or when you're told that in order to get your ration of food this week you must give up the names of your Christian neighbors? Do you deny the coming Tribulation? It's okay, I suppose, to put your head under a barrel when faced with something that scary.

Do you really think God is alive in more hearts across the world than ever before? Or do more people claim to have God in their hearts than ever before?

I look at governments and corporations around the world and see far more people concerned with their own wealth than with the needs of the people. Greed is at epidemic levels. The gap between the 'haves' and the 'have-nots' is the greatest in history. And it's not going to get better anytime soon.

It's not surprising that many who 'call' themselves Christian cannot see that.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 16:58
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    She must have been in her 20s then [1956], to think that period was so great. So you better be careful arguing with a 80 something year old woman. You might give her a heart attack 😀
    1956 was the year that the United States adopted "In God We Trust" as our national motto.

There's no way in hell that would pass today.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 May '14 17:02
    Is that a yes or no?
    Glad to see discussion is dead with you. All you care about is making your point. Good luck with that.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 May '14 17:06
    Glad to see discussion is dead with you. All you care about is making your point. Good luck with that.
    I asked you a question which you ignored so I asked it again, which you again ignored. Are you Robbie Carrobie in disguise?

Do you think an African American would rather live 1956 or 2014?
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    29 May '14 18:02
    Since when did 'making a point' become a bad thing? Surely that's what we do when having a debate.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    29 May '14 18:11
    I asked you a question which you ignored so I asked it again, which you again ignored. Are you Robbie Carrobie in disguise?

Do you think an African American would rather live 1956 or 2014?
    I could think of a couple of groups who would prefer the 1956 period to now. They include:

- leaders of communist regimes
    - leaders and beneficiaries of the apartheid regime in South Africa
    - Captains of industry who did not foresee how quickly technology would develop, and they subsequently were left behind
    - racist/separatist groups
    - the US motor car industry 😀
    - those who benefited from the exploitation of women and children
    - the anti-gay crowd
    - makers of vinyl records.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 May '14 19:55
    Look around you my friend. Then look back to 1956. It was a far simpler time. At least in America. Government actually cared about its citizens. Corporations still made money hand over fist, even without ripping off Americans. Greed was nowhere as rampant as today. Even advertising on TV was not as loud and obnoxious as today. Infomercials were unkn ...[text shortened]... . No one had to worry about GMO food.

can you list the things that you think are better now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree