1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 15:222 edits
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    The problem is if your moral standard is evolving and can contradict itself, can that system of moral determination be true since it can produce self-contradiction?
    Changing one’s mind might produce statements that on the surface are contradictory moral judgements, but that situation is readily distinguished from a case of logical contradiction, by examining the circumstances of the change.

If you honestly say you have never changed your mind on a moral judgement you have made, I would doubt the extent to which you have experience with life.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 15:49
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    You may as well ask where cornflakes came from if there is no god.
    We know where cornflakes came from, do you know where logic came from? What reason do you have to trust your own logic?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 15:51
    Originally posted by @js357
    Changing one’s mind might produce statements that on the surface are contradictory moral judgements, but that situation is readily distinguished from a case of logical contradiction, by examining the circumstances of the change.

If you honestly say you have never changed your mind on a moral judgement you have made, I would doubt the extent to which you have experience with life.
    Give me an example that you have changed your mind on.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 17:23
    Give me an example that you have changed your mind on.
    When very young I was taught that lying was always morally wrong and I believed it. Now I believe that lying is sometimes morally justified, even obligatory, when it will prevent a greater evil.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 19:17
    We know where cornflakes came from, do you know where logic came from? What reason do you have to trust your own logic?
    I'm sure Logic and cornflakes are both Man's invention/discovery.

As for trusting my own logic.
    1. It is not my logic, I do not own it.
    2. Logic is the discipline of reasoned thinking. Surely by definition it can be trusted???
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Dec '17 22:49
    Originally posted by @dj2beckerWe know where cornflakes came from, do you know where logic came from? What reason do you have to trust your own logic?
    ...he said, all logically.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 07:44
    When very young I was taught that lying was always morally wrong and I believed it. Now I believe that lying is sometimes morally justified, even obligatory, when it will prevent a greater evil.
    When you say 'greater evil' you mean something that is subjectively 'greater evil' or something that is objectively 'greater evil'?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 07:49
    I'm sure Logic and cornflakes are both Man's invention/discovery.

As for trusting my own logic.
    1. It is not my logic, I do not own it.
    2. Logic is the discipline of reasoned thinking. Surely by definition it can be trusted???
    Do you believe there such things as logical absolutes? For example . . . A cannot be both A and not A at the same time?

If so, in an atheistic presuppositional worldview, how do you account for the existence of logical absolutes?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Dec '17 15:401 edit
    When you say 'greater evil' you mean something that is subjectively 'greater evil' or something that is objectively 'greater evil'?
    I mean something I believe is a greater evil. That has to be a good enough reason.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 03:41
    I mean something I believe is a greater evil. That has to be a good enough reason.
    I would agree if evil and ‘greater evil’ can be objectively defined and is real and not just a construct of the human mind. If it is simply a construct of the human mind, why would it even matter if people defined evil differently?
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 09:19
    I would agree if evil and ‘greater evil’ can be objectively defined and is real and not just a construct of the human mind. If it is simply a construct of the human mind, why would it even matter if people defined evil differently?
    Try and use your imagination.
    What would the world look like if people defined evil differently?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 09:341 edit
    Try and use your imagination.
    What would the world look like if people defined evil differently?
    If evil is subjective and not objective we could all define it differently. Ponder upon that for a bit.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 15:491 edit
    It matters because humans are also able to “construct” consequences for evil-doers. Morality is one system societies use to place limits on behavior; the judicial system is another. Of course so is the Bible as a sort of amalgam of the two.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 15:51
    If evil is subjective and not objective we could all define it differently. Ponder upon that for a bit.
    Pondering that, I conclude it is exactly what’s going on.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Dec '17 19:28
    Pondering that, I conclude it is exactly what’s going on.
    If we all defined it differently we wouldn’t agree on anything yet we do. Most of the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree