1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '06 23:01
    Originally posted by Mixo
    The Catholic Church? That is a long and no doubt well tried debate in itself.

Meanwhile, so long as the church demands a "celibate" priesthood it naturally accumulates a certain number of frustrated men who, after a few years, are desperate to release some sexual tension. Unfortunately their job puts them in contact with lots of children who trust them. The ...[text shortened]... wrong with that at all. It just means, statistically, a lot of the child victims will be boys.
    This has already been demonstrated to be a fallacy. The proportion of molestations is relatively the same in all of the mainstream Christian religions. Abolishing celibacy has had no impact on the statistics. And I don't know why gays came into this debate.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '06 23:021 edit
    The point is that you can attack the whole institution because the problem is institutionalised. If they abandon the unmarried thing the proportion of offenders should fall to the level of other christian churches.
    Please tell me what these proportions are I would be very interested.
  3. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Jul '06 23:09
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    This has already been demonstrated to be a fallacy. The proportion of molestations is relatively the same in all of the mainstream Christian religions. Abolishing celibacy has had no impact on the statistics. And I don't know why gays came into this debate.
    you gotta be pretty gay to rape lil boys
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Jul '06 23:19
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    you gotta be pretty gay to rape lil boys
    First of all, I would hesitate to lump homosexuals together with child-molesterers. Secondly, I tend to blame the poor practises of the seminaries for child-molestation. Because priests were usually recruited at a young age (often around 12 or 13) their sexual development became inhibited at a crucial age when they would normally begin to experience sexual attraction. I suspect that due to the isolation of seminaries, some of these recruits, instead of developing a healthy sexuality, began to obssess about their pre-pubescent years - in some cases culminating in the minority of child- rape cases. It might also be a power thing. But I doubt homosexuality is the centre issue.
  5. The Tao Temple
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 05:57
    First of all, I would hesitate to lump homosexuals together with child-molesterers. But I doubt homosexuality is the centre issue.
    Absolutely. Sorry for mentioning homosexuality. It has confused the discussion as some people have latched on to it as a factor encouraging abusive behaviour. A heterosexual priest is just as likely to be tempted. The title of the thread implies homosexual abuse but "priests rape girls" is probably equally valid.

I'm surprised that the stats would be the same in a non-celibate religion. Surely the self-denial would make many men crack?
  6. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 10:20
    First of all, I would hesitate to lump homosexuals together with child-molesterers. Secondly, I tend to blame the poor practises of the seminaries for child-molestation. Because priests were usually recruited at a young age (often around 12 or 13) their sexual development became inhibited at a crucial age when they would normally begin to experience sexual ...[text shortened]... hild- rape cases. It might also be a power thing. But I doubt homosexuality is the centre issue.
    It's an issue that the Catholic Church needs to address urgently: whether the perversion of enforced chasity causally contributes to other perversions such as paedophilia.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 21:42

I'm surprised that the stats would be the same in a non-celibate religion. Surely the self-denial would make many men crack?
    I tend to look at pedophilia as a completely different sexuality; different from heterosexuality or homosexuality. I don't believe that a mature-age man can become a pedophile.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 21:44
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    It's an issue that the Catholic Church needs to address urgently: whether the perversion of enforced chasity causally contributes to other perversions such as paedophilia.
    It has.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jul '06 23:31

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jul '06 15:29
    And the funny thing is, is that you actually believe this helps the children.
    What would help the children and humanity in general the most is if there were no organized religions based on pure unadulterated lies which sets up a system where people are falsely allowed to be intermediaries between the common people and some proported god. This perversion causes more direct harm in wars and falsehoods than all the priest rapes combined. The priest rapes are just one facet of a perverted way of life. If there were really a god, we would have no need for such intermediaries in the first place. It is the man made nature of religion that leads to such perversion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree