1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 08:54
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You do know where the "Golden Rule" comes from, don't you?
    Common sense was around long before the bible.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 09:20
    Originally posted by apathist
    1.If you say your moral standard is based on common sense, then what do you do when what is “common sense” for you contradicts with what is “common sense” for someone else?

2. If what you believe is common sense contradicts what someone else considers to be common sense, then are your judgments really “common sense”?

3. If, however, you say that your common sense morals should be followed by others because they are right, then how is that not being arrogant since you are elevating your personal, subjective, moral opinions above those of others and saying they should follow what you believe?

https://carm.org/questions-on-standard-of-morality
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 10:01
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    1.If you say your moral standard is based on common sense, then what do you do when what is “common sense” for you contradicts with what is “common sense” for someone else?

2. If what you believe is common sense contradicts what someone else considers to be common sense, then are your judgments really “common sense”?

3. If, however, you say that your ...[text shortened]... nd saying they should follow what you believe?

There are some deal-breakers, but otherwise variety is a good thing. I know you're having a hard time with this, I'll try to boil it down. I will protect my family, and the circle expands.

The muslims are told, and there are no dissenters.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 15:56
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You have no idea what 'ancient men knew', and if scripture is true, they knew a lot more
    about God, and gods than you.
    You mean like for instance, where in the past, eating pigs could make you sick, so your blessed all knowing god, instead of saying, hey, eat pigs but remember there is this tiny animal inside some of it that can make you sick so if you insist on eating pigs, just cook the hell out of it.

Was there anything like that? No. Instead what we get in the bible is exactly the way humans would respond to pigs making you sick: DON'T EAT PIG.

EXACTLY what a human would write but now it is carved in stone as coming from a god.

So what exactly did the ancients know? It sure as hell wasn't pigs.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 17:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We are making a total mess of this jewel of a planet, destroying the oceans, going acidic, killing off coral reefs, in the middle of a mass extinction event, the climate maybe already at a tipping point.

If some god actually created the place, it would be PISSED royal at the way we are absolutely mucking up the whole planet.

It would come down with a ...[text shortened]... e do you think it would tolerate from such a brass, narcissistic power driven species as humans?
    Er......um.......ever read Revelation?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 17:11
    You mean like for instance, where in the past, eating pigs could make you sick, so your blessed all knowing god, instead of saying, hey, eat pigs but remember there is this tiny animal inside some of it that can make you sick so if you insist on eating pigs, just cook the hell out of it.

Was there anything like that? No. Instead what we get in the bible ...[text shortened]... one as coming from a god.

They knew enough to avoid things that if done wrong would harm them .
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 22:54
    They knew enough to avoid things that if done wrong would harm them .
    Mankind figuring stuff out.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 23:03
    Mankind figuring stuff out.
    With somethings you could say that, but have you looked into the OT? There were things
    in it that were not seen around them in other countries, nor were the standards that were
    given around them either. The eye for an eye that people bad mouth, if it were not for that
    then any slight could be justification for any type of attack of any kind, there would be
    no limit for the one to not do to another.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Jun '17 23:12
    With somethings you could say that, but have you looked into the OT? ...
    Kelly, i like you, but the ot god was evil. That's why jesus did some pr stuff.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 00:06
    I disagree, God there is only One, setup the universe for us, sent Jesus to us who is the
    exact representation of God in human form. It is us if you look at the OT that has managed
    to screw up everything in front of us, by abusing one another and rejecting authority.

Every time we were given the proper way to live, we would instead abuse our place, we
    murdered each other, rob, took advantage in any way we could. God reacts to our sin
    and I'm surprised we even made it this far without killing each other off.

We don't grasp grace, we don't grasp caring for one another, we don't show love, when
    people here were asked for forgiveness did you see the responses? Most were used just
    to get in some more jabs about how bad those asking for forgiveness were. While God
    when He forgives He doesn't hold our sins over our heads, instead He throws them as
    far as the east is from the west. In the OT and in the NT Jesus shed His blood so we
    could be clean and forgiven without us being able to get good enough to be saved. It is
    not God who is evil.

Psalm 103:12
    As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 00:07
    Thank you too for saying that about me, as much as your aggravate me I cannot help but
    like you too. 🙂
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 02:19

Was there anything like that? No. Instead what we get in the bible ...[text shortened]... one as coming from a god.

Get serious. A "tiny animal" inside every pig? What man of 3500 years ago would buy that? He'd assume you were freaking nuts and run you out of town, and here, take your idiotic holy book with you.

I've brought this up with you before.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 03:32
    Originally posted by KellyJay...
    As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.
    Human sacrifice. I guess it was normal for the times.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 04:29
    and was contained in many other texts such as the Vedas
    (I only repeat this for the 2 thumbdowners )
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '17 04:332 edits
    Originally posted by dj2becker

3. If, however, you say that y ...[text shortened]... aying they should follow what you believe?

1. That's why it's called "common" .So all can understand straight away.

2. If you cease judgment then there is no problem here.

3.Once again the answer is simple. Life is precious. Everyone should have a right to the essentials of life. All life, especially that of your neighbours and family, because intuitively you understand it is important to your own well-being. Etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree