1. Australia
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 21:43
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Within an Atheistic framework, would it be [b]absolutely wrong at any time to murder another human being? If so, why?[/b]
    I can envisage circumstances when I would want to murder another human being but I would never act on that; as I believe it is never acceptable to take another life...... human or otherwise. However this opinion has absolutely nothing to do with me being an atheist.

If your trying to argue that my beliefs come from religion, bring it on.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:131 edit
    Within an Atheistic framework, would it be [b]absolutely wrong at any time to murder another human being? If so, why?[/b]
    Depends on the definition of "wrong", "murder" and "human being". People argue about the definitions of these terms all the time.
  3. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Feb '07 22:14
    The thread was aimed at atheists, but never mind...

So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists, fine. What absolute basis (or absolute point of reference) do you use to differentiate between right and wrong or (good and evil)?
    i think you find its called social conditioning... we are brought up to believe its wrong, society tells us its wrong as done the law, this has nothing to do with god. strictly speaking killing another isnt wrong, animals do it... not just for food either, cats do it for enjoyment... are you saying that all cats are evil..? the reason someone kills for no reason at all can often be attributed to their childhood, their upbringing... once again this has nothing to do with god...

i think you're in a worse situation than an atheist, we have a choice to kill but dont, you dont kill because god says you shouldnt... the expression 'puppet on a string' springs to mind
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 01:41
    An athesist by definition believes in absolutes .. their is absolutely no God.
    God is absolutely not possible is the mantra.
    Many atheists are moral people, they just don't believe in God.

Murder by definition is a crime, thus deemed ALWAYS "wrong" by society.
    Murder is one thing .. killing quite another.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 03:18
    So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists?

Are you an atheist?
    Absolute right and wrong exist; it is then up to each of us to either seek clarity in what may seem like moral ambiguity, or else trick ourselves into 'gray', usually at the cost of muddying how we view life in general, and ultimately, yourself.

Bottom line, that which promotes life is good (right). That which destroys it is bad (wrong).

The motive for killing has everything to do with its morality. It is absolutely wrong to initiate violence. It is absolutely right to destroy in self-defense. "Violence" in this respect can be a threat of inevitable violence; in other words, I don't have to wait for someone to pull the trigger of the gun aimed at my face before taking action.

I assume 'Innocent', in this violence question, is someone free from malevolent intent. Innocent, however, doesn't mean non-threatening by definition. I mentally deficient person may believe slitting my throat will send me closer to God (not malevolent, but 'kind' in his mind). In this case, I have moral grounds to destroy him (else.. who will? Or will he remain unharrassed and slit as many as he likes for as long as he likes?).

Asking for moral imperatives in response to generalities (to which you then demand "Yes or No"😉 is mentally lazy at best; a shallow playground trick at worst. Specifics matter.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 06:521 edit
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    Generally yes, but I guess there could be exceptions, so I don't think it is absolutely wrong. Laws can be wrong and unjustified and I doubt they could be justifiably applied to every possible scenario conceivable.
    OK. How about the unlawful premeditated raping and killing of an innocent 2 year old baby? Is that absolutely wrong?
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:22
    So you believe that absolute right and wrong exists?

Are you an atheist?
    there is an absolute what you want to do and an absolute what you do not want to do. no im a theist
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:24
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    there is an absolute what you want to do and an absolute what you do not want to do. no im a theist
    In which God do you believe?
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:25
    My father always told me that the only way killing a human being could be justified is that if you know he is absolutely going to kill you; you cannot do anything about it and killing him is the only way out.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:27
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    My father always told me that the only way killing a human being could be justified is that if you know he is [b]absolutely going to kill you; you cannot do anything about it and killing him is the only way out.[/b]
    OK. How about the unlawful premeditated raping and killing of an innocent 2 year old baby? Is that absolutely wrong?
  11. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:363 edits
    Do not ask me more questions man [edit](especially the one like this). I opiniated my views on killing.

There's no right, there's no wrong.

Some people will think that killing people is good because the world is overly populated. Onthe other hand, some other people will even object the practice of abortion.

My personal view could be one of them and it will not change anything. There will always be human beings thinking in both ways I described above.

I do not think believing in God has to do anything with this issue. I think your question deals with ethics [edit](more than it deals with atheists) and ethics do not concern religion.

I do not have to believe in God to be an ethical and moral person.

Forget about "right" and forget about "wrong."

[edit]What does that make me now?
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:41
    Do not ask me more questions man. I opiniated my views on this.

Some people will think that killing people is good because the world is overly populated. Onthe other hand, some other people will even object the practice of abortion.

My personal view could be one of them and it will not change anything. There will ...[text shortened]... n God to be an ethical and moral person.

Forget about "right" and forget about "wrong."

This statement negates the existence of absolutes but is in itself an absolute statement. I need not say it is a self-defeating position to take.
  13. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:43
    [b]There's no right, there's no wrong.

This statement negates the existence of absolutes but is in itself an absolute statement. I need not say it is a self-defeating position to take.[/b]
    You win.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:50
    You win.
    Absolutely? 😉
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    19 Feb '07 07:51

This statement negates the existence of absolutes but is in itself an absolute statement. I need not say it is a self-defeating position to take.
    🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree