1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Jul '07 02:02
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Thats the problem with people believing in God. They want God to be what they think He should be. We are not in a position to dictate anything.
    That is the problem with people period, those that do not claim to
    believe in God do so because of what they believe about Him too.
    Kelly
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 16:231 edit
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    and what if i had.... what kind of god is that, some crazy ego loving vain being that gets off on the idea everyone around him must worship him and do as he says of they're off to satan world... surely god - if he's real - must be above such human emotion
    You seem to have a very childish view of who God is. If you really want to know about God (the Christian one) read the Bible for yourself instead of listening to people who like to say "God is Love" or "God is forgiving" etc etc. AND try to understand that there is pecking order in the world, and you dont get to make the rules.

The God of the Bible destroys and kills anything that is not to His pleasing. He brought the flood to wipe out civilisation, the Jews were commanded to destroys all human and animal life in certain areas of the Mid East and evil elements were ruthlessly dealt with and no mercy was shown. He is a jealous God and want you to recognise Him as the only God. If you do as He says you may get salvation and if you choose not to, you may suffer in some place of torment.

You seem to be the kind of person that wants a reward without having to work for it. That might work in some circles but in the real world nothing is free.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 16:41
    You seem to have a very childish view of who God is.
    Richly ironic. It's your theology that seems childish to me - you must do what is right, not because it is intrinsically good, but because the big guy in the sky might smite you if you don't.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 16:57
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Richly ironic. It's your theology that seems childish to me - you must do what is right, not because it is intrinsically good, but because the big guy in the sky might smite you if you don't.
    When you grow up you will understand that BOTH are good reasons for doing what is right.

Some people dont need it, but many do.
    - need to have their parents tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right
    - need to have their teachers tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right
    - need to have the law and the police tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right
    - need to have their religion and scripture tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right.

Talk to me in about 20 years when you mature and tell me if this is not true.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 17:28
    When you grow up you will understand that BOTH are good reasons for doing what is right.

Some people dont need it, but many do.
    - need to have their parents tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right
    - need to have their teachers tell them there are consequences for not doing whats right
    - need to have the law and the police tell them ...[text shortened]... ng whats right.

Talk to me in about 20 years when you mature and tell me if this is not true.
    All the authority figures you listed are human and therefore imperfect. Some abuse their position. Some are so far gone wrong that the only morally correct thing to do is resist them in every way.

Same goes for your god. He doesn't just punish the guilty - he annihilates their family, their children, their infants, and their livestock. He visits the same fate on his most loyal followers, like Job, who was innocent.

It's simply not good enough to do things because an authority demands it. We must check them against our own moral code - despite its imperfections. It's our only defense against bad leaders and false gods.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 19:08
    It's simply not good enough to do things because an authority demands it. .
    I never said that we should only listen to authority figures. Did you read the part where I said
    ".... BOTH are good reasons for doing what is right" ?

You may be able to use your own good moral judgement to determine right and wrong, and that is indeed admirable. But this discussion is not about you and me. This is about people in general. Are you telling me that you think that ALL people are able to exercise good moral judgement and dont need authority figures as a guide ?

And if you ever read anything I wrote about religion I always advocate staying as far away from organised religion as possible.
  7. Orillia, Ontario
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 19:09
    I would let you in, of course.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 19:56
    I never said that we should only listen to authority figures. Did you read the part where I said
    ".... BOTH are good reasons for doing what is right" ?

You may be able to use your own good moral judgement to determine right and wrong, and that is indeed admirable. But this discussion is not about you and me. This is about people in general. Are you tell ...[text shortened]... rote about religion I always advocate staying as far away from organised religion as possible.
    Yes, I read what you said. I just disagree that "fear of godly smiting" is a good reason for doing right.

I've no issue with people having authority figures as guides - but the authorities must show themselves worthy of their position.

Isn't the bible a part of organized religion? What do you mean when you say you stay far away from organized religion? Does that just mean the people and churches of today?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 20:27
    Yes, I read what you said. I just disagree that "fear of godly smiting" is a good reason for doing right.

I've no issue with people having authority figures as guides - but the authorities must show themselves worthy of their position.

Isn't the bible a part of organized religion? What do you mean when you say you stay far away from organized religion? Does that just mean the people and churches of today?
    The Bible - OT is a history of the creation and of the people of Israel. The NT is the history of the life of Christ and of the early church. Christ himself condemned the organised religious groups in the strongest terms. Organised religion refers to the various sects that have developed but which bear very little resemblence to the teachings of Christ.
  10. England
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 10:41
    i do not believe in god or any religion; however, i would consider myself a good person, i have never intentionally harmed anyone and i try my best to treat any race or colour with dignity and respect...

with this in mind, when i die, if i stood at the gates of heaven and god said to you, "you choose whether to let him into heaven or send him to hell?", what would you do?
    sorry have just read the post for the first time, so here goes with my reply.
    god will judge you as we all sin only the forgiven will be saved from eternal brimstone.
    For you to say i am a good man shows vanity and conciet.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 11:12
    The Bible - OT is a history of the creation and of the people of Israel. The NT is the history of the life of Christ and of the early church. Christ himself condemned the organised religious groups in the strongest terms. Organised religion refers to the various sects that have developed but which bear very little resemblence to the teachings of Christ.
    So you are saying that the people who wrote and passed down what you call the Bible were disorganized? What makes you think that what is in the Bible has anything to do with what Jesus taught. Clearly what got included in the Bible would only be those false teachings being passed around by those "organized religion" sects?
  12. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 16:36
    Originally posted by stoker
    sorry have just read the post for the first time, so here goes with my reply.
    god will judge you as we all sin only the forgiven will be saved from eternal brimstone.
    For you to say i am a good man shows vanity and conciet.
    that's the whole point of the question, god has given you the power to let me in or not, how much of a robot are you? you answer the question by simply giving the power back to god... will you think for yourself just for once and answer the question, i try again:

what would YOU do???????
  13. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 16:42
    You seem to have a very childish view of who God is. If you really want to know about God (the Christian one) read the Bible for yourself instead of listening to people who like to say "God is Love" or "God is forgiving" etc etc. AND try to understand that there is pecking order in the world, and you dont get to make the rules.

The God of the Bible destro ...[text shortened]... aving to work for it. That might work in some circles but in the real world nothing is free.
    well, for a christian you're very judgemental... i have read the bible, i used to read it every day as a child... it was only as a grew up i realised what an ego loving destructive god the bible portrays him as... if anyone has a childish mentally here it is you, you're also very cynical in your outlook on the human race and life in general... i believe in a god that feels right for me, not what a book has told me i must believe... i guess you're still a few light years behind that way of thinking, but you'll get there... have faith
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 18:01
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What makes you think that what is in the Bible has anything to do with what Jesus taught.
    I dont understand. The teachings of Christ are in the NT. No?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 18:11
    ... i believe in a god that feels right for me, not what a book has told me i must believe... i guess you're still a few light years behind that way of thinking, but you'll get there... have faith
    Your god which you like to think is real is a fabrication of your mind.
    Im not sure whats the point of that but, ..hey .. whatever turns you on !!
    There are institutions for people like you. And youre absolutely right ... people like me with their feet planted firmly on the ground are light years behind, and I hope it stays that way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree