1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ok, sietse, you must be commended for your bravery, although i am not entirely sure
    how relevant these citations are, you may need to spell it out for me.
    I think maybe it has something to do with the NWT adding the name "Jehovah" 237 times to the New Testament, where it wasn't there before.

Maybe something about you not being qualified to cast any "first stones".

I don't know, just a guess.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:45
    I say anyone who does not actively share in teaching and preaching others after the
    manner of the Christ through a public ministry is a nominal Christian, that would
    include you.
    That's way too narrow. A nominal Christian is a person whose Christianity differs from yours.
  3. Wat?
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 15:52
    Originally posted by Seitse

2Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.[/b]
    Command you. Command you.

Didn't do much for the 'exorcist' did it?

http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html

There is NO devil, apart from the dis-illusioned within you.

Who should command me, apart from my own knowledge of unhurting to others, and bettering that?

-m.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:22
    anything that is nominal is in name only, for example in accountancy there may be a
    nominal account, the value of which is simply there as a matter of procedure, like
    depreciation, which cannot be realised in any real terms, although its measured in
    monetary value. Was it so difficult for you to look up the definition of nominal?

Of, rese ...[text shortened]... son's name: nominal shares.
    Existing in name only.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/nominal
    I do not think KJ was out of line for asking what you mean by 'nominal' Christian. Given that this is what you mean, isn't your question kind of loaded? "Hey nominal Christian, why aren't you a real Christian?"
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:39
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I do not think KJ was out of line for asking what you mean by 'nominal' Christian. Given that this is what you mean, isn't your question kind of loaded? "Hey nominal Christian, why aren't you a real Christian?"
    It goes beyond this. Calling one a "nominal" Christian is insulting. He's trying to goad the non-JW Christians here into defending ourselves against his rather narrow and self-serving definition of a Christian.

I, for one, am not going to dance for him.

As I said, I'd rather hear him answer my question.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:561 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You say. Your ministry is public, is it?

Not rising to your bait, sorry.

I'd much rather hear you explain exactly why you do not believe in Grace, and how your unbelief qualifies you as a Christian.

Go ahead, we're waiting.
    nothing but excuses, oh dear. Point proven.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 16:59
    I think maybe it has something to do with the NWT adding the name "Jehovah" 237 times to the New Testament, where it wasn't there before.

Maybe something about you not being qualified to cast any "first stones".

I don't know, just a guess.
    considering there are over two hundred direct quotations from The Hebrew portion of
    the Bible, in the so called New testament i think its rather appropriative we restore the
    divine name which the translators of Christendom have systematically removed and
    subjected their flocks to insipid renderings producing lukewarm Christians.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's way too narrow. A nominal Christian is a person whose Christianity differs from yours.
    nope, a Nominal Christian is one in name only, that is one who does not adhere to the
    teachings of the Christ.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:01
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I dont think he was out of order either, but man he could have at least tried to engage
    his own mind and deduce a definition. How hard can it be? Instead he was
    dumbfounded as if a piano had fell from the sky and landed inches away from his nose.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:091 edit
    why dont you teach and preach in obedience to Christ's command at Matthew 28:19,20
    and in view of Pauls example at Acts 20:20? dont you believe the Christ's words?

(Luke 11:23) . . .He that is not on my side is against me, and [b]he that does not gather with me scatters.
    [/b]
    Perhaps some Christians have a more sophisticated interpretation of the Bible such that they need not slavishly adhere to the commands of its ancient human writers.

Even if, hypothetically speaking, the Bible is representative of a god that exists, that doesn't mean the Bible (as a means via which humans approximate the nature of this entity in this sense) should be taken to be an accurate description of the ways and wills of some god.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:10
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Perhaps some Christians have a more sophisticated interpretation of the Bible such that they need not slavishly adhere to the commands of its ancient human writers.

Even if, hypothetically speaking, the Bible is representative of a god that exists, that doesn't mean the Bible, as a means via which humans approximate the nature of this entity in this sense, should be taken to be an accurate description of the ways and wills of some god.
    I am sure they do, but in either case, they have supplanted the pure waters of truth,
    with something else. It is not slavish as you erroneously assert, for we are all
    governed by some principles, indeed, its refreshing to be a Christian.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:201 edit
    I am sure they do, but in either case, they have supplanted the pure waters of truth,
    with something else. It is not slavish as you erroneously assert, for we are all
    governed by some principles, indeed, its refreshing to be a Christian.
    I am sure they do, but in either case, they have supplanted the pure waters of truth
    So you keep saying, and so you keep failing to convince anyone.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:24
    considering there are over two hundred direct quotations from The Hebrew portion of
    the Bible, in the so called New testament i think its rather appropriative we restore the
    divine name which the translators of Christendom have systematically removed and
    subjected their flocks to insipid renderings producing lukewarm Christians.
    What part of "where it wasn't there before" do you not get?

They didn't "restore" the name "Jehovah" 237 times to the New Testament. It simply wasn't in the Greek (not Hebrew, I think you're confusing the Old and New there). They systematically added it.

I'd cite references, but you'd probably call them bogus, too.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:30
    Originally posted by Agerg

Even if, hypothetically speaking, the Bible is representative of a god that exists, that doesn't mean the Bible (as a means via which humans approximate the nature of this entity in this sense) should be taken to be an accurate description of the ways and wills of some god.
    I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking this isn't your fight.

Robbie is looking for a throwdown between Christians here, and if a fight is what he wants, he may yet get one.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '11 17:36
    I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking this isn't your fight.

Robbie is looking for a throwdown between Christians here, and if a fight is what he wants, he may yet get one.
    Maybe Agerg can referee. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree