Question for some Christians here

Question for some Christians here

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
This is not just a war of words for you, you're playing up to the gallery! One eye always trained on your audience, is that it? So it appears your main concern is not so much anything we might be saying, this is all about those you imagine reading this... what they think of you, and what they think of me. LOL
My "main concern" here is discussing ideas and beliefs with fellow members of this community with a clear tendency towards discussing them with people I generally or mostly disagree with.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
I have always tended towards talking to the JWs who have come to my house ~ there have been a few cups of coffee ~ and in Japan there were a few lunches in Deny's. There was usually no "don't want to talk" factor in play, just as there is no "don't want to talk" factor in play here when I disagree with something you say.
Of course not. The "don't want to talk" factor is on their side after either a few minutes or after a few dozens of minutes, depending on their tolerance of your "conversational" tactics.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
My "main concern" here is discussing ideas and beliefs with fellow members of this community with a clear tendency towards discussing them with people I generally or mostly disagree with.
This is almost true, but as always... not exactly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
Better off not responding to FMF. He likes to go off on tangents, arguing for the sake of arguing. Or worse, just getting you all wound up for his own amusement.
"By jove, I think he's got it!"

AKA "But the emperor... he's not wearing any clothes!"

F

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
Of course not. The "don't want to talk" factor is on [b]their side after either a few minutes or after a few dozens of minutes, depending on their tolerance of your "conversational" tactics.[/b]
I had a genuine friendship with the JWs I mentioned. I still get the occasional e-mail from the Japanese couple. Hamish and Maggie ~ the ones I knew very well in the UK ~ eventually left the JW organisation after which they were psychologically bullied by their 'ex-friends'. They are just regular Christians now.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
[b]...the original question I asked, and which remains not directly addressed: What effect on the "need for protection and prisons" do you think the threat of "Hell" has or has had [as a purported "consequence for being evil"]?

This is a good example of why I do not take much of what you say seriously.

The reason I did not address your question ...[text shortened]... d, so this should be more than enough to get you started up again and keep you going for awhile.[/b]
Wow. So I'm not the only one who sees it.

He often leaves me guessing, after he replies, as to whether I replied to the correct post or not. But yeah, that's the purpose of misdirection. I sometimes wonder if he's an amateur magician, since misdirection seems to be his go-to strategy. He crows about his "contributions to the forum and to the site", but he contributes precious little. He misdirects. That's about all he does.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
I had a genuine friendship with the JWs I mentioned. I still get the occasional e-mail from the Japanese couple. Hamish and Maggie ~ the ones I knew very well in the UK ~ eventually left the JW organisation after which they were psychologically bullied by their 'ex-friends'. They are just regular Christians now.
So you don't actually misdirect and confuse in actual, real face-to-face conversations? You save it all for us? How... special.

I guess it's easier to disrespect those who can't actually punch you in the face when you disrespect them, huh?

F

Moves
21 Aug 14

So you don't actually misdirect and confuse in actual, real face-to-face conversations? You save it all for us? How... special.

I guess it's easier to disrespect those who can't actually punch you in the face when you disrespect them, huh?
Why would anyone punch me in the face?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
Why would anyone punch me in the face?
Was that a rhetorical question?

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
It's nice to hear of a positive outcome for some people who left the Jehovah's Witness cult. The psychological bullying and inevitable shunning of those who leave is a typification of the cult mentality.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by divegeester
It's nice to hear of a positive outcome for some people who left the Jehovah's Witness cult. The psychological bullying and inevitable shunning of those who leave is a typification of the cult mentality.
While that is true for the most part, I often have a hard time feeling sorry for people who get shunned etc. Many people dont bother reading the Bible for themselves to see if what is being taught in their church of choice is in fact true. They instead chose to accept the doctrine of men. Serves most of them right.

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
While that is true for the most part, I often have a hard time feeling sorry for people who get shunned etc. Many people dont bother reading the Bible for themselves to see if what is being taught in their church of choice is in fact true. They instead chose to accept the doctrine of men. Serves most of them right.
I think this comment typifies your somewhat harsh perspective of the Christian condition.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by divegeester
I think this comment typifies your somewhat harsh perspective of the Christian condition.
Harsh is good.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Aug 14

As I said before, maybe you should consider going to a Quaker... service? meeting? (not sure what they call it)

As I understand it, Quakers also believe that God is everywhere and to require a building is not completely necessary for worship. Presumably I guess they do it for the fellowship with others. I have heard that they do not have a laity, per s ...[text shortened]... y sure they do not consider themselves a "corporate body".

Who knows? You might like it. 🙂
Hi Suzi, based on their website I think you are right, the Society of Friends have meetings rather than services: http://www.quaker.org.uk/aboutquakers

Moves
21 Aug 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
Harsh is good.
Mathew 11:30

🙂