1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 04:16
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Better off not responding to FMF. He likes to go off on tangents, arguing for the sake of arguing. Or worse, just getting you all wound up for his own amusement.
    If I have inadvertently exposed any groupthink or plan to seek refuge in groupthink, then that was not my intention. 😉
  2. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 04:23
    Better off not responding to FMF. He likes to go off on tangents, arguing for the sake of arguing. Or worse, just getting you all wound up for his own amusement.
    I'll give him some hypothetical room to think this over. I don't want him to blow a fuse...

or do I?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 04:35
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    I'll give him some hypothetical room to think this over. I don't want him to blow a fuse...

or do I?
    "Blow a fuse"? "Worked up"? "Worried?" "Scared"? You seem to be under some considerable misapprehension about the effect of your forum posts. I have always enjoyed engaging people with different beliefs from me. I find this forum in particular to be entertaining from time to time. Talk to Pudgenik about me, by all means, but don't imagine me to be anything other than quite serene and happy about being a contributor to this community. And perhaps you should try not to overestimate the effect you have on someone like me, just as I am under no illusions about the import or traction of what I believe and what I say. 🙂
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 11:06
    Originally posted by whodey
    .., what was Jesus talking about?
    The church comprised of the saints that will occupy the Kingdom of God on the earth. That would include every saved individual from genesis to Acts chapter 9.

That is the church that Jesus was talking about.

The church which is Christ's Body hadn't even been created yet at the time of Jesus' earthly ministry. The church which is Christ's Body will one day occupy the heavens.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 16:29
    Saying "There are plenty of consequences of being evil..." doesn't answer my question. My question was "Why would anyone [b]need to choose between good and evil if there is no consequence for being evil?" Not why would anyone choose, but why would anyone need to choose.

I'm assuming you are older than 10... ?[/b]
    Sorry, but you've missed the point entirely. What I am addressing is your underlying assumption that nonexistence of hell equates to nonexistence of "consequence for being evil". That's nonsense and, like I already said, indicative of a stunted moral outlook.

Do you get it now? Your question is silly and grotesque in context, predicated on a silly assumption that no mature moral inquirer takes seriously.
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 01:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Blow a fuse"? "Worked up"? "Worried?" "Scared"? You seem to be under some considerable misapprehension about the effect of your forum posts. I have always enjoyed engaging people with different beliefs from me. I find this forum in particular to be entertaining from time to time. Talk to Pudgenik about me, by all means, but don't imagine me to be anything other ...[text shortened]... ust as I am under no illusions about the import or traction of what I believe and what I say. 🙂
    FMF sometimes you can really get into some good discussion. And i love that. But often the impression you give me is arguing just for the sake of arguing. And i get to the point where i just ignore you.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 01:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I have inadvertently exposed any groupthink or plan to seek refuge in groupthink, then that was not my intention. 😉
    ok, i will get my head out of the clouds. Maybe i take things to serious here. Silly me.

Hey i had to put in for that thread on the dirt in the garden of eden. Sonhouse said it best though. ha ha
  8. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 02:11
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    Sorry, but you've missed the point entirely. What I am addressing is your underlying assumption that nonexistence of hell equates to nonexistence of "consequence for being evil". That's nonsense and, like I already said, indicative of a stunted moral outlook.

Do you get it now? Your question is silly and grotesque in context, predicated on a silly assumption that no mature moral inquirer takes seriously.
    No, assuming an underlying assumption is silly and grotesque.

It is the assuming of an unseen and underlying assumption that no mature moral inquirer would take seriously or could even be so easily distracted from seeing what is obviously clearly stated and lying on the surface for anyone other than an overly self indulgent poo-poo head to see.
  9. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 06:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    You continue to miss the point. I am obviously not "scared" of your threats. As I said earlier, the "consequence" of your threats might, at most, be to make some people afraid or modify their behaviour ~ assuming that they have the same beliefs as you. Which brings us back to the original question I asked, and which remains not directly addressed: What effect on ...[text shortened]... do you think the threat of "Hell" has or has had [as a purported "consequence for being evil"]?
    ...the original question I asked, and which remains not directly addressed: What effect on the "need for protection and prisons" do you think the threat of "Hell" has or has had [as a purported "consequence for being evil"]?

This is a good example of why I do not take much of what you say seriously.

The reason I did not address your question is because your question was rubbish. What I said about protection and prisons was a response to someone else, and my answer to him (him, not you) pertained to his comment about empathy. It had nothing to do with you or the conversation I was having with you... which was barely more than rubbish now that I think about it.

But that's okay, you just keep on talking and mixing and mashing up messages and asking your questions about the Frankenstein monsters you conjure up in your head. I don't actually need to say much of anything to get you started, so this should be more than enough to get you started up again and keep you going for awhile.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 06:26
    FMF sometimes you can really get into some good discussion. And i love that. But often the impression you give me is arguing just for the sake of arguing. And i get to the point where i just ignore you.
    I am happy for you to get to that point all the time.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 06:311 edit
    The reason I did not address your question is because your question was rubbish.
    My question was a direct response to your post. If you don't want to answer it, that's fine. There will be those who think my question is "rubbish" as you do. And there will be those who will notice that you are at pains not to answer it and are not very adept at talking to people you disagree with. Such different perspectives are par for the course in a public forum.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 06:41
    Unfortunately for many people empathy is only a concept. But even for those who have boat loads of empathy it hasn't proven to be much of a driving force to stave off evil... if it were then there would be little need for protection and prisons.
    If, as you say, "empathy" doesn't "stave off evil" or lessen your "need for protection and prisons", do you think the threat of "Hell", as the supposed "consequence of being evil", can or does or ever has?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 07:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    If, as you say, "empathy" doesn't "stave off evil" or lessen your "need for protection and prisons", do you think the threat of "Hell", as the supposed "consequence of being evil", can or does or ever has?
    I could ask if you think hell is a consequence of evil or a rejection of God, or a deterrent to crime, but don't you think that would be a nonsensical question for me to ask of you?

If you don't believe in an afterlife then none of this should this be of any concern to you. It concerns me because I do believe it, so why can't you be content to let me be concerned about what may happen to me after my physical body stops working? How is that any of your business? If you're concerned about me forcing my beliefs on you then all I can say to you about that is "grow up"... I'm no more able to force my beliefs on you than you are able to force you're beliefs on me.

I will act according to what I believe and you will act according to what you believe. I don't expect you to believe anything I believe, so unless it bothers you that I don't share your beliefs you have nothing to be bothered with. As I have already (repeatedly) said that's between you and whatever, not between you and me. But for some reason this doesn't seem to register with you. Why is that?

I think it's because this has simply been a war of words for you. You react too quickly for it to be anything else.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 07:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    My question was a direct response to your post. If you don't want to answer it, that's fine. There will be those who think my question is "rubbish" as you do. And there will be those who will notice that you are at pains not to answer it and are not very adept at talking to people you disagree with. Such different perspectives are par for the course in a public forum.
    Wow, and there it is... I don't know how I missed that!

This is not just a war of words for you, you're playing up to the gallery! One eye always trained on your audience, is that it? So it appears your main concern is not so much anything we might be saying, this is all about those you imagine reading this... what they think of you, and what they think of me. LOL

Watch out for those thumbs... them thumbs can be fickle at times like this, when ya really need em'... LOL
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '14 07:48
    I could ask if you think hell is a consequence of evil or a rejection of God, or a deterrent to crime, but don't you think that would be a nonsensical question for me to ask of you?

If you don't believe in an afterlife then none of this should this be of any concern to you. It concerns me because I do believe it, so why can't you be content to let me b ...[text shortened]... e this has simply been a war of words for you. You react too quickly for it to be anything else.
    I am not trying to impose anything on you, I don't feel as if you are trying to impose anything one me, and I am unaware of any "war of words" here. The point blank question ~ one more time ~ is, do you think the threat of "Hell" does, ever has, or can, lessen the "need for protection and prisons" in a way that "boatloads of empathy" doesn't or hasn't? I am simply examining the assertions you have made on this debate/discussion forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree