1. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 20:14
    There isn't a purpose. We are star dust and will always be star dust. Our conciousness will return to where it was prior to being born. I find so much comfort in that!
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 20:15
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I believe there is a lake of fire, but it has nothing to do with my purpose here on earth.
    If your purpose here on earth is only to avoid the Lake of fire, it is a lame reason for existence.
    We are here to love and praise God and his son Jesus.

The word church(ecclisastes) means a group called out for a specific purpose. It is not about a man made building.
    We are supposed to fellowship with other believers, if that is what you mean.
    Completely agree!
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    13 Aug '14 20:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The first sentence is wierd or badly phrased. Are you implying there must be a 'hell' [whatever that means] for life to have a purpose?
    Why would anyone need to choose between good and evil if there is no consequence for being evil?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    19 Aug '14 23:36
    Originally posted by pete3246
    There isn't a purpose. We are star dust and will always be star dust. Our conciousness will return to where it was prior to being born. I find so much comfort in that!
    I agree that there is no purpose except for what we invent.

As to the rest of your post I get where you're going but it's hard finding the right words [ for the whole audience ].

Thanks all the same ;/
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    19 Aug '14 23:45
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    Why would anyone need to choose between good and evil if there is no consequence for being evil?
    There is this concept known as empathy
  6. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Aug '14 23:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    For those who don't think there is a hell, what purpose does life have on earth today? Is there no purpose? Will we all wind up the same in the next life?

Also, for those who don't attend church. When Jesus said that he would build his church, what was he talking about? If he was talking about an actual organized body, why do you not attend church? If it is not an organized body of believers, what was Jesus talking about?
    As for hell; there is a hell. But the purpose is not to attain being part of it, rather to be with the Father.

What Jesus is talking about is two fold. One is in giving to Peter the keys of His church, the physical church. And two, the building of His church is the spiritual church - example in scripture is where he says," I am the vine and you are the branches."

Of the questions themselves, I thought they were good questions.

I think a question that might be asked is; in attending church (a physical church) do you find God there? I think for some, the real church comes from helping others. Or maybe helping others can be focal point of the church itself.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 00:39
    There are plenty of consequences of being evil [good], completely regardless of whether or not hell [heaven] is a fantasy.

Unless you're under 10 years old, questions like this are indicative of stunted moral development.
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 00:44
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    There are plenty of consequences of being evil [good], completely regardless of whether or not hell [heaven] is a fantasy.

Unless you're under 10 years old, questions like this are indicative of stunted moral development.
    So you say until you stand before the Creator. It is a familiar statement, but you'll be thankful when you realize in God's great mercy, He Too has a good sense of humor.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:011 edit
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    So you say until you stand before the Creator. It is a familiar statement, but you'll be thankful when you realize in God's great mercy, He Too has a good sense of humor.
    If you want me to take seriously the idea that there is such a creator, then you need to give me evidential reasons that make such an idea credible, not silly threats. Similarly, I do not need threats of punishment or promises of reward in order to understand the value of good actions over evil ones. Unlike you and lemon lime, I have outgrown such childish modes of deliberation.
  10. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:031 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    There is this concept known as empathy
    Unfortunately for many people empathy is only a concept. But even for those who have boat loads of empathy it hasn't proven to be much of a driving force to stave off evil... if it were then there would be little need for protection and prisons.

Empathy and good intentions often go hand in hand. Have you ever had to protect yourself or your children from someone who had boat loads of 'empathy' and 'good intentions'? I have.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:20
    Unfortunately for many people empathy is only a concept. But even for those who have boat loads of empathy it hasn't proven to be much of a driving force to stave off evil... if it were then there would be little need for protection and prisons.
    What effect on the "need for protection and prisons" do you think the threat of "Hell" has or has had [as a purported "consequence for being evil"]?
  12. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:201 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello

Saying "There are plenty of consequences of being evil..." doesn't answer my question. My question was "Why would anyone need to choose between good and evil if there is no consequence for being evil?" Not why would anyone choose, but why would anyone need to choose.

I'm assuming you are older than 10... ?
  13. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    What effect on the "need for protection and prisons" do you think the threat of "Hell" has or has had [as a purported "consequence for being evil"]?
    A consequence isn't a threat. If you are told of the consequences of jumping out of an airplane without a parachute, that's not a threat. And it's not necessarily a warning either, so do as you please.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:34
    A consequence isn't a threat. If you are told of the consequences of jumping out of an airplane without a parachute, that's not a threat. And it's not necessarily a warning either, so do as you please.
    But "Jumping out of an airplane without a parachute" is something real. Your belief that 'going to Hell' is "the consequence of being evil" is a mere threat because neither you ~ nor the person you might seek to threaten with the notion ~ can establish that the "consequence" is anything other than an idea you have. Planes, parachutes, and the ground are not ideas or notions or beliefs.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    20 Aug '14 01:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    But "Jumping out of an airplane without a parachute" is something real. Your belief that 'going to Hell' is "the consequence of being evil" is a mere threat because neither you ~ nor the person you might seek to threaten with the notion ~ can establish that the "consequence" is anything other than an idea you have. Planes, parachutes, and the ground are not ideas or notions or beliefs.
    Like I said...

Do as you please.

I wonder what Jonah said before he left Nineveh

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree