Questions on morality

Questions on morality

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by apathist
Oh. Salami has some value.
Silly sausage.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Who has claimed my beliefs are "forced on" me? Where are the posts where they said this?
If you end up doing something (like believing) you either did it by choice or you were forced. You obviously seem to believe you can't choose your beliefs so they must have forced themselves on you.

F

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
If you end up doing something (like believing) you either did it by choice or you were forced. You obviously seem to believe you can't choose your beliefs so they must have forced themselves on you.
We discussed this before. I made my view clear, but you seem to have taken your perspective on 'choosing to believe' to a nutty extreme. Are you saying that if I believe X (which is not-Y) because I find Y unbelievable, that you reckon X has "forced" itself on me?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
We discussed this before. I made my view clear, but you seem to have taken your perspective on 'choosing to believe' to a nutty extreme. Are you saying that if I believe X (which is not-Y) because I find Y unbelievable, that you reckon X has "forced" itself on me?
You examined the evidence, applied logic, and decided that X was more believable than Y, not the other way around.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

You examined the evidence, applied logic, and decided that X was more believable than Y, not the other way around.
Explain your daft my beliefs were "forced" on me thing, if you can.

There is no "evidence" that "proves" the superstitious things you propagate ~ you have conceded as much. All you have is the ancient Hebrew mythology you happen to be fond of.

People cannot simply "decide" to believe in supernatural things that there is no "evidence" for. They might realize that the stuff appeals to their imagination and that it makes some kind of sense or they might realize that they don't; but superstitious people cannot "choose" not to be superstitious, just as non-superstitious people cannot "choose" to become superstitious.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
Explain your daft my beliefs were "forced" on me thing, if you can.

There is no "evidence" that "proves" the superstitious things you propagate ~ you have conceded as much. All you have is the ancient Hebrew mythology you happen to be fond of.

People cannot simply "decide" to believe in supernatural things that there is no "evidence" for. They migh ...[text shortened]... t to be superstitious, just as non-superstitious people cannot "choose" to become superstitious.
Were you forced to believe that there is no evidence for supernatural things or did you decide that?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Were you forced to believe that there is no evidence for supernatural things or did you decide that?
I explained all this to you before. I didn't "decide" that I no longer believed the things Christians claim about God and Jesus, I realized it ~ and the process of realization lasted many years. There was no point in my life when I "decided" to be a Christian either.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

You've mentioned a few times the false dilemma that I either agree with your absurd and psychologically bogus assertion about people can somehow "choose" to believe in supernatural things that they find unbelievable, OR... that they are somehow "forced" to not believe it. This some kind of gimmick. If you use the word "forced" in this ludicrous way again without an explanation that makes sense, I will interpret it as you acknowledging that you are trolling the forum.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
I explained all this to you before. I didn't "decide" that I no longer believed the things Christians claim about God and Jesus, I realized it ~ and the process of realization lasted many years. There was no point in my life when I "decided" to be a Christian either.
So in your entire life you have never ever had to weigh evidence, apply logic, and choose to believe something? That means all the beliefs you ever had were forced on you. You were forced to be a Christian and after many years you were forced abandon those beliefs by who knows what. 🙄

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You've mentioned a few times the false dilemma that I either agree with your absurd and psychologically bogus assertion about people can somehow "choose" to believe in supernatural things that they find unbelievable, OR... that they are somehow "forced" to [b]not believe it. This some kind of gimmick. If you use the word "forced" in this ludicrous way again ...[text shortened]... tion that makes sense, I will interpret it as you acknowledging that you are trolling the forum.[/b]
Of course if you decide that something is unbelievable you won't believe it. No ones believes in something that they have decided makes no sense.

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

So in your entire life you have never ever had to weigh evidence, apply logic, and choose to believe something? That means all the beliefs you ever had were forced on you. You were forced to be a Christian and after many years you were forced abandon those beliefs by who knows what. 🙄
This use of the word "forced" makes you sound like you are trolling. It certainly makes you sound like you have never read or understood - or had even a modicum of respect for - any of my carefully thought out explanations about my real life experience over the months, or my revelations of a personal nature. Intellectually speaking, you appear to be acting the fool. "Forced"? You are asking me if I was "forced" to abandon my Christian beliefs? Did you get the idea of trolling with this particular new buzz word from somewhere on the net?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

Of course if you decide that something is unbelievable you won't believe it. No ones believes in something that they have decided makes no sense.
We went through all this before in great detail on the Barriers to belief thread. I'm not trawling through it all again.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17

Originally posted by FMF
This use of the word "forced" makes you sound like you are trolling. It certainly makes you sound like you have never read or understood - or had even a modicum of respect for - any of my carefully thought out explanations about my real life experience over the months, or my revelations of a personal nature. Intellectually speaking, you appear to be acting the f ...[text shortened]... ? Did you get the idea of trolling with this particular new buzz word from somewhere on the net?
The way I see it you either choose your beliefs or they are forced upon you. What other option is there?

F

Moves
20 Feb 17

The way I see it you either choose your beliefs or they are forced upon you. What other option is there?
Another option is the one - based on my personal experience and my observation of human nature in action over many decades - that I have explained to you many, many times, across multiple threads, over a period of months.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
20 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
Another option is the one - based on my personal experience and my observation of human nature in action over many decades - that I have explained to you many, many times, across multiple threads, over a period of months.
Which somehow entails no weighing up of evidence, no application of logic, and no choice whatsoever on your part, just a magical 'realization' that your beliefs have changed due to your experiences and observations. 🙄