1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 15:39
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Lol you are such a humanist. Personal strength of character not the God's work carried out.
    Personal strength of character isn't what saves us from sin that would be God's work
    through Jesus Christ. Walking out our lives in Christ requires we obey God, this isn't to
    be good enough, it is what we are supposed to do. I'm not sure what you find so bad
    in this that you think I'm a humanist in my position of agreeing we should not cut off body
    parts instead resist sin.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:06
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    Personal strength of character isn't what saves us from sin that would be God's work
    through Jesus Christ. Walking out our lives in Christ requires we obey God, this isn't to
    be good enough, it is what we are supposed to do. I'm not sure what you find so bad
    in this that you think I'm a humanist in my position of agreeing we should not cut off body
    parts instead resist sin.
    Then personal strength of character has nothing to do with it.

Not sure why you said preach it to humanist hog wash.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:09
    Then personal strength of character has nothing to do with it.

Not sure why you said preach it to humanist hog wash.
    What was it that he said you find to be humanist hog wash?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:14
    What was it that he said you find to be humanist hog wash?
    Lol I just pointed it out. God wanting personal strength of character.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:18
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I get what you are saying, but there is also the biblical teaching to consider of resisting temptation (to sin). So rather than 'literally' cutting off one's own hand to prevent theft (for example) God also would rather like us to have the strength of character to 'keep our hands' and yet somehow manage to stop ourselves from stealing. Consider Jame ...[text shortened]... test, they will receive as their reward the life which God has promised to those who love him.'
    Of course, God would rather people resist sin but God knows that there are some who cannot. In the case of the weak person then the person needs to remove all obstacles to the Kingdom of God.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:28
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I dont think so. Lets say a man has an uncontrollable urge to use his hands for evil, stealing, strangling people .. whatever. The point Jesus makes is that with hands that man will not enter the Kingdom of God but will be cast into the fire. Evil and sin is the hindrance to the Kingdom of God. Christians who think otherwise are deluded.

Of course the f ...[text shortened]... get some help etc. Failing that Jesus advises that he is better removing his hands .. literally.
    Good grief 🙄
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:29
    Lol you are such a joke. But hey you must be you.
    On what basis? There is a good discussion going on here.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:31
    Complete agreement.
    Really!!?

So let’s me get this straight, you guys the old Saudi approach of amputation of a hand for theft?
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    Lol I just pointed it out. God wanting personal strength of character.
    I wouldn't go that far, we don't get to God on our strength, as a matter of fact when we
    are weak God is strong for us. Whatever we lack that is required He provides, we cannot
    do this on our own which is the point of Jesus dying for us.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    Complete agreement.
    So Matthew 18:8 is literal in your opinion?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:33
    Originally posted by @sonship
    It’s a straightforward question sonship and I refer you to the second post in this thread for the reason why you won’t be unequivocal.

For reasons that I already discussed, I don't think Jesus meant to amputate eye, tongue, foot, hand, penis, ear in order to check your lust.

So I assume your logic is - "Well then, if the amputation ...[text shortened]... nce of your reasoning. Right? And as if a Bible student like myself never considered that logic.
    So Matthew 18:8 is methaporical in the bit that suits you; but literal in the bit that fulfils your desire to see enternal torture remain intact in your belief system?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:35
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    On what basis? There is a good discussion going on here.
    I suppose from your point of view.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:37
    I wouldn't go that far, we don't get to God on our strength, as a matter of fact when we
    are weak God is strong for us. Whatever we lack that is required He provides, we cannot
    do this on our own which is the point of Jesus dying for us.
    You are the one who responded with preach it. If you had said this to begin with I would have said nothing but you didn't. Be careful not to give the humanists false praise or better yet do not be led into their beliefs like you did.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:371 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Good grief 🙄
    Jesus is warning people to remove all obstacles to the Kingdom of God. I know its contrary to OSAS Christianity... which is just profess your faith and believe in your heart and then Jesus does the rest. Unfortunately for these Christians Jesus said no such thing.

Jesus said it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO AVOID SIN AT ALL COSTS. Its not His.. simple. .. ie a simple but effective slap in the face for that OSAS doctrine
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jul '18 16:48
    You are the one who responded with preach it. If you had said this to begin with I would have said nothing but you didn't. Be careful not to give the humanists false praise or better yet do not be led into their beliefs like you did.
    My praise was not false, I agreed with the words he wrote, for that matter I had to agree
    with Rajk999 as well for what he said. I'm not going to disagree with what I believe to be
    true simply because the person that said it doesn't share my faith. Truth will be truth no
    matter what, it doesn't depend on how I view anyone or not.

I know people can use the same words and they mean different things to everyone
    involved, so the meanings are crossed and there is a real disagreement while the text
    can be identical out of both mouths. Given the flow of this discussion I did not see that,
    it doesn't mean it isn't there, but I didn't see it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree