1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 12:17
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    be careful when calling little girls idiots. one of them (i am sure it isn't sumydid) might cry to the mods that you offended his feelings like one of them(i am sure it isn't sumydid) did in my case . and then the mods will tell you it is not nice to call little girls names.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 12:276 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I never said Christians never did anything good.
    They just didn't do it because they were Christian,
    And their religion didn't make them good artists, or philanthropists.

And if you can't see the good science has done then you are even more of an idiot than I already thought you were.

It's frankly embarrassing we live in the same nation.

Ever e today and you will see what secular morality
    has achieved against religions tyranny.

unsubstantiated assertion and mere opinion, you have no idea what motivated them
    nor can you make the ludicrous claim that it was not their religious convictions. You
    fail.

i never stated that science has not done any good, i merely pointed out that there
    are two sides to everything, with technology this has been the case as is self
    evident. i reserve terms like idiots for persons like you who cannot see that there
    are pros and cons and therefore make unfounded assertions without substantiation,
    thanks i couldn't have done it without your unprecedented idiocy.

we dont live in the same nation, I am Scottish, ethnically and culturally different, in
    fact, if i could i would chisel my way along the border and sail you out into the
    Atlantic where you can continue to proffer your deluded and ignorant assertions in
    seclusion, for lets face it, they are probably best kept to themselves, anyway.

suck it up you failure, secularism has done nothing for humanity and all such
    ingrates are doomed to proffer from their room full of mirrors empty delusions. Did
    i mention you were a failure, just saying.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 12:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

unsubstantiated assertion and mere opinion, you have no idea what motivated them
    nor can you make the ludicrous claim that it was not their religious convictions. You
    fai ...[text shortened]... their room full of mirrors empty delusions. Did
    I agree with Robbie that it is absurd to claim that Christianity has done nothing for the advancement of civilization. I can give one huge example of one of Christianities contribution using one word. Literacy.

Not to metion I think the monastaries of Europe did a bang up job of advancing the art and science of brewing. One taste of the Dopplebock brewed at the Andech's monastary in Bavaria is enough to gain my appreciation for those people.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:30
    Originally posted by Ullr
    I agree with Robbie that it is absurd to claim that Christianity has done nothing for the advancement of civilization. I can give one huge example of one of Christianities contribution using one word. Literacy.

Not to metion I think the monastaries of Europe did a bang up job of advancing the art and science of brewing. One taste of the Dopplebock brewed at the Andech's monastary in Bavaria is enough to gain my appreciation for those people.
    on the brew part it is not like christianity did it, there were simply brewers that happened to be monks and christians. (you probably joked about it) isaac newton was a christian but we don't believe the laws of mechanics were put forth by christianity.

and he did say almost nothing. i don't agree with "almost nothing", the truth is more in the middle, christianity had some bad, some good.
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:37
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    on the brew part it is not like christianity did it, there were simply brewers that happened to be monks and christians. (you probably joked about it) isaac newton was a christian but we don't believe the laws of mechanics were put forth by christianity.

and he did say almost nothing. i don't agree with "almost nothing", the truth is more in the middle, christianity had some bad, some good.
    Yeah I was sort of joking about the brew part of it. Although I really do think the monastic lifestyle (or better yet lack of a lifestyle) gave them the time and attention required to get really, really good at it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:412 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi

he wrote more words in his search for religious truth than he did on his scientific
    discoveries, also he was motivated to find the workings of the universe and the
    intelligence behind it directly from his belief as a Christian.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:51

fai ...[text shortened]... their room full of mirrors empty delusions. Did
    secularism has done nothing for humanity.

Yes it has. It's banished the lunatic religious folk to the fringes where over the course of time they will become obsolete. What more could you ask for?!
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:53
    he wrote more words in his search for religious truth than he did on his scientific
    discoveries, also he was motivated to find the workings of the universe and the
    intelligence behind it directly from his belief as a Christian.
    He also had more than 50 times the recommended level of mercury in his body when he died. He was, quite literally, mad as a hatter.

Religious Truth® - There's an oxymoron if ever there was one.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]secularism has done nothing for humanity.

Yes it has. It's banished the lunatic religious folk to the fringes where over the course of time they will become obsolete. What more could you ask for?![/b]
    Au contraire, we are alive and well and undergoing somewhat of a resurgence! people
    are coming to realise that materialism is an empty deception. You of all people
    recognise the truth of this Great Obi wan ka Knobi
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 14:59
    He also had more than 50 times the recommended level of mercury in his body when he died. He was, quite literally, mad as a hatter.

Religious Truth® - There's an oxymoron if ever there was one.
    But competent enough to write lucid texts on his findings.
  11. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 15:07
    But competent enough to write lucid texts on his findings.
    In his early days, in later life he became a little 'strange'.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 15:10
    In his early days, in later life he became a little 'strange'.
    obviously it was secularism what done it to 'im.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 15:12
    Au contraire, we are alive and well and undergoing somewhat of a resurgence! people
    are coming to realise that materialism is an empty deception. You of all people
    recognise the truth of this Great Obi wan ka Knobi
    It is what it is Rob.

Closing your mind off to the evidence (something you admit to) because it doesn't fit in with what you want to believe is certainly not the way to go. No 'truth' will be found down that path. I go where the evidence takes me, and before me stands a big empty ocean.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 15:13
    obviously it was secularism what done it to 'im.
    More like his dabblings in 'alchemy'.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Nov '11 15:16
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Yeah I was sort of joking about the brew part of it. Although I really do think the monastic lifestyle (or better yet lack of a lifestyle) gave them the time and attention required to get really, really good at it.
    true that, also the works of art monks did (mural paintings, icons, the books they copied).

middle ages churches did do a wonderful job preserving some masterpieces like greek literature and philosophy.

it could have been better without the censorship they imposed on various fields, but i guess it could have been worse.

maybe playing "what if" games with history isn't that productive. and i think the thread has derailed from what george said and what he meant.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree