1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:211 edit
    'nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution' - Dobzhansky

this appears to me to be dogmatic and has resulted in two scientists looking at scorpion flies and drawing conclusions about human rape! How can this be? seriously, because nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution???? really? I mean seriously, really?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So answer the questions.
    No you answer the question, this is the third time you have been asked, why do men rape? you say you know, so tell us, I told you why i think men commit rape, why cant you?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:251 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is your understanding of the word 'natural' in this context? From a scientific perspective, 'natural' implies 'something that happens in nature', or 'something that happens with less than rare frequency'. I think it is impossible to deny that rape happens amongst humans frequently.
    I think your objection is due to your own incorrect presumption that being 'natural' has some bearing on moral correctness.
    so lets get this, because something happens frequently, its natural, therefore rape because it happens frequently is natural, wow, so the logical consequence must be because an event happens less frequently its not natural or not as natural, naturalness being dependent upon frequency of event, I don't think I've heard anything so absurd in my time here.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:27
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

this appears to me to be dogmatic and has resulted in two scientists looking at scorpion flies and drawing conclusions about human rape! How can this be? seriously, because nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution????
    If you want to know, read the book.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:29
    some disagree, it remains to be seen if all disagree!
    From what I've read last 20 mins lots of scientists disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Natural_History_of_Rape#Reception
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:30
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    If you want to know, read the book.
    Now fess up my son and admit that this dogma has resulted in an absurdity!
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:31
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    From what I've read last 20 mins lots of scientists disagree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Natural_History_of_Rape#Reception
    Good then led us condemn this dogma!
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:36
    Good then led us condemn this dogma!
    When you say rape is not natural, what do you mean by natural?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:36
    No you answer the question, this is the third time you have been asked, why do men rape? you say you know, so tell us, I told you why i think men commit rape, why cant you?
    I already answered it. I said I agree with the OP that its a mating strategy that has evolved in us. You, on the other hand have not answered the question.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:37
    Dogma, absurdity? That's a loaded question.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:38
    so lets get this, because something happens frequently, its natural, therefore rape because it happens frequently is natural, wow, so the logical consequence must be because an event happens less frequently its not natural or not as natural, naturalness being dependent upon frequency of event, I don't think I've heard anything so absurd in my time here.
    Its simply what I mean by the word. Definitions cannot be absurd. They just are.
    I notice that you still have not given your own definition.
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:56
    can you explain why you think the theory put forward is 'dogma'.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:58
    When you accept that looking at human behaviour through the prism of the evolutionary hypothesis and scientific dogma is pure folly! then we can talk.
    can you explain why the study i mentioned is folly?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 13:59

this appears to me to be dogmatic and has resulted in two scientists looking at scorpion flies and drawing conclusions about human rape! How can this be? seriously, because nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution???? really? I mean seriously, really?
    Maybe you see it as dogma because what it contradicts is dogma. But it's one scientist's opinion and it's not science. Shared by many who like him devote their life's work to evolutionary biology. I can imagine a ballet dancer saying nothing in dance makes sense without ballet.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Feb '14 14:43
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    can you explain why the study i mentioned is folly?
    yes because rioters and policemen are not foxes and rabbits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree