Rape is a mating strategy

Rape is a mating strategy

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Feb 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
There are a number of issues here,

The absolute folly in equating animal behaviour with human and then drawing conclusions on that basis for what happens in the natural world may be good for animals but is absolutely disastrous for humans.

For example i am an aquarist, i keep fishes, the male guppy is splendiferously arrayed in comparison to ...[text shortened]... have done so that this type of thinking has led to this kind of assertion, that rape is natural.
From the OP's link:

"The findings of science have nothing to say about what is morally right or wrong. People are in agreement that rape is wrong and desire its extinction. Where science - specifically evolutionary biology - can help, is in providing salient knowledge for achieving this goal. The identification of the evolutionary basis of a trait implies nothing about the moral rightness of the trait. To think otherwise is to commit the "naturalistic fallacy", a fallacy that some critics of our work continue to make despite having the fallacious logic of their position explained many times by evolutionary scientists. "

The report concludes that it would be a disservice to the goal of reducing rape, to ignore or deny its natural element. This is not moral approval of forced copulation.

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14

Originally posted by JS357
From the OP's link:

"The findings of science have nothing to say about what is morally right or wrong. People are in agreement that rape is wrong and desire its extinction. Where science - specifically evolutionary biology - can help, is in providing salient knowledge for achieving this goal. The identification of the evolutionary basis of a trait implies n ...[text shortened]... , to ignore or deny its natural element. This is not moral approval of forced copulation.
I acknowledged this point earlier while remonstrating with whitey, the proposition was put forth that rape may be 'natural' but that says nothing about whether its right or wrong, science can find salient knowledge for achieving the goal of making rape extinct - wow, yet it cannot even help the adherent make any type of moral judgement, id say its can do neither, for rape is an issue of spirituality and morality and to think that one can solve it primarily by scientific means is pure folly.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
21 Feb 14

There are a number of issues here,

The absolute folly in equating animal behaviour with human and then drawing conclusions on that basis for what happens in the natural world may be good for animals but is absolutely disastrous for humans.

For example i am an aquarist, i keep fishes, the male guppy is splendiferously arrayed in comparison to ...[text shortened]... have done so that this type of thinking has led to this kind of assertion, that rape is natural.
Robbie, you know my views on the matter of the evolution v creation debate, so I won't go into the details of that issue.
However, I gotta tell you on this one, you're not looking at it correctly.

Set aside your disagreement with evolution for the time being and re-think the conclusions you are coming to by considering first what is motivating the folks considering the topic.

I found the following study on the topic quite enlightening, although I completely disagree with the foundation of evolutionary psychology, on the basis of my rejection of the premise of evolution.
Nonetheless, the study (http://courses.washington.edu/evpsych/why%20men%20rape.pdf)
brings out quite a few interesting and intriguing points and draws a conclusion that further study is warranted.

But here's probably the best point it makes early on, as justification for the study in the first place:

"No sensible person would argue that a scientist researching the causes of cancer is thereby justifying or promoting cancer."

Moves
21 Feb 14

I acknowledged this point earlier while remonstrating with whitey, the proposition was put forth that rape may be 'natural' but that says nothing about whether its right or wrong, science can find salient knowledge for achieving the goal of making rape extinct - wow, yet it cannot even help the adherent make any type of moral judgement, id say its ca ...[text shortened]... ity and morality and to think that one can solve it primarily by scientific means is pure folly.
can you explain how morality and spirituality (or lack of) leads to rape?

Moves
21 Feb 14

I acknowledged this point earlier while remonstrating with whitey, the proposition was put forth that rape may be 'natural' but that says nothing about whether its right or wrong, science can find salient knowledge for achieving the goal of making rape extinct - wow, yet it cannot even help the adherent make any type of moral judgement, id say its ca ...[text shortened]... ity and morality and to think that one can solve it primarily by scientific means is pure folly.
Wow! You giveth and taketh back in the same paragraph.🙂

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie
can you explain how morality and spirituality (or lack of) leads to rape?
I already have, through the suppression of the natural faculty of conscience. A person with a functioning conscience would be aware of the suffering caused to others, physical, spiritual and emotional and their functioning conscience would prevent them from engaging in any act in which they knowingly harmed another. An individual with a malfunctioning conscience or a completely defunct conscience has no mechanism to prevent them from wilfully harming others and thus they are capable of perpetrating and even justifying atrocity.

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14

Originally posted by JS357
Wow! You giveth and taketh back in the same paragraph.🙂
LOL, too funny.

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Robbie, you know my views on the matter of the evolution v creation debate, so I won't go into the details of that issue.
However, I gotta tell you on this one, you're not looking at it correctly.

Set aside your disagreement with evolution for the time being and re-think the conclusions you are coming to by considering first what is motivating the folk ...[text shortened]... ue that a scientist researching the causes of cancer is thereby justifying or promoting cancer."
research into cancer is quite different than formulating absurd theories on the basis of scientific dogma, i think you will agree. Never the less your point is understood and received.

D

Moves
21 Feb 14
5 edits

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
No one is claiming there is scientific consensus and on the contrary the process which was gone through from the article that was cited was ultimately to make the assertion that rape is a 'natural mating strategy'. This assertion relied upon the scientific dogma that 'nothing in biology make sense except when seen through the prism of the evolutionary hypothesis', dogma which I have successfully challenged, for it makes no sense to view rape as a natural consequence of anything other than a sociopathic mind.

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14

I reject all genetic arguments on the basis that we are free moral agents responsible for our own acts.

D

Moves
21 Feb 14

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14

yes I am willing to acquiesce for how else are we to account for it?

Sociopaths look and dress conventionally

http://www.mcafee.cc/Bin/sb.html

D

Moves
21 Feb 14

rc

Moves
21 Feb 14
1 edit

Not conflating, no, its the existentialist in me, one should act as oneself, not as "one" acts or as "one's genes" or any other essence requires 😀

It seems much more complicated than i envisioned but at the same time I have a feeling that there is something common and quite sinister at its route, like a kind of unadulterated selfishness, a complete disregard for someone else feelings.

As for rape culture, its quite interesting, because even among the criminals of Barlinnie Prison, the worst and most heinous crime that you can be 'reprimanded in custody', for is rape, you are labelled 'a beast' and you will face as a consequence the wrath of fellow prisoners, undoubtedly when they learn of your deeds. Does rape culture exist here, hardly, its quite the opposite.