1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:26
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I like my apologies to come with a cheque. (Preferably for 12 hundred pounds).
    Don't sell yourself so cheap my friend! 😉
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:28
    Originally posted by josephw
    Don't sell yourself so cheap my friend! 😉
    🙂

Nearly 100 days without a chess move old chap. Time for another game?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    Telling someone who was a committed Christian for a quarter of a century that he wasn't one after all - and offering little more than wordplay as your evidence - is about as subjective and peculiarly "personal" as you could be. 😀
    Don't take it so personal. We're merely players on a stage grappling with words in a dialog no on is really paying any attention to. And it's virtually anonymous anyway.

Besides, who's perfect? Well, I guess that would be God. 😀
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    🙂

Nearly 100 days without a chess move old chap. Time for another game?
    Almost. Not quite ready to be humiliated again. But soon.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:50
    Almost. Not quite ready to be humiliated again. But soon.
    Hey, you won one. 😉
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:53
    That's ridiculous. You have stated that you have no faith. How can you possibly think you can tell me what faith is. Very obtuse.

You stated that you were a Christian. By definition, being a Christian means believing God. So, by pure and simple logic, if one no longer believes God, when once upon a time they did, but now they don't, that one is then cal ...[text shortened]... effect that God doesn't save sinners and make them into sons and daughters.

Real Christians.
    I can hardly be claiming your God figure is lying if I don't believe He has said anything to either of us! 😉
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 13:54
    Sorry Ghost of a Duke. Twelve hundred quid possibly on the way to you.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:181 edit
    [b]"Which one and why?"

Do you mean which God? There is only one.

"(Oh, and I am not in a quandary)"

Is that so? The ultimate act of denial is the denial of the existence of God. The quandary of denial and unbelief.[/b]
    Do you mean which God? There is only one.

How did you 'believe God' before you had decided which (version of) God you were going to believe in? Put it another way, could you have just decided to believe the Muslim God, or the Hindu Gods?

You simply gloss over what I would consider a more difficult quandary when asked to 'believe God' which is, as I say, which one?

Is that so? The ultimate act of denial is the denial of the existence of God. The quandary of denial and unbelief.

I deny pink unicorns exist. I don't believe pink unicorns exist. I'll bet you can't explain why I am in a quandary over this.

BTW, have you ever noticed how often you presume to tell me what I think? When in fact all you mean is 'this is what I think'.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    I can hardly be claiming your God figure is lying if I don't believe He has said anything to either of us! 😉
    Well, it just seems rather odd to me that you did believe God for over 25 years, but now you don't. I can't imagine how let down you must have been. Do you miss hearing His voice? 😉

If you apologize to the Ghost again you'll have to pay another 1200 pounds! 😵 😀
  10. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:372 edits
    I can't imagine how let down you must have been.
    Stop doing this!!!!!
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:49
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Stop doing this!!!!!
    Stop doing what? Do you mean stop posting in this thread? Are you blowing a fuse?
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:531 edit
    Stop doing what? Do you mean stop posting in this thread? Are you blowing a fuse?
    I mean stop telling people how they must have felt.

You have no idea whether, or how, let down FMF might have felt, if at all. I have known a number of people who tell me that they only started feeling truly at ease with life when they finally abandoned any idea of a God.

(Oh, and it was meant in a friendly way, but I missed off the smiley)
  13. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:591 edit
    I can't imagine how let down you must have been.
    Actually, on reflection, this statement might well have been unintentionally true.

After all, if the answer is that FMF was not at all let down, I can well believe that you cannot imagine this.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 14:59
    Well, it just seems rather odd to me that you did believe God for over 25 years, but now you don't. I can't imagine how let down you must have been. Do you miss hearing His voice?
    Like I said earlier, no quandary was experienced during the process of extricating myself from my former Christian faith.

Ghost of a Duke, I've wangled it to mention "quandary", so expect no compensation this time.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:06
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    I mean stop telling people how they must have felt.

You have no idea whether, or how, let down FMF might have felt, if at all. I have known a number of people who tell me that they only started feeling truly at ease with life when they finally abandoned any idea of a God.

(Oh, and it was meant in a friendly way, but I missed off the smiley)
    Perhaps you missed the smiley in my post to FMF.

Besides, I didn't tell anyone how they actually felt. How could I possibly know that?

I suppose it's sometimes difficult to figure out when someone is being, or using sarcastic humor. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Although sometimes I probably do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree