1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:152 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    Perhaps you missed the smiley in my post to FMF.

Besides, I didn't tell anyone how they actually felt. How could I possibly know that?

I suppose it's sometimes difficult to figure out when someone is being, or using sarcastic humor. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. Although sometimes I probably do.
    Besides, I didn't tell anyone how they actually felt. How could I possibly know that?

Actually you did (and do it frequently). You presumed that FMF must have felt let down. It did not cross your mind that he might not have felt this way at all.

Do you now accept that my not believing in God (denial of his/her existence) is not a quandary for me?
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    Like I said earlier, no quandary was experienced during the process of extricating myself from my former Christian faith.

Ghost of a Duke, I've wangled it to mention "quandary", so expect no compensation this time.
    Strange you should speak to the Ghost while replying to me in your post above. Just seems odd to me, but I guess that's just me.

The question in the OP is, ".., what is the biggest religious quandary you had to overcome in securing your faith?"

Surely you must have experienced some sort of confusion going from faith to faithless! I mean, you must have realized you lost hope in God's promise of eternal life at some point. That had to have been depressing don't you think?
  3. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:22
    Surely you must have experienced some sort of confusion going from faith to faithless! I mean, you must have realized you lost hope in God's promise of eternal life at some point. That had to have been depressing don't you think?
    You're doing it again.....

🙂
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:30
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    [b]Besides, I didn't tell anyone how they actually felt. How could I possibly know that?

Actually you did (and do it frequently). You presumed that FMF must have felt let down. It did not cross your mind that he might not have felt this way at all.

Do you now accept that my not believing in God (denial of his/her existence) is not a quandary for me?[/b]
    Ever hear of empathy? People feel sad and depressed. We all do at one time or another for a variety of reasons.

Why do you assume that I or another can't understand how someone may feel about a common experience?

"Do you now accept that my not believing in God (denial of his/her existence) is not a quandary for me?"

No. Otherwise you wouldn't be here defending the position of unbelief in the nonexistent. 😉
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:36
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    You're doing it again.....

🙂
    Doing what for heaven's sake Rank? 😉 FMF was talking to me and I was only replying to what he said.

Why do you feel the need to come to FMF's rescue? 😉
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Like I said earlier, no quandary was experienced during the process of extricating myself from my former Christian faith.

Ghost of a Duke, I've wangled it to mention "quandary", so expect no compensation this time.
    Duly noted.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:48
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Duly noted.
    Make him pay Ghost! I am! 😉

roflmao
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:50
    😕
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 15:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    😕
    😲
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 16:07
    Originally posted by divegeester
    😕
    Sorry Dive but i have recently acquisitioned that emoticon.

This one however is still available 😵
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 16:131 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Sorry Dive but i have recently acquisitioned that emoticon.

This one however is still available 😵
    😵 May I?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 17:311 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    😵 May I?
    I had you down as a 😛
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:47
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It's unfortunate that he put you through that, then.

And thanks for answering my question.

At first I had assumed that you didn't know what a god-parent's duties are, but I felt that was too assuming, so I assumed you did know, and thus my question. But since you explained that you didn't know, the entire incident makes more sense. It still wasn't c ...[text shortened]... that, even beyond making a mockery of the service. He shouldn't have put you in that situation.
    This is the second or third time we have agreed on something in over 5 years! 😀
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 18:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    This is the second or third time we have agreed on something in over 5 years! 😀
    Am risking a plethora of thumbs down, but you both bring a lot to these forums and i enjoy reading your posts. Despite your frequent disagreements, i think you share similar character traits (Sharp, almost brutal, sense of humour, say things as you see them; no sugar-coating).
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '16 20:551 edit
    If I had experienced any depression - or anything that was depressing - I would have mentioned it in my post at the top of page two. Perhaps you are asking me because you have not taken a moment to digest what I have been saying.

Rather than confusion, I experienced the onset of a new clarity. As for "hope in God's promise of eternal life", I'm not sure what you are on about; when I was a Christian, I felt certainty ~ or perhaps confidence ~ about "salvation" . It wasn't about "hope". So there has been no loss of hope.

I found the realization - that what I had internalized for so long was, on re-examination, misplaced certainty - to be empowering and positive. Not depressing or confusing or a case of "lost hope". Not at all. In fact, I don't really have any regrets.

And there was no quandary (and I want Ghost of a Duke to know that). 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree