Resurrection verses Reincarnation

Resurrection verses Reincarnation

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
15 May 17

Originally posted by dj2becker
Of course you will say that any historian who believes there is reasonable evidence for the resurrection does so because of their Christian faith and superstition.
The reason professional historians, acting in that capacity, would never claim there was historical evidence in the form of 500 eye witness accounts is because there simply aren't 500 eye witness accounts. You can't even show me 50 of them. Or 10 of them. Neither can these "historians" you keep referring to.

F

Moves
15 May 17

What about all the atheists who have made it their life ambition to disprove Christianity, who went and studied the evidence with the intention of invalidating it, and became Christians because of the overwhelming evidence they found?
No one denies that atheists can become religious, just as religious people can become non-believers. One person's "overwhelming evidence" can be nothing more than an elaborate concoction of assertions to another person.

Moves
15 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
The reason professional historians, acting in that capacity, would never claim there was historical evidence in the form of 500 eye witness accounts is because there simply aren't 500 eye witness accounts. You can't even show me 50 of them. Or 10 of them. Neither can these "historians" you keep referring to.
You are deliberately misinterpreting the claim. Did you bother to read the link I posted? Clearly not.

F

Moves
15 May 17

You are deliberately misinterpreting the claim. Did you bother to read the link I posted? Clearly not.
You either have 500 eye witness accounts or you don't. People asserting that there are 500 eye witness accounts that they then cannot produce are just playing to the gallery of superstitious people, offering them a fig leaf incorrectly marked 'historical method', and maybe selling books. You are the intended audience for this nonsense; you lap it up; you regurgitate it.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
15 May 17

That's rich.

You asked for me to provide possible evidence for reincarnation. I provided a link, to which you had given no indication you have examined.

F

Moves
15 May 17

And besides the 500 witnesses is merely one pebble in a mountain of evidence.
sonship claimed that "Old Testament saints" rose from the dead and appeared in the city of Jerusalem after Jesus rose. Do you have "a mountain of evidence" for this too?

Moves
15 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
You either have 500 eye witness accounts or you don't. People asserting that there are 500 eye witness accounts that they then cannot produce are just playing to the gallery of superstitious people, offering them a fig leaf incorrectly marked 'historical method', and maybe selling books. You are the intended audience for this nonsense; you lap it up; you regurgitate it.
Ok let's start with the new testament since it provides the primary historical source
for information on the resurrection. On what basis do you reject its reliability?

Moves
15 May 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
That's rich.

You asked for me to provide possible evidence for reincarnation. I provided a link, to which you had given no indication you have examined.
I examined the link and commented on it, you have yet to respond to my comment.

F

Moves
15 May 17

Ok let's start with the new testament since it provides the primary historical source
for information on the resurrection. On what basis do you reject its reliability?
You either have 500 eye witness accounts or you don't. Have you withdrawn the claim?

F

Moves
15 May 17
1 edit

for information on the resurrection.
What is your basis for this claim? The New Testament is a set of texts that were written and edited and added to for hundreds of years by many unknown authors before they were 'finalized'. They are therefore a secondary source, and only a primary source in so far as they are evidence of what texts Christians use for the basis of their religion.

Moves
15 May 17
1 edit

Of course you will say that any historian who believes there is reasonable evidence for the resurrection does so because of their Christian faith and superstition. You don't know this to be a fact yet you choose to believe so. What about all the atheists who have made it their life ambition to disprove Christianity, who went and studied the evidence with t ...[text shortened]... ntion of invalidating it, and became Christians because of the overwhelming evidence they found?
So it seems you really didn't bother to read the link:

"Because the New Testament
provides the primary historical source
for information on the resurrection,
many critics during the 19th century
attacked the reliability of these biblical
documents.
By the end of the 19th century, however,
archaeological discoveries had
confirmed the accuracy of the New
Testament manuscripts. Discoveries of
early papyri bridged the gap between
the time of Christ and existing
manuscripts from a later date.
Those findings increased scholarly
confidence in the reliability of the
Bible. William F. Albright, who in
his day was the world's foremost
biblical archaeologist, said: "We can
already say emphatically that there is
no longer any solid basis for dating any
book of the New Testament after about
A.D. 80, two full generations before
the date between 130 and 150 given
by the more radical New Testament
critics of today."
Coinciding with the papyri discoveries,
an abundance of other manu-scripts came to light (over
24,000 copies of early, New Testament
manuscripts are known to be in
existence today). The historian Luke
wrote of "authentic evidence" concerning
the resurrection. Sir William
Ramsay, who spent 15 years
attempting to undermine Luke's
credentials as a historian and to
refute the reliability of the New Testament,
finally concluded: "Luke is a
historian of the first rank.... This
author should be placed along with
the very greatest of historians."

"I claim to be an
historian. My approach
to Classics is historical.
And I tell you that the evidence
for the life, death, and
the resurrection of Christ is
better authenticated than
most of the facts of ancient
history…."
E.M. Blaiklock
Professor of Classics
Auckland University

F

Moves
15 May 17

So it seems you really didn't bother to read the link:

"Because the New Testament
provides the primary historical source
for information on the resurrection,
many critics during the 19th century
attacked the reliability of these biblical
documents.
By the end of the 19th century, however,
archaeological discoveries had
confirmed the accuracy of ...[text shortened]... f the first rank.... This
author should be placed along with
the very greatest of historians."
I don't agree with the copy pasted text that you happen to agree with.

Moves
15 May 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I don't agree with the copy pasted text that you happen to agree with.
Sure, because you choose not to. Or do you have information that refutes it that I am not privy to?

F

Moves
15 May 17

"I claim to be an
historian. My approach
to Classics is historical.
And I tell you that the evidence
for the life, death, and
the resurrection of Christ is
better authenticated than
most of the facts of ancient
history…."
E.M. Blaiklock
Professor of Classics
Auckland University
Do you think that E.M. Blaiklock's declaration of his faith in Jesus is a primary source or a secondary source?

F

Moves
15 May 17

Sure, because you choose not to. Or do you have information that refutes it that I am not privy to?
Well you have already dodged my question. On what basis do you claim the NT is "primary source" material?