RHP Spirituality Forum: Miscellaneous

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
26 Jan 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Here's a place to footnote comments you may have that would be off topic in active threads and/or wouldn't merit a thread of their own.
In our arena here, American Christians, to a degree, sometimes appear to downplay theological differences between themselves, and overplay theological differences they have with non-American Christians, when interacting with these aforementioned 'foreigners'.

For example, American Christian X might strongly disagree with the God-of-Eternal-Torture concept subscribed to by American Christians Y and Z. But American Christian X will defend the God-of-Eternal-Torture beliefs of American Christians Y and Z, if they are criticized or disagreed with by, say, European Christian W.

Another manifestation of this is American Christians rarely declaring each other to be 'not Christians' but being quite happy, at the drop of a hat sometimes, to declare non-American Christians to be 'not Christians'.

This is simply an impression I have after inhabiting this forum for many years and I don't claim to have any empirical evidence! 😀

F

Moves
26 Jan 15

Here's a place to footnote comments you may have that would be off topic in active threads and/or wouldn't merit a thread of their own.
Here's another "footnote comment". There is a rather interesting debating tactic used here ~ by religionists more often than by non-religious posters ~ and perhaps it's used on other forums too, but certainly there's quite a bit of it here ~ and that is, point blank on topic on target nail on the head completely pertinent direct candid and timely questions are ignored and ignored and ignored, and then later, when those questions have shuffled off into the steadily retreating pages of the posting archive, they are all collectively described as having had nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion, and so booted into touch. Quite a lot of genuine discussion is evaded in this way.

F

Moves
26 Jan 15
1 edit

Another "footnote comment". I detect a contempt for, and hostility towards, Catholics and Catholicism here among many of the forum's Protestants that I do not encounter in 'real life' here in Indonesia where I move in largely "Christian" circles (and always have) where Catholics and Protestants are all jumbled together (and Muslims too). In fact, I first truly became aware of the extent of this contempt and hostility only after I left Britain 24 years ago and then came into more personal contact with American Protestants on my travels.

F

Moves
26 Jan 15

Yet another "footnote comment" that would probably make for a largely ignored thread although it is an observation that might be germane on threads from time to time where a certain rhetorical device is being deployed.

Why do some religionists demand that non-religionists propose alternative religionist beliefs that will trump and replace the religionist beliefs they already hold and then seem to suggest that the non-religionist's failure to do so is some kind of evidence of the veracity of what the religionist believes?

This always strikes me as a really odd and fatally weak 'debating' device.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jan 15

â—¾“If there were no God, there would be no atheists.” – Where All Roads Lead, 1922 -G.K. Chesterton

"If there was no God, there'd be no reason to be an atheist." -truth. (Facebook Paraphrase)

F

Moves
26 Jan 15

And another "footnote comment". Religious people are much more likely than non-religious people to resort to the rhetoric of bumper sticker declarations, fridge magnet ideas and perhaps the occasional bit of overwrought word salad or word play. Who are these nuggets of nincompoop intended for? They are not going to change anyone's unbelief into belief. So they must be for the satisfaction of the bumper-stickerists themselves, which begs the question: do these kinds of anodyne utterances actually work for them as spiritual people?

F

Moves
26 Jan 15
1 edit

Yet another "footnote comment" that would probably not make for a particularly lively thread, so I'll offer it as a footnote here instead simply to air the opinion: it's regrettable that there aren't more voices here in this community from more religions.

The discussions involving Christians and the non-Christians are all well and good, as are the Christians discussing things with Christians, but this place would be much more interesting if there were Jews and Muslims and Hindus here, and more Buddhists, and so on.

A more diverse mix might prompt the occasional bit of hate speech from certain quarters, but ~ that aside ~ overall, this forum would be better off if it had a bit more of a varied dramatis personae.

F

Moves
26 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
In fact, I first truly became aware of the extent of this (Christian) contempt and hostility (towards Catholic) only after I left Britain 24 years ago....
This is not true, on reflection. There was of course the hard line chip-spitting Protestantism in Ulster personified by Ian Paisley as I was growing up, but I didn't really take that to heart ~ he seemed a bit beyond parody, although I am sure he wasn't harmless.

Moves
26 Jan 15

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people." ~Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)

"Quotations by Author

Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962)
US diplomat & reformer [more author details]"
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Eleanor_Roosevelt

The quotation contains six nouns; one is "people". Her focus is on three categories of mindset in discussions.
Not to belabor the point, but it would be good to have information on where, when, and in what context she wrote or said this. It seems like a glib over-generaliation.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Jan 15

Originally posted by JS357
Not to belabor the point, but it would be good to have information on where, when, and in what context she wrote or said this. It seems like a glib over-generaliation.
I am not sure it is all that important what the context was, unless we are defending Eleanor Roosevelt for some reason. Either the quote makes good sense, or it doesn't. It doesn't really matter who first said it, or what context, or whether or not they were right to say it.
I personally disagree with the quote.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jan 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am not sure it is all that important what the context was, unless we are defending Eleanor Roosevelt for some reason. Either the quote makes good sense, or it doesn't. It doesn't really matter who first said it, or what context, or whether or not they were right to say it.
I personally disagree with the quote.
twhitehead, I appreciate your impartial objectivity and certainly respect your freedom to "disagree" with the quotation.

Moves
26 Jan 15

Another observation is that there hasn't been one thread topic referencing atheism in the last ninety threads.
Are you going to share at least one thing that you have learnt from another "valued" poster?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jan 15
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Are you going to share at least one thing that you have learnt from another "valued" poster?
That "God's donkey" played a significant role in the spiritual lives of your family from your Thread 157748

02 Feb '14 13:44 :: 3 edits

"I'm not in the habit of promoting stuff (other than my own opinions), but for anyone interested I found this book a blessing. I know the author, not well as he is a friend of my parents; but I have met the man and found him to be a fellow seeker and struggler. He also has a great strength. Copies of his unpretentious account of his life with Christ are free of charge. I recommend a read."

http://www.godsdonkey.com

Moves
26 Jan 15

That "God's donkey" played a significant role in the spiritual lives of your family from your Thread 157748

02 Feb '14 13:44 :: 3 edits

"I'm not in the habit of promoting stuff (other than my own opinions), but for anyone interested I found this book a blessing. I know the author, not well as ...[text shortened]... t of his life with Christ are free of charge. I recommend a read."

http://www.godsdonkey.com
Well that was something that I learned that know about me, now why don't you tell us one thing that you have actually learnt (aside from stuff you have found out) from any other "valued" poster?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
26 Jan 15

Well that was something that I learned that know about me, now why don't you tell us one thing that you have actually learnt (aside from stuff you have found out) from any other "valued" poster?
Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)

Here's a place to footnote comments you may have that would be off topic in active threads and/or wouldn't merit a thread of their own. Since 2012, I've made it a point to go to the site profiles of some contributors to access their most recent posts. Which "contributors"? Varies but includes atheists, agnostics, theists and believers in Christ. Why? Because I care about and learn from them; and respect their intellectual integrity. All of you are invited to post here, except trolls. -Bob

Will do without prodding in my own good time. By the way, the adjective "valued" doesn't appear in the original post.