1. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 17:484 edits
    I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this passage below. I suspect that this passage is used by Christians to show that only Christians can please God and all others [ie nonChristians] cannot. By extension only Christians can do good works while nonChristians cannot.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you.

Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (Romans 8:1-14 KJV)

Here are my thoughts on this passage and related issues:

1. Good works means just that - good works. Good works cannot be bad works or evil works. Good works done by a Christian and good works done by a nonChristian remain good. This passage above, neither the one below, can be used to show that good works is evil or bad:

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. (Matthew 7:21-23 KJV)

Christ is saying here that these peoples works were NOT GOOD as they are workers of iniquity. In addition good works was around way before the time of Christ.

2. There are two kinds of followers of Christ or those 'in Christ'
    - those who are led by the spirit
    - those who are led by the flesh
    as clearly stated here:
    There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    and again:
    And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    and again
    For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
    Clearly not all Christians or those who claim to be such will have the spirit of God in them. Paul is saying it clearly :
    [b]IF [notice the IF] YOU HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD IN YOU THEN YOU WILL LIVE IN RIGHTEOUSNESS AND BE THE SONS OF GOD[b]

It would be nice to hear some comments from anyone who can condense their thoughts and write in clear simple language.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 18:29
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I would like to hear from anyone who has an opinion on this passage below. I suspect that this passage is used by Christians to show that only Christians can please God and all others [ie nonChristians] cannot. By extension only Christians can do good works while nonChristians cannot.

[quote]There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Chri ...[text shortened]... ar some comments from anyone who can condense their thoughts and write in clear simple language.
    To begin with no one not even in all of our exchanges said that good works
    were anything less than good works. By definition a good work is just a
    good work, on the on set I said that! What you are missing is the state
    of the person who is doing them, in the flesh they cannot please God! So it
    does not matter if a 'good work' is being done or not, it will not matter!

Out side of Christ no one will be saved, He is the Way, the Truth, and the
    Life, no matter how hard you want it otherwise it seems.
    Kelly
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 18:59
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    were anything less than good works. By definition a good work is just a
    good work, on the on set I said that! What you are missing is the state
    of the person who is doing them, in the flesh they cannot please God! So it
    does not matter if a 'good work' is being done or not, it wi ...[text shortened]... is the Way, the Truth, and the
    Life, no matter how hard you want it otherwise it seems.
    Kelly
    Who exactly is 'in the flesh'?
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Aug '14 19:12
    were anything less than good works.
    You said good works done in the flesh is meaningless.

What exactly does that mean. You cannot possibly mean that good works is good works if it is meaningless.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 00:331 edit

What exactly does that mean. You cannot possibly mean that good works is good works if it is meaningless.
    Good works do not save. Jesus saves. YAHshua (YAH saves).

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 03:55

A good work is a good work yes, but only Jesus saves.
    Anyone can do a good work, by definition it is simply a work that is good.
    Doing good works does not automatically mean one is right with God!
    The only One that makes us right with God is Jesus Christ!

When we become Christians, we receive God into our lives, we start working
    with God as He lives in us, those are the works that God accepts. As we
    follow His lead, as He puts on our hearts the needs of those He wants us to
    go to for His name sake. After all, it isn't us that brought God into our lives
    He was the One that called us first.

If you do not have God's Spirit in you, if you are not living in the Spirit of
    God there is only one other place you can be, in your own flesh, doing your
    own thing.

As I pointed out to you, that nothing anyone can do to please God in that
    condition! We are to full of sin, even our good works do not please God and
    according to scripture cannot please God. So casting out devils, will carry
    no weight with God, prophesy in His name, preform miracles, will carry no
    weight, it will not please God. As I pointed out to you about Matthew that
    no one called those people liars, no one denied what they did, they fell short
    in the only place that matters, knowing the Lord.

Good works will be done following the Lord, His good works, not the ones
    we pick and choose for ourselves, but the ones He leads us into. They will
    be done for Him Jesus' glory, not to make us feel good, not to make us look
    good, not to 'get us in right with God'! We are to lift up Jesus not ourselves,
    we are give God the glory for our lives, not pat ourselves on our backs as if
    we now earn God's favor! We can never earn God's favor, we were given
    God's grace and mercy, BECAUSE we cannot earn God's favor.

Matthew 7:21-23New International Version (NIV)

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 12:461 edit
    A good work is a good work yes, but only Jesus saves.
    Anyone can do a good work, by definition it is simply a work that is good.
    Doing good works does not automatically mean one is right with God!
    The only One that makes us right with God is Jesus Christ!

When we become Christians, we receive God into our lives, we start working
    with God as He lives ...[text shortened]... any miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!
    So in summary:

Christians are in the Spirit.
    Non Christians are in the flesh

Christians do good works that count
    Non Christians good works do not count.

By the way, that Matt 7 passage you keep quoting does not support your doctrine.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 13:30
    So in summary:

By the way, that Matt 7 passage you keep quoting does not support your doctrine.
    You can explain why Matt 7 doesn't fit, I'd be happy to be corrected.
    With respect to works, how do you read the scriptures I've been quoting?
    You believe God must accept what people do in the flesh outside of God?
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 13:37
    So in summary:

So I know, what do you mean good works that count?
    Kelly
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 16:44
    You can explain why Matt 7 doesn't fit, I'd be happy to be corrected.
    With respect to works, how do you read the scriptures I've been quoting?
    You believe God must accept what people do in the flesh outside of God?
    Kelly
    In the opening post I explained why Matt 7 does not fit your doctrine. I said:

Christ is saying here that these peoples works were NOT GOOD as they are WORKERS OF INIQUITY.

You on the other hand are saying that the peoples works are GOOD but Christ still rejected them.

You are not repeating what the Bible says but adding your little assumption to it.

I will say it again:

THE PEOPLE THINK THEIR WORKS WERE GOOD
    CHRIST DID NOT AGREE AS THEY ARE EVIL WORKERS.

It is NOT as you say ie that their works were GOOD but CHrist still rejected them.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 16:481 edit
    So I know, what do you mean good works that count?
    Kelly
    I think you used the expression 'good works done in the flesh are meaningless'?
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 18:111 edit
    I think you used the expression 'good works done in the flesh are meaningless'?
    I believe the idea is that it is the motive of the heart of the person that God uses to declare the works good or acceptable. God considered the sacrifice of Abel to be more acceptable than Cain's. Jesus considered the penny given by the widow woman greater than thousands of dollars given by some others.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 18:491 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believe the idea is that it is the motive of the heart of the person that God uses to declare the works good or acceptable. God considered the sacrifice of Abel to be more acceptable than Cain's. Jesus considered the penny given by the widow woman greater than thousands of dollars given by some others.
    Ok. I agree. Can you relate that to the issues in the opening post?
    Alternatively what is your take on KJs interpretation of Matt 7.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 19:20
    Ok. I agree. Can you relate that to the issues in the opening post?
    Alternatively what is your take on KJs interpretation of Matt 7.
    I suppose that the ones in Matthew 7 that claimed they were doing wonderful works in the Lord's name considered their works good, however, it appears that the Lord did not agree with them. Maybe this is because the Lord knew the motives of their hearts were not good, even though the works appear wonderful to others.

Just giving a penny does not seem good or wonderful to most compared to somebody who gives a thousand dollars, but Jesus knew her heart and her situation.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Aug '14 19:282 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I suppose that the ones in Matthew 7 that claimed they were doing wonderful works in the Lord's name considered their works good, however, it appears that the Lord did not agree with them. Maybe this is because the Lord knew the motives of their hearts were not good, even though the works appear wonderful to others.

Just giving a penny does not seem go ...[text shortened]... t compared to somebody who gives a thousand dollars, but Jesus knew her heart and her situation.
    Ok so that is my interpretation also. I will repeat it :

The people thought that their works were good, but Christ said they were evil workers [workers of iniquity]. Clearly their works were not good works [for whatever reason]

And I futher agree that good works has nothing to do with volume but with the motive and the heart and mind of the Christian.

So what do you make of KJs claim that their works were good works but it is because they did not have a personal relationship with Christ, that Christ rejected their good works?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree