1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 10:443 edits
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/world/europe/in-russia-a-watch-vanishes-up-orthodox-leaders-sleeve.html

Then tries to cover it up with photoshopping it off his arm. If you wondered where church money goes......

I wonder how much food that would buy for starving people around the world?

I thought I was extravagant paying $50 for a casio G force radio controlled watch....

I'll bet mine is even way more accurate.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 11:12
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/world/europe/in-russia-a-watch-vanishes-up-orthodox-leaders-sleeve.html

Then tries to cover it up with photoshopping it off his arm. If you wondered where church money goes......

I thought I was extravagant paying $50 for a casio G force radio controlled watch....

Why would anyone want a 'radio controlled' watch? Sounds like a kids toy.

As for the Pope's watch - leader of organised religion creams it - where's the news?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 11:19
    Why do you make that comparison? Do you think it is his responsibility to feed starving people? Or do you think he claims that he should (and is thus a hypocrite)?
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 11:291 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why do you make that comparison? Do you think it is his responsibility to feed starving people? Or do you think he claims that he should (and is thus a hypocrite)?
    Mark 10:21-22

'Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me." When he heard this, he was shocked and went away grieving, for he had many possessions.'

A high up member of the Russian church with a $30,000 watch sort of makes a mockery of the above scripture.
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 11:35

it is disgusting, its worse when it is a man of god showing such horrible moral and materialistic values but i would also point the finger at all people who waste vast sums of money on silly things. all the super rich who collect money, more than they need just for the ego boost of seeing how wealthy they are. i dont know how they can sleep at night. then again i guess we all waste money on stuff we dont need, where the line is, is a hazy thing.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 12:34

Conspicuous prosperity & consumption.
    Prosperity Gospel and lovers of worldly goods
    Lovers of Money
    Lovers of fame and fortune in this world.

They are all features of worldly greedy modern Christianity. Those who follow such practices will all receive their just rewards when Christ returns .. damnation.
    Those who live that life are as foolish as the Once Saved Always Saved gang and those who speak evil of good works or doers of good works.

Luke 6:24 But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 14:13
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why would anyone want a 'radio controlled' watch? Sounds like a kids toy.

As for the Pope's watch - leader of organised religion creams it - where's the news?
    Radio controlled means it has a receiver built in tuned to 60 kilohertz, way lower than the AM broadcast band which is where WWVB broadcasts atomic sync signals that updates the time on any updatable clock tuned to that frequency so your watch is sync'd to an atomic standard in Fort Collins Colorado.

So you find nothing wrong with a high up official of a church wearing a watch more expensive than my car?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 14:561 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    A high up member of the Russian church with a $30,000 watch sort of makes a mockery of the above scripture.
    Surely the scripture was addressed to all Christians? Would a low down member of the same Church not also make a mockery of the same scripture? I think you will find that a fairly high percentage of the people who buy $30,000 watches are Christian. Do you equally criticize them?

Surely nearly every Christian past or present makes a mockery of that scripture? How many can you name that don't? A few monks or nuns here and there?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 15:01
    Radio controlled means it has a receiver built in tuned to 60 kilohertz, way lower than the AM broadcast band which is where WWVB broadcasts atomic sync signals that updates the time on any updatable clock tuned to that frequency so your watch is sync'd to an atomic standard in Fort Collins Colorado.

So you find nothing wrong with a high up official of a church wearing a watch more expensive than my car?
    Your car would feed many people for a long time. Wealth is relative. My question to you, is why you see a Church official as morally wrong, whereas you see nothing wrong with owning a car yourself.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 15:03
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Conspicuous prosperity & consumption.
    I thought they tried to make it less conspicuous by Photoshoping it out.
    Why is it wrong to be conspicuous? Why is hording your wealth secretly morally preferable?

Have you given all your worldly goods to the poor?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 15:05
    Your car would feed many people for a long time. Wealth is relative. My question to you, is why you see a Church official as morally wrong, whereas you see nothing wrong with owning a car yourself.
    Let him who is without Datsun, cast the first stone.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 15:21
    Surely the scripture was addressed to all Christians? Would a low down member of the same Church not also make a mockery of the same scripture? I think you will find that a fairly high percentage of the people who buy $30,000 watches are Christian. Do you equally criticize them?

Surely nearly every Christian past or present makes a mockery of that scripture? How many can you name that don't? A few monks or nuns here and there?
    Any Christian wearing a $30,000 watch, in my opinion, would be in direct opposition to the piece of scripture quoted. I would criticise them also, but the OP is about Patriarch Kirill I.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 16:09
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Any Christian wearing a $30,000 watch, in my opinion, would be in direct opposition to the piece of scripture quoted. I would criticise them also, but the OP is about Patriarch Kirill I.
    What about a $10 watch?
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 16:18
    What about a $10 watch?
    What about it?
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Apr '12 16:21

A defender of Catholic priests now?

There are different guidelines for leaders because they need to set an example..

Titus 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre ..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree