Russian orthodox pope wears $30,000 watch:

Russian orthodox pope wears $30,000 watch:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by divegeester
He should not have it. If it was a 'gift' he should either refuse it, or pay it into church funds.
If you read the entire article you will see that the writer of the article states
that records show that the Patriarch did receive a watch like that as a gift.
But the patriarch never wore it. But even if he wore it every day I see nothing
wrong with it. I believe Jesus would agree with me since He rebuked his
disciples for wanting to sell the expensive bottle of perfume that a woman was
using to put on His feet. He thought she was doing a good thing for Him.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by Conrau K
I don't deny that the watch was photoshopped out (seriously, I don't know how you could think that.) Let me reiterate my points again (it is quite obvious you are not really following). Maybe numbering will appeal to the non-verbal part of your brain.

1. We do not know how the Patriarch is paid. There is absolutely no 'tithe'. Strictly speaking he is no ...[text shortened]... most people actually, did not have much money to spare. I no longer identify as Catholic.
I am following your posts and your points. Your snide digs at my comprehension don't give you or your argument, which amounts to nothing more than a series of excuses, any credibility.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by RJHinds
If you read the entire article you will see that the writer of the article states
that records show that the Patriarch did receive a watch like that as a gift.
But the patriarch never wore it. But even if he wore it every day I see nothing
wrong with it. I believe Jesus would agree with me since He rebuked his
disciples for wanting to sell the expensiv ...[text shortened]... fume that a woman was
using to put on His feet. He thought she was doing a good thing for Him.
You thinking that Jesus/God would agree with you, will be of no surprise to anyone in this forum.

Jesus said we are to give to the poor. I'm not saying all Christians should give everything away, it's a question or degree, reasonableness and conscience; being given a $30,000 watch and keeping it when you head up a church which is funded by the laity and professes to give to the poor is unacceptable.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12
1 edit

I don't deny that the watch was photoshopped out (seriously, I don't know how you could think that.) Let me reiterate my points again (it is quite obvious you are not really following). Maybe numbering will appeal to the non-verbal part of your brain.

1. We do not know how the Patriarch is paid. There is absolutely no 'tithe'. Strictly speaking he is no most people actually, did not have much money to spare. I no longer identify as Catholic.
I think these complaining people are just envious and jealous.

P.S. I bet divegeester would sell the watch, but I doubt that he would give all
the money to the poor. He is probably like Judas.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12

I think these complaining people are just envious and jealous.
Good grief.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
09 Apr 12

But it needn't be a case of duplicity.
"The church apologized for the deception on Thursday and restored the original photo to the site, but not before Patriarch Kirill weighed in, insisting in an interview with a Russian journalist that he had never worn the watch, and that any photos showing him wearing it must have been doctored to put the watch on his wrist [my emphasis]."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 12

I am following your posts and your points. Your snide digs at my comprehension don't give you or your argument, which amounts to nothing more than a series of excuses, any credibility.
I can only assume that there is some comprehension failure on your part. I have already acknowledged that the watch was doctored out and I had already pointed out that the Russian Orthodox Church does not tithe and laity probably do not contribute to the patriarch's stipend. But you are arguing as though I had written none of this. Basically I think you are a mean-spirited ignoramus and while coming to harsh character judgments, you have absolutely no interest in informing yourself.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12

I bet divegeester would sell the watch, but I doubt that he would give all the money to the poor. He is probably like Judas.
So speaks the forum's 'Mr Integrity'.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by Green Paladin
"The church apologized for the deception on Thursday and restored the original photo to the site, [b]but not before Patriarch Kirill weighed in, insisting in an interview with a Russian journalist that he had never worn the watch, and that any photos showing him wearing it must have been doctored to put the watch on his wrist [my emphasis]."[/b]
Perhaps someone did doctor the orignal photo, but even it was not doctored.
It should be nobodies business as to if he wore the watch or not. Get the
plank out of your own eye first so you can see clearly.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12

I can only assume that there is some comprehension failure on your part. I have already acknowledged that the watch was doctored out and I had already pointed out that the Russian Orthodox Church does not tithe and laity probably do not contribute to the patriarch's stipend. But you are arguing as though I had written none of this. Basically I think you are ...[text shortened]... ile coming to harsh character judgments, you have absolutely no interest in informing yourself.
I do wish to be informed, I just wouldn't rely on you as a reliable source of fact based information in this scenario. Clear now?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by Green Paladin
"The church apologized for the deception on Thursday and restored the original photo to the site, [b]but not before Patriarch Kirill weighed in, insisting in an interview with a Russian journalist that he had never worn the watch, and that any photos showing him wearing it must have been doctored to put the watch on his wrist [my emphasis]."[/b]
I don't see how this relates to anything I have said so far. I did read the article carefully but I do not see Patriarch Kiril''s error having any relevance.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
09 Apr 12

Get the plank out of your own eye first so you can see clearly.
Being a chess engine expert yourself, you surely meant Planck

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 12
2 edits

I do wish to be informed, I just wouldn't rely on you as a reliable source of fact based information in this scenario. Clear now?
No; you are confused. It is your responsibility to find facts and I certainly had no intention of doing your job. I have so far only presented questions: Was the watch a gift? Was he aware of the value of the watch? Where does he derive his stipend from? I would also like to know, is the patriarch allowed to give away gifts freely? Normally, heads of state cannot and it would be pertinent to know whether the synod of Russian Orthodox bishops imposes similar strictures. If you are going to be in the business of judging, you must answer these questions.

As far as facts go, I will say that image-doctoring is a standard practice so that prominent people are not associated with brands.

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
09 Apr 12

I don't see how this relates to anything I have said so far. I did read the article carefully but I do not see Patriarch Kiril''s error having any relevance.
Why don't you just acknowledge that the Patriarch flat out lied rather than the euphemistic 'error'?

His "error" shows the character of the person we're dealing with here.

T

Moves
09 Apr 12

No; you are confused. It is your responsibility to find facts and I certainly had no intention of doing your job. I have so far only presented questions: Was the watch a gift? Was he aware of the value of the watch? Where does he derive his stipend from? I would also like to know, is the patriarch allowed to give away gifts freely? Normally, heads of ...[text shortened]... image-doctoring is a standard practice so that prominent people are not associated with brands.
lol. You never know when to give up. Perhaps you should read what GP posted again:

""The church apologized for the deception on Thursday and restored the original photo to the site, but not before Patriarch Kirill weighed in, insisting in an interview with a Russian journalist that he had never worn the watch, and that any photos showing him wearing it must have been doctored to put the watch on his wrist".

Read it and really think about it.