Sacred Name Movement

Sacred Name Movement

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
You keep talking about "America". What does "America" have to do with Indonesian Christians? What does "America English" have to do with the languages spoken by Indonesian Christians?
You know what? Screw it. You win.

Have a nice day.

I would appreciate it, if next time you don't want to discuss something with me, just tell me to %#@& off, okay?

F

Moves
20 Dec 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Why on God's green earth would Christians in INDONESIA use the ARABIC word for God?
Why do Americans use a Proto-Germanic or Proto-Indo-European word for "God"?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
20 Dec 11

*sigh*

No. (Amazed I have to spell this out, frankly.)

I am an American. My main exposure to Christians is Christians in America. Christians in America never use the word Allah (which is ARABIC) for God. Why on God's green earth would Christians in INDONESIA use the ARABIC word for God?

Now can you possibly answer ANY of the questions I've aske ...[text shortened]... tional language of Indonesia, then that one simple statement would have answered my questions!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah#Christianity

F

Moves
20 Dec 11

You know what? Screw it. You win.
Well, to be honest, it's a bit difficult talking to you about what happens on - literally - the other side of the world when your only terms of reference seem to be what "Americans" do and don't do and what the "English" word is for something. It's a pity you decided to turn nasty. I have always respected you.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
Well, to be honest, it's a bit difficult talking to you about what happens on - literally - the other side of the world when your only terms of reference seem to be what "Americans" do and don't do and what the "English" word is for something. It's a pity you decided to turn nasty. I have always respected you.
YOUR FOCUS IS ON MY NATIONALITY.

THAT'S NOT WHAT I AM ASKING ABOUT.

The caps are my frustration that you choose to portray yourself as stupid. The one thing I never thought you were is stupid.

As I said, if you don't want to answer my questions, then give me the miniscule measure of respect required to say so. Instead of wasting my time for almost an hour now. Don't want to answer anything I ask? THEN JUST SAY SO.

F

Moves
20 Dec 11

YOUR FOCUS IS ON MY NATIONALITY.
What does the fact that Christians with U.S. nationality never use the word "Allah" for "God" have to do with non-English speaking, non-American Indonesian Christians?

F

Moves
20 Dec 11
1 edit

I would appreciate it, if next time you don't want to discuss something with me, just tell me
Me stupid? I have simply told you what words Indonesian Christians use for "God". I'm sorry that this has made you angry and hostile.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
What does the fact that Christians with U.S. nationality never use the word "Allah" for "God" have to do with non-English speaking, non-American Indonesian Christians?
Well, genius, instead of focusing on the fact that I am American and that I speak English, you could have said one, tiny little fact to me like "Well Suzianne, the fact is that Allah is not only the Arabic word for God, but it is the word for God in the Malaysian language as well as the Indonesian language."

But no. Because saying something as simple as that would have answered all my questions. Can't have that, can you?

As it was, I simply followed the link PK put in his post to find that tidbit. But you could not get off your "WTF does America have to do with it?" kick to just answer my question. Yeah, you respected me. Right. Sure. Not enough to just answer my flipping question though.

As I said before, have a nice day.

F

Moves
20 Dec 11

Well, genius, instead of focusing on the fact that I am American and that I speak English, you could have said one, tiny little fact to me like "Well Suzianne, the fact is that Allah is not only the Arabic word for God, but it is the word for God in the Malaysian language as well as the Indonesian language."
You brought up the fact that you are American, not me. As for you wanting to know what the word for "God" is in the Indonesian language, well, my first post - to which you responded - was: "Christians here in Indonesia use the names "Tuhan", "Allah" and "Yaweh".

F

Moves
20 Dec 11

As it was, I simply followed the link PK put in his post to find that tidbit. But you could not get off your "WTF does America have to do with it?" kick to just answer my question.
It was you - not me - who said that American Christians don't use the word "Allah" for "God". I merely asked you what that had to do with non-English speaking, non-American Indonesian Christians?

M

Moves
20 Dec 11
1 edit

I guess the issue here is - why would anyone (wherever in the world they may live) who is not speaking Arabic use the Arabic name for God?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
20 Dec 11

But no. Because saying something as simple ...[text shortened]... ot enough to just answer my flipping question though.

As I said before, have a nice day.
I have already determined this guy is a fruitcake. Now you know it too.

F

Moves
21 Dec 11

Originally posted by Melanerpes
I guess the issue here is - why would anyone (wherever in the world they may live) who is not speaking Arabic use the Arabic name for God?
You're an English speaker, I take it. Presumably you know that the English you speak has been influenced and modified by contact with a whole range of cultures, languages and historical events? Is this a process that you assume hasn't happened with any other language?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
You're an English speaker, I take it. Presumably you know that the English you speak has been influenced and modified by contact with a whole range of cultures, languages and historical events? Is this a process that you assume hasn't happened with any other language?
Feliz Navidad

rc

Moves
21 Dec 11
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I remember reading that there was some concern expressed by Muslims that
Christians should be permitted to use the term, 'Allah', for the God of the Bible, and it
strikes me as somewhat peculiar that they should want to do so, for Allah is, in my
mind, essentially a Muslim deity, a Pakistani Christian in contrast would never refer to
God as 'Allah', simply because it has Islamic connotations.