1. Et in Arcadia ego...
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 16:05
    An interesting point.

I'm playing a game with my mate Moldy, and I ask him about his message under his handle, which read at the time that his location was:

"pissing on bibles".

I asked Moldy what this was about, and he informed me this was an adverse reaction to some posters whom he considered as categorising him, and posters similar, as anti-religious.

So I set Moldy a challenge, and asked if he wouldn't wouldn't consider changing it to "pissing on the Talmud" or "pissing of the Koran" for a week.

He replied he wouldn't touch that with a barge-pole.

So- and I stress, this post is in no way meant as a criticism of my chess buddy Moldy- what does this indicate to me?

Well, I might conclude that it is acceptable in Western secular societies to criticise, or be offensive towards the Christian religion, but in no way is this acceptable of the other monotheistic religions, as this would be controversial, and un-P.C..

I might draw a couple of other, stronger conclusions, but I would appreciate the imput from all others.

(Moldy knows I'm posting this discussion, so he might want to put forward his ideas too)
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 16:10
    Originally posted by sjeg

Well, I might conclude that it is acceptable in Western secular societies to criticise, or be offensive towards the Christian religion, but in no way is this acceptable of the other monotheistic religions, as this would be controversial, and un-P.C..
    It's sad but true. Jews and Muslims are allowed special treatment due to their minority status that Christians are not entitled to.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 16:36
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    It's sad but true. Jews and Muslims are allowed special treatment due to their minority status that Christians are not entitled to.
    Are there any Jewish or Muslim people on the site who would welcome some goading of their faith?
  4. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 19:163 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Are there any Jewish or Muslim people on the site who would welcome some goading of their faith?
    You hit pretty close to home , kirks . I later countered to jseg that I am responding to what's posted and put forward in the spirituality forum . The religious agruements , goading , taunting ,and debates here are predominantly about christianity . I can only fight the dog they put in the ring with me . But if we had radical chess playing muslim clerics posting in here , or militant rabbis (rabies ? -Hahaha , I just kill me sometimes !) , or fundamentalist right wing budhists I'd probably be tweeking them just as much .

EDIT - As I recall , on a few occassions I did call out or insult the amish . I had little response so have stuck to mainstream xtians since .
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 19:54
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    You hit pretty close to home , kirks . I later countered to jseg that I am responding to what's posted and put forward in the spirituality forum . The religious agruements , goading , taunting ,and debates here are predominantly about christianity . I can only fight the dog they put in the ring with me . But if we had radical chess playing muslim clerics ...[text shortened]... call out or insult the amish . I had little response so have stuck to mainstream xtians since .
    I am hoping that Vistead will return soon a I always appreciate his take on this stuff. I am not often singled out for religious taunts or goading though I think many on the site know I am a reverend. I was challenged by a Jewsih player at one time who said that only Jews could make jokes about other Jews. But when I asked if he would be willing to show Christians the same courtesy I don't remember receiving a response. He tended to be pretty angry at Christians and I understood some of his anger.

There is the idea that the fool/jester (the goader) tends to keep the puffed up grounded in reality. While others tend to make a lot of degrading remarks, I have found I get more success is just asking the most simple question. For example. after a tirade about those not knowing Jesus going to hell and languishing for all eternity, I might ask if this person would go see a Jewish doctor. To me, it would seem that if I had such negative feelings about someone or some race of people I might want to avoid them.
  6. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:232 edits
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=goad&x=17&y=14

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

2 entries found for goad.
    To select an entry, click on it.
    goad[1,noun]goad[2,transitive verb]

Main Entry: 1goad
    Pronunciation: 'gOd
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English gode, from Old English gAd spear, goad; akin to Langobardic gaida spear, and perhaps to Sanskrit hinoti he urges on
    1 a : something that pricks like a goad : THORN b : something that urges or stimulates into action : SPUR
    2 : a pointed rod used to urge on an animal
    synonym see MOTIVE

"Pissing on the Bible/Thora/Talmud/Qur'an " is looked upon by you as "goading", Rev Kirk ?

C'mon, it is simply what it is. It is a deliberate and deliberately provoking vulgar insult. Nothing more and nothing less.

These insults and provocations do not deserve a place on a site that wants to be a chess community.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:31
    Originally posted by ivanhoe

Etymology: Middle English gode, from Old English gAd spear, goad; akin to Langobard ...[text shortened]... se insults and provocations do not deserve a place on a site that wants to be a chess community.
    ...something that pricks like a goad...something that urges or stimulates into action...deliberately provoking vulgar insult

Sounds like a goad to me!

The Christians are often obnoxious in a way that Jews and Muslims are generally not. As Moldy says, he only fights the dog that's put in the ring with him.
  8. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You are constantly reasoning from an American point of view and taking the American situation as some sort of standard. We all live in the global village now and not everywhere Christians have a majority. In the Netherlands for instance (a former Christian country, now a secular liberal one) this is not the case. Please, broaden your horizon.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    [b]...something that pricks like a goad...something that urges or stimulates into action...deliberately provoking vulgar insult

Sounds like a goad to me!

The Christians are often obnoxious in a way that Jews and Muslims are generally not. As Moldy says, he only fights the dog that's put in the ring with him.[/b]
    It is time you also realise the world is becoming a global village. Wake up to reality !
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:43
    It is time you also realise the world is becoming a global village. Wake up to reality !
    Believe me, there are plenty of people out there in the "global village" who don't give a rat's ass about PCness or Christians but will happily mock and insult Jews and Muslims.

Wake up to the reality of the global village!
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:48

Etymology: Middle English gode, from Old English gAd spear, goad; akin to Langobard ...[text shortened]... se insults and provocations do not deserve a place on a site that wants to be a chess community.
    I think you meant to ask Moldy Crow the question and not me.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:501 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Believe me, there are plenty of people out there in the "global village" who don't give a rat's ass about PCness or Christians but will happily mock and insult Jews and Muslims.

Wake up to the reality of the global village!
    ATY: " ... but will happily mock and insult Jews ... "

There is a name for people who will happily mock and insult Jews.

ATY: " ... and Muslims"

I know, but you do not want to be associated with such people either ..... I hope.
  13. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:51
    I think you meant to ask Moldy Crow the question and not me.
    No, I'm asking you.
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:52
    You are constantly reasoning from an American point of view and taking the American situation as some sort of standard. We all live in the global village now and not everywhere Christians have a majority. In the Netherlands for instance (a former Christian country, now a secular liberal one) this is not the case. Please, broaden your horizon.
    But isn't he making a case for what you say all the time?
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    01 Oct '05 20:55
    But isn't he making a case for what you say all the time?
    I was asking you, Kirk .... simple as can be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree