Secular society, and derision of religion

Secular society, and derision of religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
[b]ATY: " ... but will happily mock and insult Jews ... "

There is a name for people who will happily mock and insult Jews.

ATY: " ... and Muslims"

I know, but you do not want to be associated with such people either ..... I hope.[/b]
If it's in the spirit Crow exhibited, I'd have no problem associating with such people.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Oct 05
1 edit

You are constantly reasoning from an American point of view and taking the American situation as some sort of standard. We all live in the global village now and not everywhere Christians have a majority. In the Netherlands for instance (a former Christian country, now a secular liberal one) this is not the case. Please, broaden your horizon.
The topic pertains to "Western secular societies." I know of no Western secular society in which Christians are a minority and Jews and Muslims are not. Thus, I stand by my claim that Jews and Muslims are in practice the beneficiaries of special treatment due to their minority status, and Christians are not.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Moldy Crow
You hit pretty close to home , kirks . I later countered to jseg that I am responding to what's posted and put forward in the spirituality forum . The religious agruements , goading , taunting ,and debates here are predominantly about christianity . I can only fight the dog they put in the ring with me . But if we had radical chess playing muslim clerics ...[text shortened]... call out or insult the amish . I had little response so have stuck to mainstream xtians since .
An upside-down-bird has to be careful both ways with pissing or peeing ..... know what I'm sayin'?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
The topic pertains to "Western secular societies." I know of no Western secular society in which Christians are a minority and Jews and Muslims are not. Thus, I stand by my claim that Jews and Muslims are in practice the beneficiaries of special treatment due to their minority status, and Christians are not.
Muslims are the beneficiaries of special treatment ? They sure are in the Netherlands and France, Dear doctor ! Next time instead of a trip to the Galapagos I advise you to pay a visit to the Dutch and French Muslims, just to start with ......

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
01 Oct 05

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Oct 05

Muslims are the beneficiaries of special treatment ?
They are in the U.S.

For example, courtrooms in the U.S. do no allow men to wear hats.

Jews, however, are allowed to wear yamakas as a form of religious expression. I don't know if Muslims wear funny hats as well, but if they do, I imagine they are allowed in court.

A Christian, however, who wants to wear a baseball cap that says "Jesus Saves!" is not allowed to wear that hat in court.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
01 Oct 05

They are in the U.S.

For example, courtrooms in the U.S. do no allow men to wear hats.

Jews, however, are allowed to wear yamakas as a form of religious expression. I don't know if Muslims wear funny hats as well, but if they do, I imagine they are allowed in court.

A Christian, however, who wants to wear a baseball cap that says "Jesus Saves!" is not allowed to wear that hat in court.
However , Herr Doctor , the city of Detroit just won the right to require muslim women to remove their face veils for driver's liscence photos . So to take one case and apply it accross the board as a characterization of public policy would be inaccurate . The US laws are quite pyscizto in this regard .

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
01 Oct 05

However , Herr Doctor , the city of Detroit just won the right to require muslim women to remove their face veils for driver's liscence photos . So to take one case and apply it accross the board as a characterization of public policy would be inaccurate . The US laws are quite pyscizto in this regard .
Let's check back on that one in a year and see if it doesn't get overturned.

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
01 Oct 05

Let's check back on that one in a year and see if it doesn't get overturned.
Fair enough .

Your Eminence

Scunthorpe

Moves
01 Oct 05

An upside-down-bird has to be careful both ways with pissing or peeing ..... know what I'm sayin'?
No , what are you saying ? What must I be careful about ? You ? Why don't you come right out and say whatever's in your pretty little head .

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
01 Oct 05

No, I'm asking you.
I consider goading to be a verbal exercise.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Oct 05
1 edit

So what is it I'm supposed to wake up to ?
Dear Mister Crow,

Please take good notice of to whom I address my posts. The wake-up call was not directed at you.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
01 Oct 05

Let's try an experiement. Which statement received more criticism for racial insensitivity? Jesse Jackson likening the evacuation of New Orleans to herding blacks on the slave ships or Bill Bennett suggesting that the crime rate would be lower if more black babies were aborted (though it would be reprehensible).

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
01 Oct 05

Originally posted by kirksey957
I consider goading to be a verbal exercise.
... and does that verbal exercise include insults and verbal abuse ?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
01 Oct 05

... and does that verbal exercise include insults and verbal abuse ?
This conversation would not be occuring if not for the difference in perceptions of what you mean by insults and verbal abuse. Or for that matter what I consider insults or verbal abuse.