1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 13:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Those Christians who take the entire Bible literally should read this post.
    As should those who think it is ALL analogy.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 13:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As should those who think it is ALL analogy.
    I don't know any Christians who think the Bible is all analogy, do you?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 14:36
    Originally posted by divegeester to Suzianne
    Leave her be. It's probably just something she blurted out without a moment's thought. 😉
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 20:16
    I don't know of any Christains that take it all literally either. 😏
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '15 21:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't know of any Christains that take it all literally either. 😏
    Which parts don't you personally take literally?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 02:591 edit
    Which parts don't you personally take literally?
    I don't have the patience to answer your stupid questions. 😏
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 07:22
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't have the patience to answer your stupid questions. 😏
    That's just a dodge isn't it.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about certain aspects of the literal content of the Bible; you for one have vehemently defended the literal interpretation of Hell and eternal suffering. But here you are saying that you don't know of any Christians who take the entire Bible literally.

So which parts of the Bible don't you personally take literally and which part of the Bible do you think are those most commonly accepted being analogous by all the Christians you know personally?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 09:12
    That's just a dodge isn't it.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about certain aspects of the literal content of the Bible; you for one have vehemently defended the literal interpretation of Hell and eternal suffering. But here you are saying that you don't know of any Christians who take the entire Bible literally.

So which parts o ...[text shortened]... hink are those most commonly accepted being analogous by all the Christians you know personally?
    getting smacked down by R J Hinds, the shame of it, its been a rough ride for you in the forums these last few days, I was beginning to feel sorry for you but it didn't last long.😵
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 17:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    getting smacked down by R J Hinds, the shame of it, its been a rough ride for you in the forums these last few days, I was beginning to feel sorry for you but it didn't last long.😵
    What are you talking about?
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 20:21
    Originally posted by vistesd
    NRS John 17:12 While I was with them, I kept those you had given me true to your name. I have watched over them and not one is lost [b]except one who was destined to be lost, and this was to fulfil the scriptures.

YLT John 17:12 when I was with them in the world, I was keeping them in Thy name; those whom Thou hast given to me I did guard, [ ...[text shortened]... s” to love. Not in my own mind, anyway. I either need to get back there, or I need to shut up.
    Thanks for that long post. I cannot answer respond to all of it and would not even try to. Neverthless I appreciate your well thought out points and some certainly worth further contemplation on my part.

I can see that there are some similarities in what we believe even though we have arrived there from different directions. Most important of which is how critical love and charity is in the whole scheme of things. Its basically all that Jesus preached about. If I had to guess, your focus on love/charity and all that goes with it .. that alone makes you closer to God and to the teachings of Christ than all the rantings of some of the Christians around here that preach this OSAS doctrine.

Let me try to respond to this you said :

Well, “those like him” I guess would be anyone who committed a wrong that hurt someone else, actively repented and tried to undo the wrong, relinquished all profit from the wrong, and was filled with grief/remorse for the wrong. That would certainly include me. So, if none of that allows for healing/forgiveness (being set free), then there would be no sense me worrying about it—or trying to do any better. What’s done is done. Okay.

Christ is the judge and he will decide who deserves forgiveness. Not all that beg for forgiveness will receive it. Here is an example of Esau:

Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.(Heb 12:16-17)

He found no place of repentance. There are times when God turns his back on someone and after that there is no hope. I certainly would not apply that to you or anyone I know for that matter. Hope is not lost as long as there is life. We cannot know the whole story behind Esau or Judas, but for Christ to call Judas the son of perdition is really am irrevocable condemnation for me. The son of perdition is the highest pinnacle of evil ..

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. (2Th 2:3-4)

There some other interesting points you made which I will have to ponder before I respond .. 🙂
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 20:21
    What are you talking about?
    Im talkin about Hinds talkin smack to you, are you gonna just take it?
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 20:47
    the leopard will lie down with the goat

But the goat wont get much sleep
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 21:06
    I have no problem with figures of speech in the Bible—or metaphor or myth, for that matter. As you note (and I think I mentioned somewhere) we use similar figures of speech today.

The question is really twofold: Biblical literalism, per se (stopping the sun in the sky); and the nature of Biblical inspiration. If the Biblical texts represent the “word ...[text shortened]... th all due respect and acknowledgement of Rajk’s critique of OSAS Christianity—is where I stand.
    I am in the third camp.
    Your tent is on fire.

Do I mean that in a lyrical sense: am I speaking of a stirring in my loins inspired by the fabric of your, um, inner beauty?
    The mind blossoms in the considerations of endless iterations.

Or do I mean it in a quasi-poetical, semi-allegorical sense: your protection is at risk?

Either way, I mean it.
    But HOW do I mean it?

When we relegate Scripture to that third camp, every door we find opening is accompanied with the sound of just as many more closing behind us.

For instance, you used the example of the "stopping of the sun in the sky" as though something other--- something more informed minds 'now know' as being impossible.
    Yet the person who accepts the sun stopping in the sky accepts this as a possibility on the basis of his confidence in someone smarter than him, someone with more knowledge than he possesses.

According to the third camp, the connection between the fact of the sun stopping in the sky is severed, lost.
    What happens to those in the camp when they find out the sun actually stopped in the sky, the earth being the center of the universe around which the whole spectacle revolves?

Sometimes poetry leads us astray.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 21:273 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    [b]I am in the third camp.
    Your tent is on fire.

Do I mean that in a lyrical sense: am I speaking of a stirring in my loins inspired by the fabric of your, um, inner beauty?
    The mind blossoms in the considerations of endless iterations.

Or do I mean it in a quasi-poetical, semi-allegorical sense: your protection is at risk?

Either way, I mea ...[text shortened]... of the universe around which the whole spectacle revolves?

Sometimes poetry leads us astray.[/b]
    You miss the point. If the sun actually stopped, how would that make the day (daylight) last any longer? As far as I know, the length of an earth day is determined by the rotation of the earth. Do you dispute that was the case in the time of Joshua?

EDIT:

What happens to those in the camp when they find out the sun actually stopped in the sky, the earth being the center of the universe around which the whole spectacle revolves?

You do realize that this is precisely a poetic (metaphorical) statement, yes? That the earth may be the metaphorical center, re the “spectacle”—but is not the actual, literal center? And that the sun then only “metaphorically” orbits the earth?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Sep '15 21:311 edit
    You miss the point. If the sun actually stopped, how would that make the day (daylight) last any longer? As far as I know, the length of an earth day is determined by the rotation of the earth. Do you dispute that was the case in the time of Joshua?
    perhaps it was an optical illusion. Surely God could create the illusion that the sun stood still?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree