1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 05:41
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you, like Grampy Bobby, believe that there is a literal cavern with 4 compartments inside the centre of the earth?
    I don't know. I have never heard that before and I don't recall reading about it is scripture. However, it could be possible. I don't recall anything in scripture that would defintely rule out that possibility.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 06:04
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Insight into Acts 2:27

“…because you will not abandon my soul to the grave…”

The Greek word translated “grave” is hadฤ“s. Hades was the Greek word used to represent the Hebrew word sheol, which was the state of being dead. When the Hebrew Old Testament was translated into Greek around 250 BC, the Hebrew word sheol was translated by the Greek word ha ...[text shortened]... ad forever. The soul does not live on after the body dies. When the body dies, the soul is dead.
    The Jehovah's Witnesses say that too. However, how would you explain the following statements from Jesus?
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

(Matthew 10:28 NASB)

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!

(Luke 12:4-5 NASB)

The apostle Paul also makes a statement about his belief about being absent from the body and present with the Lord. This seems to imply that he believes that when he dies that his soul will depart his body and go to be with the Lord.
  3. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 06:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does the sun orbit the earth, Grampy Bobby?
    And KJ and RJH, and maybe a few others...
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 11:03
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I don't know. I have never heard that before and I don't recall reading about it is scripture. However, it could be possible. I don't recall anything in scripture that would defintely rule out that possibility.
    How about a rudimentary knowledge of earth's geology combined with a smidgen of common sense?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 11:06
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I think it was checkbaiter who recently mentioned “figures of speech” (I owe him an attribution anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). Biblical literalism would require that the sun orbit the earth—rather than the rotation of the earth determining the length of a day—

Joshua 10:12 On the day when the LORD gave the Amorites over to the Israelites, Joshua spoke to the LORD; and ...[text shortened]... he Book of Jashar? The sun stopped in midheaven, and did not hurry to set for about a whole day.
    Assuming that the sun did actually appear to stop in the sky, it would only appear to stop in the sky, so the account could be an accurate representation of what was observed.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 11:07
    Grampy Bobby are you going to return to this thread to address comments and questions raised by your interesting declaration that you believe there is a cavern which is Sheol at the center of the earth?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 13:36
    I used to work with a guy who believed hell was at the center of the earth.
    When he told me, I was dumb struck. I just looked at him and said "really?".
    He then proceeded to tell me of a mining expedition and how it was shut down because the deeper they got into the earth, many thought they heard screams of agony.
    Of course, he couldn't tell me where ...[text shortened]... rd this or read it.

But just think, if we dig deep enough, we can rescue those poor souls! ๐Ÿ™„
    It would be a fascinating experiment; to mine in the direction of Sheol. Of course we don't have much to go on, but that doesn't seem to stop people believing there is actually a real cavern down there somewhere.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 13:511 edit
    The Jehovah's Witnesses say that too. However, how would you explain the following statements from Jesus?
    "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

(Matthew 10:28 NASB)

[quote] "I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who ki ...[text shortened]... hat he believes that when he dies that his soul will depart his body and go to be with the Lord.
    The Greek word translated “destroy” is apollumi (#622
    แผ€πฯŒλλυµι. Apollumi means “to cause or experience destruction” (BDAG). The concept
    of “burning forever in hell” came into Christianity from the Greeks (and Jews like the
    Pharisees who were influenced by Greek teaching going back to the time of Alexander
    the Great who conquered Palestine in 333 BC). The Greeks believed in an “immortal
    soul.” The phrase “immortal soul” is not in the Bible. Once we understand the soul is not
    eternal, it does not have to “go” to heaven or hell when a person dies. Eternal torment is
    not the teaching of Scripture. John 3:16, and many other verses, teach the simple truth
    that each person will either live forever or be destroyed, annihilated.
  9. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 14:15
    Good one, I laughed.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 14:41
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Good one, I laughed.
    Don't laugh. We have a number of posters including Grampy Bobby, who on page 1, declared that he believed that there is a literal cavern underground somewhere, within which are the 4 compartments of Sheol.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 14:431 edit
    That's not a very strong line of reasoning. There are many absurdities that it could be argued scripture doesn't rule out the possibility of. You have also never heard of the following, but by your own reasoning they are also possible because scripture doesn't definitely rule them out:

1. A secret tribe of small courgette people. (Let's call them the Zucchinis) who will one day rise up from the caves to steal the worlds supply of satsumas.
    2. A man who will one day swallow his own head.
    3. in the summer of 2016 lime green pantaloons will become a fashion must have and it we be a criminal offence to go out in public without a satin cravat.
    4. Etc etc.

Scripture shouldn't be your benchmark for what is possible. Your brain should do that.
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 15:07
    Don't laugh. We have a number of posters including Grampy Bobby, who on page 1, declared that he believed that there is a literal cavern underground somewhere, within which are the 4 compartments of Sheol.
    Oh. That is... hang on, can't type... laughing... can't breathe...
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 15:09
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    That's not a very strong line of reasoning. There are many absurdities that it could be argued scripture doesn't rule out the possibility of. You have also never heard of the following, but by your own reasoning they are also possible because scripture doesn't definitely rule them out:

1. A secret tribe of small courgette people. (Let's call them ...[text shortened]... etc.

Scripture shouldn't be your benchmark for what is possible. Your brain should do that.
    LOL, I like #2....LMAO
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 18:301 edit
    LOL, I like #2....LMAO
    I honestly cannot laugh; I find this whole jumbo-jumbo approach to Christianity degrading to those who believe in it and a stumbling block to those who may have a genuine interest in what Christianity has to offer. I am honestly absolutely astonished at what some of the Christians in this forum believe, especially some of the allegedly more mature Christians like sonship and Grampy Bobby.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    28 Aug '15 18:42
    I honestly cannot laugh; I find this whole jumbo-jumbo approach to Christianity degrading to those who believe in it and a stumbling block to those who may have a genuine interest in what Christianity has to offer. I am honestly absolutely astonished at what some of the Christians in this forum believe, especially some of the allegedly more mature Christians like sonship and Grampy Bobby.
    “When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called a Religion.”

Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree