1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 20:46
    Sin

If the noun "sin" is within your vocabulary, please comment on its categories [if any] and meaning to you. Thanks.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 20:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Sin

If the noun "sin" is within your vocabulary, please comment on its categories [if any] and meaning to you. Thanks.[/b]
    imperfection
  3. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    30 Apr '15 21:38
    [b]Sin

If the noun "sin" is within your vocabulary, please comment on its categories [if any] and meaning to you. Thanks.[/b]
    Sin is an old archery term meaning "missing the mark" or bullseye.
    In the case of humans Adam and Eve missed the mark of perfection that Jehovah created them for.
    After that they passed that missing the mark on to their children, the whole human family.
    So any act that does not adhere to Jehovah's righteous standards is sin.
    Mankind's only hope is in the ransom price paid by Jesus.
    That will put us back on the mark!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 May '15 02:33
    [b]Sin

My main definition of sin is disobedience of the righteous law from God.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '15 08:441 edit
    Sin

If the noun "sin" is within your vocabulary, please comment on its categories [if any] and meaning to you. Thanks.
    God detests all mental, verbal and overt activities that violate His Character and Righteous Standards.
    The magnitude of seven particular sins listed in Proverbs 6:16-19 dispels any and all shallow views of sin
    as a few blatant overt sins or cultural taboos. (to be continued)

"16. There are six things which the Lord hates,
    Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:

17. Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
    And hands that shed innocent blood,

18. A heart that devises wicked plans,
    Feet that run rapidly to evil,

19. A false witness who utters lies,
    And one who spreads strife among brothers."
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:201 edit
    [b]Sin

Copy pastes aside, why don't you comment on the categories of "sins" and meaning to you personally?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:401 edit
    "16. There are six things which the Lord hates,
    Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:

17. Haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
    And hands that shed innocent blood,

18. A heart that devises wicked plans,
    Feet that run rapidly to evil,

19. A false witness who utters lies,
    And one who spreads strife among brothers."
    I don't believe in "sin". It's something for religionists to worry about.

But I can see the copy paste above more or less touches upon the basic Do Not Harm - Do Not Coerce - Do Not Deceive moral principles.

Finnegan made some interesting comments on another thread recently about how "sin" and "morality" are different things. But if religious people don't do immoral things because of their fear of "sinning", then that's fine by me.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    Copy pastes aside, why don't you comment on the categories of "sins" and meaning to you personally?
    because perhaps he likes to reason on things objectively without reducing elements to a personal level.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:441 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    because perhaps he likes to reason on things objectively without reducing elements to a personal level.
    Personal thoughts, ideas and perspectives are welcome on a debate and discussion forum.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    Personal thoughts, ideas and perspectives are welcome on a debate and discussion forum.
    No one has said they are not. Discussing arguments objectively on the merit of the reasoning and logic rather than advocating a personal perspective is also to be welcomed, infact, it would be a rather pleasing and refreshing change.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:49
    No one has said they are not. Discussing arguments objectively on the merit of the reasoning and logic rather than advocating a personal perspective is also to be welcomed, infact, it would be a rather pleasing and refreshing change.
    The OP asked me to comment on the meaning of "sin" to me. Our "personal perspectives" have been solicited by the OP, explicitly.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 May '15 11:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    The OP asked me to comment on the meaning of "sin" to me. Our "personal perspectives" have been solicited by the OP, explicitly.
    And yet some others managed to transcend themselves and offer an objective approach. How refreshing.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 12:01
    And yet some others managed to transcend themselves and offer an objective approach. How refreshing.
    Maybe we read different OPs.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 May '15 12:051 edit
    Based on this rational then, would you like to review your comparison of myself, my person, to the lynchers of the 19/20th century? That was pretty personal don't you think?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '15 12:08
    [b]Sin

I think the fact that my beliefs about right and wrong, seen through the prism of "sin" during the decades when I was Christian, converted into my post-Christian morality relatively smoothly because of the overlap that exists between some "sins" and the moral code of Do Not Harm - Do Not Coerce - Do Not Deceive. I feel that my attempts to be morally sound in my everyday life nowadays are heavily influenced by my Christian upbringing, youth and adulthood.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree