1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 20:03
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158285/Face-chewing-victim-Ronald-Poppo-pictured-awake-walking-hospital-Miami-cannibal-attack.html?ICO=most_read_module

Apart from the horror of cannibalism and drugs, I found it deeply upsetting and disturbing that passers-by could just ignore a naked man eating(!!) another naked man.

What is going on with society?
  2. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 20:39
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2158285/Face-chewing-victim-Ronald-Poppo-pictured-awake-walking-hospital-Miami-cannibal-attack.html?ICO=most_read_module

Apart from the horror of cannibalism and drugs, I found it deeply upsetting and disturbing that passers-by could just ignore a naked man eating(!!) another naked man.

Oh dear. I am sure it is a very accurate and fair account of events given the source. Obviously there is nothing normal about the incident and it tells you virtually nothing about society that we don't already know. Psychologists have studied the behaviour of people when there is trouble on the street and it is interesting to read. I have observed my local newsagent over several years since he bought his shop, spending each day reading the papers he sells and developing signs of paranoia and expressing fears about the most bizarre issues. Over and over I have tried to calm him down and point out what is deluded about the papers' accounts of what is happening but eventually one has to just sigh and give up trying.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 01:08
    CRIME: “Increasing of lawlessness.” (Matthew 24:12) Murder, robbery, rape, terrorism, corruption—the list is long and well known. In many areas people fear to walk their streets. Confirming this lawless trend after 1914, an authority on terrorism states: “The period up to the first World War was, on the whole, more humane.”23

FEAR: “There will be fearful sights.” (Luke 21:11) Hamburg’s Die Welt called our time “the century of fear.”24 Entirely new threats to mankind strike fear as never before. For the first time in history, such things as nuclear annihilation and pollution threaten to ‘ruin the earth.’ (Revelation 11:18) Escalating crime, inflation, nuclear weapons, hunger, disease and other evils have fed the fear that people have concerning their security and their very lives.

2 Timothy 3:3
    Good News Translation (GNT)

3 they will be unkind, merciless, slanderers, violent, and fierce; they will hate the good
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 01:191 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    CRIME: “Increasing of lawlessness.” (Matthew 24:12) Murder, robbery, rape, terrorism, corruption—the list is long and well known. In many areas people fear to walk their streets. Confirming this lawless trend after 1914, an authority on terrorism states: “The period up to the first World War was, on the whole, more humane.”23

FEAR: “There will be fea ...[text shortened]... T)

3 they will be unkind, merciless, slanderers, violent, and fierce; they will hate the good
    Crime and 'fear of crime', along with violence, historically speaking, are on the decline - have been for some time - and may in fact be at an all time low.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 02:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Crime and 'fear of crime', along with violence, historically speaking, are on the decline - have been for some time - and may in fact be at an all time low.
    Maybe in your world....
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 02:09
    Maybe in your world....
    No. In the world we both live in. If you are genuinely interested in this matter, you should read Steven Pinker's recent book "Better Angels of Our Nature -Why Violence Has Declined".
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 04:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. In the world we both live in. If you are genuinely interested in this matter, you should read Steven Pinker's recent book "Better Angels of Our Nature -Why Violence Has Declined".
    Perhaps you should close that book and watch the news about the world around you.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 04:39
    Perhaps you should close that book and watch the news about the world around you.
    If it bleeds, it leads.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 04:59
    Originally posted by JS357
    If it bleeds, it leads.
    Yep, I agree, if violence was commonplace it would not be so newsworthy ... however, I am still perplexed by the attitude of the passers-by; its not as if they would be endangering their own lives by just calling the police and shouting out "GETOFF!"
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 05:111 edit
    Well in fact I do watch the news - and have lived long enough to know that it isn't wise to construct generalizations on what news editors dish up for us - and I have also read books that both support my views and ones that challenge them.

Expressing your pessimism and negativity about the world, your apparent contempt and/or disregard for society and whole swathes of humanity, and your gloomy 'end is nigh' doomsday predictions, all seem quite clearly to form a central part of your world view and a premise for your "spiritual" outreach. So I think reading a substantial and much discussed book that challenges the assumptions upon which your mindset is based might be good for you.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 05:20
    Never use news for statistics. The quantity of news stories does not correspond to the quantity of actual crimes. If you want actual statistics ask the police and you will at least find out what crimes are reported to the police (not all are).
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 05:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Never use news for statistics. The quantity of news stories does not correspond to the quantity of actual crimes. If you want actual statistics ask the police and you will at least find out what crimes are reported to the police (not all are).
    On the Paul Harvey thread galveston75 said:

"I think if one looks at the videos that have become so popular of "bullying" that are being posted by the kids that seem to gang up and seemingly enjoy watching and then posting these attacks is something horrible and as a kid of the 60's and 70's nothing like this on the scale it is now ever existed."

When asked about this comparison of video clips of bullying posted to the internet nowadays to the number of "posted" in the 60s and 70s, he had no answer.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 05:33
    Yep, I agree, if violence was commonplace it would not be so newsworthy ... however, I am still perplexed by the attitude of the passers-by; its not as if they would be endangering their own lives by just calling the police and shouting out "GETOFF!"
    It seems to be a real, measurable phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 06:03

FEAR: “There will be fea ...[text shortened]... T)

Shouldn't it be getting better? After 1914 ? So it aint getting better because it's a false prophecy.

Manny
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 06:32
    Its not clear what you are asking. Are you suggesting society is changing, or are you simply asking why society is the way it is? If you are asking the former, then I would want evidence that this would not have happened exactly the same way in the past.
    If you are asking the latter, then I see it as partly a side effect of city living where nearly everyone is a stranger and partly the bystander effect referenced by JS357 ie "someone else will do something".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree