1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 07:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    What was, in your view, the level of the "Good Samaratan" syndrome in, say, the 12th century, the 15th century or the 17th century? You diagnose societal "sickness" in the present day. What would your diagnosis be for the above centuries.?
    The "Good Samaratan" story comes from at least as far back as the first century. So the problem existed even then.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 11:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    No. In the world we both live in. If you are genuinely interested in this matter, you should read Steven Pinker's recent book "Better Angels of Our Nature -Why Violence Has Declined".
    There are often encouraging signs here and there. But there are also plenty of growing signs for concern too.

Human trafficing and slavery are rampant. National Geographic magazine had an article recently on the rise of international slave trade.

Some would not consider divorce as violent. But the Bible says that God hates divorce because it is treacherous.

You might not know how violently one's soul and concience is torn apart and wounded in divorce unless you have experienced one. I have not. But my impression from others is that it can be a psychologically violent affair.

"For I hate divorce, says Jehovah the God of Israel; and he who does it behaves in violence, says Jehovah of hosts ..." (Malachi 2:16)
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 12:46
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Some would not consider divorce as violent. But the Bible says that God hates divorce because it is treacherous.

You might not know how violently one's soul and concience is torn apart and wounded in divorce unless you have experienced one. I have not. But my impression from others is that it can be a psychologically violent affair.
    And you presumably do not know how psychologically violent a bad marriage can be.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 13:001 edit
    There are often encouraging signs here and there. But there are also plenty of growing signs for concern too.
    One can be more optimistic and positive about the world than fundamentalist 'the end is nigh' Christians like yourself whilst still having "concerns" about the bad things going on in the world.
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 13:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    One can be more optimistic and positive about the world than fundamentalist 'the end is nigh' Christians like yourself whilst still having "concerns" about the bad things going on in the world.
    The bad things going on in the world in the last 50 yrs or so is no match for the bad things of centuries gone by.

Suffice it to say that if it were possible to take someone from any century of the last several thousand years of recorded history and place him in a typical developed country, he would think that the kingdom of God were already here.

Before the negative thinking Christians of this thread respond, please go read up on some world history.
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 14:031 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think I am not optimistic ? "The end is nigh" is only pessimism depending on what it is that is "ending".

Some things should have their "end" be nigh.
    And some other things we welcome their beginning.

I have plenty of optimism. It is just not all humanism.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 14:52
    Do you think I am not optimistic ? "The end is nigh" is only pessimism depending on what it is that is "ending".
    I think you're a gloomy pessimist and - probably without realizing it - a self-obsessed misanthropist. Why would someone like me welcome 'the end of the world being nigh'? What positivity is anyone supposed to obtain from death cult-like 'I read it in a book' witterings like yours?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 14:55
    Some things should have their "end" be nigh.
    And some other things we welcome their beginning.
    How dreary and alienating. Will this 'end of the world' nonsense affect only those who subscribe to it, or do you hope it will affect us all?
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 15:361 edit

Human trafficing and slavery are rampant. [b]National Geographic
    magazine had an article recently on the rise of international slave trade.

Some would not consider divorce as violent. But the Bible says that God hates divorce beca and he who does it behaves in violence, says Jehovah of hosts ..." (Malachi 2:16) [/b][/b]

"For I hate divorce, says Jehovah the God of Israel; and he who does it behaves in violence, says Jehovah of hosts ..." (Malachi 2:16) [/b]

Divorce can be the best available of the bad alternatives.

My first reaction about the above was to think it a misuse, for rhetorical effect, of of the word "violence." But the meaning of the word "violence" has changed in meaning over the years. It should not necessarily be taken to mean that divorce should be treated like we treat acts we nowadays call "violent."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=violence
    Violence
    late 13c., "physical force used to inflict injury or damage," from Anglo-Fr. and O.Fr. violence, from L. violentia "vehemence, impetuosity," from violentus "vehement, forcible," probably related to violare (see violation). Weakened sense of "improper treatment" is attested from 1590s.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 19:421 edit

Some would not consider divorce as violent. But the Bible says that God hates divorce beca and he who does it behaves in violence, says Jehovah of hosts ..." (Malachi 2:16) [/b][/b]
    There was a movie about the treachery of divorce starring Michael Douglas. I believe it was called "The War of the Roses".
  11. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 22:30
    ce is now rament in the world.Originally posted by jaywill

Some would not consider divorce as violent. But the Bible sa ...[text shortened]... and he who does it behaves in violence, says Jehovah of hosts ..." (Malachi 2:16) [/b][/b]
    Yes divorce is now common place and it seems many get married expecting that to happen, thus the prenuptials are getting more and more common. People are more concerned about their money then the marriage arrangment by God.
    The sanctaty of marrage and what it is in God's eyes are getting farther and father from our knowledge of God.
    And the sad thing is the children that may be involved and they also see the examples that their parents and probably their grandparents have set.
    Then you just have a growing majority that just don't get married and are thus living in sin and their kids see that.
    So the moral compass that should have instilled in children by our parents thru teaching and examples are losing ground every minute.
    I just heard that over 200 young black men in Chicago or Detroit I think, have died this year by murder.
    Where are their parents? Did they stay together in marriage and teach these young men morals and to respect life and do this by example? NO.......
    But perhaps as one poster here mentioned, just buy locks and that will help. Right!!!!
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 22:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you're a gloomy pessimist and - probably without realizing it - a self-obsessed misanthropist. Why would someone like me welcome 'the end of the world being nigh'? What positivity is anyone supposed to obtain from death cult-like 'I read it in a book' witterings like yours?
    Big words but not the truth to those who know God and the world as it is now.
    The point is if Satan were to just go away and leave us alone and all would just love one another and let there be happiness with no one trying to hurt us, I'm all for it. Bring it on.
    But man has tried now for thousands of years to be self sufficient and to govern ourselves.

(((((((((((((((((((((((( It's not working))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sure some things are better because of science, but look at ll the things that aren't. Our oceans are starting to die and when that goes we are all going to die.
    The world economy is on the brink of colasping. What then?
    Just one really strong virus that we don't have meds for and who knows where we will be then.
    So yes...if we could fix all these problems including the improvement of just humans caring for each other earthwide, go for it. But it's never happened and never will if it's left up to us.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 22:561 edit
    Whatever figures or guesstimates you guys (G-75,etc.) come up with should be noted that these numbers should be done on a per capita basis.
    In the last 100 years the worlds poplulation has gone from less than a billion to 7 billion!
    So it 's easy to say there are more murders , violence,etc. but we have to look at those numbers in relation to the population.. (has anyone actually looked at the population curve for the 20th century? I have, and I find it very revealing. I recommend it to anyone who isn't quite aware of what I'm on about . The others will get it, no problem)

Frankly ,I for one am astounded at the sheer stupidity of so called grown men who say stuff stuff like society is getting more violent and then give some numbers to back up their claims. The point is that there is so many more billions (not just millions) of people in the world , so comparitively I think violence and violent acts have gone down , per capita, or remained the same,if anything.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 23:04
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Maybe in your world....
    We have to take a step forward, my dear friend, and face up to the fact that me ,you, FMF,etc. all inhabit the same world at this time.

Your comment here smacks of denial-unless I am missing something.
    (So I will await a further reply-if any- before continuing)
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 23:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Whatever figures or guesstimates you guys (G-75,etc.) come up with should be noted that these numbers should be done on a per capita basis.
    In the last 100 years the worlds poplulation has gone from less than a billion to 7 billion!
    So it 's easy to say there are more murders , violence,etc. but we have to look at those numbers in relation to the p ...[text shortened]... hink violence and violent acts have gone down , per capita, or remained the same,if anything.
    No need for the insults................

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree