1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:02
    Originally posted by galveston75
    All the things Jesus mentioned have on some level always happened. No arguing there. But he said there would be a rise or amount of these things.
    For example, wars. They have almost always been, but he said "reports of wars".
    What could that mean today as apposed to say 1700 years ago or say in the mid 1800's?
    There were wars then and many in the l ...[text shortened]... t any wars on the earth today? Would we all know about them or still in just that local area?
    I'm afraid I'm not quite clear here on this post. Dont worry. I just want to simplify anyway , so if you just respond to my above post, that is, if you wish, then let's just take it from there, eh?

"All the things Jesus mentioned have on some level always happened"
    you may want to incorporate and further explain on this quote if you desire..
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    Oh so you disagree with galveston75's assertion [across numerous threads] that things have become so bad that it is now clear that we are approaching the 'end times'?
    I would say that there is nothing new under the sun in terms of sin. That is Biblical. What can be argued, however, is the scale. There are many more people today than any time in hisotory, so it stands to reason that there is more sin being committed every second.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:38
    Originally posted by FMF
    If it has always been the same - and "nothing much has changed" - over the centuries, then isn't it a 'feature' or 'reality' of society, rather than a "sickness"? Isn't "sickness" an aberration? If it is an aberration, how can it be an unchanging part of what is normal?
    Sickness is not an aberration. If it were, then at some point sickness would just vanish altogether. Sickness is part of the human condition, or had you not noticed?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:50
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sickness is not an aberration. If it were, then at some point sickness would just vanish altogether. Sickness is part of the human condition, or had you not noticed?
    Healthfulness is the norm. "Sickness" means 'impairment of normal physiological function'. Sickness is therefore an aberration. There is nothing in the definition of aberration that says that it will "just vanish altogether" at some point. It is a state or condition markedly different from the norm. You're just making stuff up. Your suggestion that a "sickness" can be an unchanging part of what is normal about society is nonsense. The no-Good-Samaritan syndrome cannot be 'the way it is and the way it has always been', as you seem to suggest, and be described as a "sickness" at the same time.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 02:52
    I would say that there is nothing new under the sun in terms of sin. That is Biblical. What can be argued, however, is the scale. There are many more people today than any time in hisotory, so it stands to reason that there is more sin being committed every second.
    This does not answer my question.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 11:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Healthfulness is the norm. "Sickness" means 'impairment of normal physiological function'. Sickness is therefore an aberration. There is nothing in the definition of aberration that says that it will "just vanish altogether" at some point. It is a state or condition markedly different from the norm. You're just making stuff up. Your suggestion that a "sickness" ...[text shortened]... s been', as you seem to suggest, and be described as a "sickness" at the same time.
    I guess it depends on what is deemed "sickness" We all have problems whether it be physical, emotional, spiritual etc. In fact, we all wind up the same way, dead. So for me, the term "healthy" is simply an term that identifies how close to death we really are.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 11:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    This does not answer my question.
    What is the question?
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 11:54
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Here is a list of scriptures and the events that were prophesied about Jesus that came true.

He did exist..............

Genesis:
    Shiloh (Ge 49:10): w07 12/1 23-25; w04 1/15 29; w02 10/1 17-20; kl 93; w92 10/1 8; wi 12-13; it-1 491-492; it-2 127, 928-929
    “words of elegance” (Ge 49:21): w02 8/15 12; it-2 470-471
    Deuteronomy:
    prophet like Moses ...[text shortened]... fort required: it-2 68
    preaching work: it-2 671-672
    temple in Jerusalem essential: g90 12/8 13
    “Wonderful Counselor” (Isa 9:6): w07 5/15 6; cf 23; cl 211-213; ip-1 129-130; it-2 69-70

Galveston, you left out that in the very SAME PROPHECY the Son is not only called Wonderful Counselor but "Mighty God" as well and "Eternal Father" as well.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 11:55
    What is the question?
    Still dodging, I see.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:091 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I think you're a gloomy pessimist and - probably without realizing it - a self-obsessed misanthropist. Why would someone like me welcome 'the end of the world being nigh'? What positivity is anyone supposed to obtain from death cult-like 'I read it in a book' witterings like yours?
    I think you're a gloomy pessimist and - probably without realizing it - a self-obsessed misanthropist. Why would someone like me welcome 'the end of the world being nigh'? What positivity is anyone supposed to obtain from death cult-like 'I read it in a book' witterings like yours?

I am not gloomy. I am full of rejoicing. You may think what you wish and put it on a personal level.

Maybe you have a gloomy attitude about God, Christ, forgiveness, redemption, sanctification, transformation, resurrection, eternal life, the Holy Spirit, and other major biblical themes. Perhaps such topics make you feel gloomy.

I am not gloomy because salvation in Jesus is very practical and down to earth to so many of us who have tasted that the Lord is good. And His salvation reaches the whole globe and the environment. What is there to be gloomy about ?

You're funny too, calling the New Testament a death cult.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:12
    What is the question?
    I'm guessing:

Whodey: "As for people turing and walking away, I find this the most distrubing. The no "Good Samaratan" syndrome seems to be an indication of the real sickness withint society. For me, it is far worse than the crazed violent man trying to cure his hunger problems."

FMF, in reply: "What was, in your view, the level of the "Good Samaratan" syndrome in, say, the 12th century, the 15th century or the 17th century? You diagnose societal "sickness" in the present day. What would your diagnosis be for the above centuries.?"

This might relate to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect. If the bystander effect was common enough in Biblical times to merit a parable against it (Luke 10:25-37) maybe it has appeared throughout human history and is not particularly remarkable as "a sign of the times" today. We are by nature inclined to think that the time in which we exist is the most significant in all respects. But that's just my surmise of what this is about.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:16
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I am not gloomy because salvation in Jesus is very practical and down to earth to so many of us who have tasted that the Lord is good. And His salvation reaches the whole globe and the environment. What is there to be gloomy about? You're funny too, calling the New Testament a death cult.
    Let's get this straight. In this hope or vision that you peddle, you get to live right? Do I get to live or die? Or does nobody die? The internet is a great enabler but sometimes it takes the biscuit. When it was the guy on Oxford Street with the 'end is nigh' sandwich board, at least this 'vision' was placed in its proper perspective.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:19
    What is the question?
    Why not answer any questions? Here's another one that you sidestepped:

Do you disagree with galveston75's assertion [across numerous threads] that things have become so bad that it is now clear that we are approaching the 'end times'?
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:414 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Let's get this straight. In this hope or vision that you peddle, you get to live right? Do I get to live or die? Or does nobody die? The internet is a great enabler but sometimes it takes the biscuit. When it was the guy on Oxford Street with the 'end is nigh' sandwich board, at least this 'vision' was placed in its proper perspective.
    Let's get this straight. In this hope or vision that you peddle, you get to live right?

By all means, let's get it straight.

In the Christian Gospel I get to let Jesus Christ live in me. This gives great ungloomy" joy to my existence. He loved me and gave Himself for me.

A brand new start in life under 100% forgiveness with God, is not gloomy. And that is just the start.

Previously what was "peddled" to me was that men are accidently smarter monkeys less fit to possess the earth than the cockroach. Our star is dying and our planet is insignificant in the vastness of space - a really quite second rate place.

My generation was peddled the gloominess which led John Lennon to write - "Strawberry Fields Forever ... Nothing is real".

Or it led to Jimi Hendrix to cry out for us "Will I live tomorrow? I just don't know. I'm only sure that I don't live today. I only know that I'm livin at the bottom of a grave."

Did you say something about "gloomy" ? Something like "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" . huh?

Something like "A Lighter Shade of Pale" ?
    Did you mention "gloomy" ?
    Today's young people's lyrics are not much better.

Do I get to live or die? Or does nobody die?

We get to live now in union with the Prince of Life - Jesus Christ.
    We look forward to resurrection - not only as He taught, but as He DEMONSTRATED.

I do not know WHY God loves me so much. I do know that the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ. This is not gloom. This is more hope than my mind can almost endure.

This is a good news which surpasses all that we could ask or think.
    He is called "the God of eternal encouragement" (2 Thess. 2:16) .

The internet is a great enabler but sometimes it takes the biscuit. When it was the guy on Oxford Street with the 'end is nigh' sandwich board, at least this 'vision' was placed in its proper perspective.

You may relegate all Christians to that caricature is you wish. You may find it satisfying but it really isn't realistic or quite honest.

I can do the same. I can make all humanist equate to that self loving cartoon character Garflied the Cat - dry, selfish, hedonistic.

I can say "Yep. All these modern people have exactly the same attitude as Garfield." Simple. Easy.

The thought of such generalizations if a bit depressing. Bigotry in general is depressing no matter who shows it.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jun '12 12:431 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The thought of such generalizations if a bit depressing. Bigotry in general is depressing no matter who shows it.
    Does everyone get to live and to see their children live even if they don't subscribe to your doomsday wish?

Do you hope your gloomy predictions are wrong?

Do you seriously think that finding your predictions ludicrous - and saying so - is an example of "bigotry"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree