1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 11:44
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    How on earth is this random assortment of words simplifying anything??
    Maybe try again tomorrow.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 06:40
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    2. and 17. in my early twenties: corporate career good fortunes eliminated 2. and I gradually grew out of 17. >> "17.You find yourself judging others."
    You seriously claim to have "grown out of" judging others?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:01
    Maybe try again tomorrow.
    Arrogance is thinking you can see yourself, your thoughts, words and deeds objectively.

Honesty is admitting that you have a subjective image of yourself.

Let's simplify further: Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded [vibrating emotionally]; humility based on virtue can't.

Alright, I've tried again. I still think my definition is understandable whereas your definition makes no sense in its current form. Should I try again tomorrow?
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 11:261 edit
    [b]Arrogance is thinking you can see yourself, your thoughts, words and deeds objectively.

Honesty is admitting that you have a subjective image of yourself.

Let's simplify further: Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded [vibrating emotionally]; hu ...[text shortened]... andable whereas your definition makes no sense in its current form. Should I try again tomorrow?
    GKR, I do agree that your two sentences accurately describe human viewpoint which represents arrogance as compared with divine viewpoint. My sentence which represents an application was inappropriate in context and therefore unnecessary.

Edit: Thank you.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 12:16
    GKR, I do agree that your two sentences accurately describe human viewpoint which represents arrogance as compared with divine viewpoint. My sentence which represents an application was inappropriate in context and therefore unnecessary.

Edit: Thank you.
    I wasn't comparing anything with a "divine viewpoint", whatever that means.

I simply meant that it is arrogant to think you can see yourself objectively. How you view yourself and others is a subjective matter.

Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded [vibrating emotionally]; humility based on virtue can't.

Regardless, can you explain this sentence to this silly Dutchman who's first language is not English? Maybe it's such a high level use of the English language that it flies right over my head.

- Why is arrogance often easily wounded?
    - What does "vibrating emotionally" mean here (or anywhere else for that matter) and why is it between these things: "[]" and not between regular brackets?
    - What is "humility based on virtue"?
    - Why can't "humility based on virtue" be easily wounded?

Thank you.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 18:33
    I wasn't comparing anything with a "divine viewpoint", whatever that means.

I simply meant that it is arrogant to think you can see yourself objectively. How you view yourself and others is a subjective matter.

[b]Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded [vibrating emotionally]; humility based on virtue can't.

Regardless, can you expl ...[text shortened]... ility based on virtue"?
    - Why can't "humility based on virtue" be easily wounded?

Thank you.[/b]
    As a native English speaker I can say with confidence that what you are struggling with is not a
    'high level use' of English... It's total gibberish..

However, I don't know how your keyboards are arranged, but on the standard English British
    keyboard the [] brackets don't require holding down shift to type.
    Unlike () which do... causing me frequently on trying to use them to get results like ...
    9This text is in bracketS0...

[ and ] are easier.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 19:38
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    As a native English speaker I can say with confidence that what you are struggling with is not a
    'high level use' of English... It's total gibberish..

However, I don't know how your keyboards are arranged, but on the standard English British
    keyboard the [] brackets don't require holding down shift to type.
    Unlike () which do... causing me freque ...[text shortened]... rying to use them to get results like ...
    9This text is in bracketS0...

[ and ] are easier.
    I wasn't being completely serious... I know my English is more than good enough to distinguish high level English from, as you say, gibberish.

Yes, on my keyboard the shift key is also required for brackets. I'm not a big fan of this "its easr 2 type so lets skp som ot keyz" mentality. Very off topic, but I always puke a little bit when I see "I would of done that" instead of "I would have done that".

Certainly, GB doesn't shy away from typing a lot, so using the shift key seems like a small effort.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '14 02:24
    I wasn't being completely serious... I know my English is more than good enough to distinguish high level English from, as you say, gibberish.

Yes, on my keyboard the shift key is also required for brackets. I'm not a big fan of this "its easr 2 type so lets skp som ot keyz" mentality. Very off topic, but I always puke a little bit when I see "I wo ...[text shortened]... tainly, GB doesn't shy away from typing a lot, so using the shift key seems like a small effort.
    [explanatory]

(de-emphasize)

Some, unfortunately, nit pick bracket vs. parenthesis peer approval correctness in lieu of focusing objectively on meaning.
    Disappointing, GKR. I had hoped to resume with your earnest questions. Maybe Thursday you'll come home to your senses.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 02:27
    "[]" and not between regular brackets?
    I use [ ] instead of ( ) in order to avoid unintended emoticons or formatting.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 May '14 04:512 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    I use [ ] instead of ( ) in order to avoid unintended emoticons or formatting.
    Plus, you don't have to hold Shift to get these [] .

LOL, apparently I walked right into GKR's comment there. So I like things that help me type more efficiently. Sue me.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '14 19:00
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Plus, you don't have to hold Shift to get these [] .

LOL, apparently I walked right into GKR's comment there. So I like things that help me type more efficiently. Sue me.
    People "sue" when they're treated unfairly or wronged. Some feel this way about God. In court what would they demand?
  12. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    01 May '14 22:211 edit
    [explanatory]

(de-emphasize)

Some, unfortunately, nit pick bracket vs. parenthesis peer approval correctness in lieu of focusing objectively on meaning.
    Disappointing, GKR. I had hoped to resume with your earnest questions. Maybe Thursday you'll come home to your senses.
    Sounds fair enough to me, though I was not aware of the distinction.

However, given that, in what way does the phrase "vibrating emotionally" help to explain the sentence "Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded"?

Penguin
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '14 22:53
    Originally posted by Penguin to Grampy Bobby
    [b]However, given that, in what way does the phrase "vibrating emotionally" help to explain the sentence "Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded"?/b]
    Grampy Bobby uses verbosity [and other gimmicks] to try to disguise his inability to engage genuinely and he repeatedly tries to depict disagreement with him as "emotional".
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '14 23:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Grampy Bobby uses verbosity [and other gimmicks] to try to disguise his inability to engage genuinely and he repeatedly tries to depict disagreement with him as "emotional".
    Personal Attack noted but not yet Alerted. FMF, please stay on topic. Thank you. -Bob

Spirituality Forum Thread Topic: Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    20 Signs You're Unhappy (But Don't Even Realize It)
    By Dr. Lissa Rankin January 23, 2014

"Our entire culture suffers from what the shamans call “soul loss,” a loss of meaning, direction, vitality, mission, purpose, identity, and genuine connection; a deep unhappiness that most of us have come to consider as simply ordinary..."
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 May '14 23:54
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Sounds fair enough to me, though I was not aware of the distinction.

However, given that, in what way does the phrase "vibrating emotionally" help to explain the sentence "Arrogance can be and often is easily wounded"?

Penguin
    Penguin, thanks for this objective question; it's deserving of an answer which I'll provide on Friday or before.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree