1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 07:411 edit
    20 Signs You're Unhappy (But Don't Even Realize It)
    By Dr. Lissa Rankin January 23, 2014

"Our entire culture suffers from what the shamans call “soul loss,” a loss of meaning, direction, vitality, mission, purpose, identity, and genuine connection; a deep unhappiness that most of us have come to consider as simply ordinary.

The soul is our source of absolute uniqueness, a place within that connects you not only to your own value and essence, but to the value and essence of every other living being. What makes soul loss so subtle and dangerous is that very few people have realized that it has happened. Most of us do not know that we have disconnected from our soul and have come to accept as normal a numbness and lack of meaning in our lives. Because we all belong to this culture, we all suffer from soul loss. It's epidemic and blinds us from seeing the potential for joy and wholeness in ordinary life. When you heal from soul loss, you see familiar things in new ways so you can increase your joy in what you already have.

Not sure if you’re suffering from soul loss? Here are 20 diagnostic signs that signal soul loss:

1.You feel like you’re not as good as other people.
    2.You yearn to be of service, but you have no idea what you have to contribute and why it matters.
    3.You find yourself striving in vain for an impossible-to-achieve standard of perfection.
    4.Your fears keep you from living large.
    5.You’re frequently worried that you’re not good enough, smart enough, thin enough, young enough, [fill in the blank] enough.

6.You feel like a victim of circumstances that are beyond your control.
    7.You feel like your daily life is meaningless and task-driven.
    8.You often feel helpless, hopeless, or pessimistic.
    9.You protect your heart with steel walls.
    10.You often feel you don’t really matter and your love doesn’t make a difference.

11.You’re always trying to fit in and belong, but rarely feel like you do.
    12.You feel beaten down by the challenges you face in your life.
    13.You suffer from a variety of vague, hard to treat physical symptoms, such as fatigue, chronic pain, weight gain or loss, insomnia, skin disorders, or gastrointestinal symptoms.
    14.You struggle with being able to accept love and nurturing.
    15.You feel depressed, anxious, or chronically worried.

16.You feel like you’re not appreciated enough.
    17.You find yourself judging others.
    18.You frequently numb yourself with alcohol, drugs, sex, television, or excessive busyness.
    19.You feel disappointed with life.
    20.You’ve forgotten how to dream.

How soul loss shows up at the doctor’s office: As a physician, I’ve had years of experience diagnosing soul loss in my patients, but Western medicine has no framework for this kind of diagnosis, and as doctors, we’re not taught to treat this kind of suffering, so we wind up mistreating it. What people suffering from soul loss need is the deep medicine of reconnection with the soul, but in our culture, we tend to treat soul loss too superficially. We treat the chronic pain with pain medication. We treat the insomnia with sleeping pills. We treat the weight issues with diet and exercise. And most damagingly, we may label soul loss as mental illness, such as depression, and cover up the symptoms with psychiatric medications that may make things worse by slapping a Band-aid on a wound that’s not healing underneath the bandage.

The treatment you really need: Sometimes the soul needs space in order to heal, and this may require the courage to make some external changes in your life. Perhaps you need to switch careers in order to give the soul more room to breathe. Perhaps an unhealthy relationship is constricting the soul, and it’s time to get into therapy, set boundaries, or even end things. Perhaps you need to find more people to love or relocate to a place that helps your soul come alive.

Perhaps you need to give your soul permission to engage in more creative activities. Such external changes may be part of the prescription the inner doctor of your soul writes. But very often, those kinds of major life overhauls are Not Necessary! Reconnecting to the soul allows you to find peace and happiness right where you are in ways that are much simpler and more profound than you might think. It can be astounding to discover that you’ve had what you needed all along and have been looking in all the wrong places. Perhaps all that is needed is to see the life you’re already living in a different way."

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-12383/20-signs-youre-unhappy-but-dont-even-realize-it.html

To paraphrase Dr. Rankin, 'perhaps what's needed is to see the life you’re already living with the perspective of eternity; specifically, finding the courage and objectivity to reconsider the claims of Christ and an internal change in your volition'.
    Does this doctor's "soul loss" assessment profile apply to anyone within your periphery? Rhetorical: does it apply to you?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 08:04
    These are also familiar as classical signs of clinical depression.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 08:06
    1.You feel like you’re not as good as other people. NO.
    2.You yearn to be of service, but you have no idea what you have to contribute and why it matters. NO. PLENTY OF IDEAS.
    3.You find yourself striving in vain for an impossible-to-achieve standard of perfection. IN MY WORK I AM A PERFECTIONIST. WORKING TOWARDS IT IS NOT IN VAIN.
    4.Your fears keep you from living large. I DON'T HAVE FEARS OTHER THAN OCCASIONAL ONES ABOUT THE SAFETY OR HEALTH OF MY CHILDREN. RANKIN NEEDS TO DEFINE "LIVING LARGE".
    5.You’re frequently worried that you’re not good enough, smart enough, thin enough, young enough, [fill in the blank] enough. NO.
    6.You feel like a victim of circumstances that are beyond your control. SOME CIRCUMSTANCES ARE OUT OF MY CONTROL BUT I NEVER SEE MYSELF AS A "VICTIM" OF THEM EXCEPT FOR WHEN CRIMES ARE COMMITTED AGAINST ME.
    7.You feel like your daily life is meaningless and task-driven. NOT AT ALL.
    8.You often feel helpless, hopeless, or pessimistic. NO.
    9.You protect your heart with steel walls. RANKIN NEEDS TO DEFINE THIS.
    10.You often feel you don’t really matter and your love doesn’t make a difference. NO, NOT AT ALL.
    11.You’re always trying to fit in and belong, but rarely feel like you do. MAYBE OCCASIONALLY BACK IN MY MID-TEENS.
    12.You feel beaten down by the challenges you face in your life. NO.
    13.You suffer from a variety of vague, hard to treat physical symptoms, such as fatigue, chronic pain, weight gain or loss, insomnia, skin disorders, or gastrointestinal symptoms. MY PATTERNS AND PRESSURES OF WORK SOMETIMES CAUSE ME FATIGUE.
    14.You struggle with being able to accept love and nurturing. NO.
    15.You feel depressed, anxious, or chronically worried. NO.
    16.You feel like you’re not appreciated enough. NO PROBLEM IN THIS AREA. QUICKLY DROP CLIENTS WHO TAKE MY WORK FOR GRANTED.
    17.You find yourself judging others. BUFFOONS, MISANTHROPES AND WINDBAGS ONLINE YES, IN REALITY I CUT PEOPLE A LOT OF SLACK.
    18.You frequently numb yourself with alcohol, drugs, sex, television, or excessive busyness. ALMOST NO TV. NO DRUGS. BEERS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT. NORMAL SEX LIFE. RANKIN NEEDS TO DEFINE "EXCESSIVE".
    19.You feel disappointed with life. QUITE THE OPPOSITE.
    20.You’ve forgotten how to dream. NO.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 09:141 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    These are also familiar as classical signs of clinical depression.
    I've had self-diagnosed depression. Clinical depression seems a bit extreme.

All I needed was a sexy woman in the nude to snap me right out of it.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 11:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I've had self-diagnosed depression. Clinical depression seems a bit extreme.

All I needed was a sexy woman in the nude to snap me right out of it.
    Depressed, mind-numbingly dumb, obese and a wifebeater.

You really have everything going for yourself, don't you?
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 11:48
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]20 Signs You're Unhappy (But Don't Even Realize It)

"Our entire culture suffers from what the shamans call “soul loss,” a loss of meaning, direction, vitality, mission, purpose, identity, and genuine connection; a deep unhappiness that most of us have come to consider as simply ordinary.

[i]The ...[text shortened]... oss" assessment profile apply to anyone within your periphery? Rhetorical: does it apply to you?[/b]
    How about you, GB. Does it apply to you?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:38
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Depressed, mind-numbingly dumb, obese and a wifebeater.

You really have everything going for yourself, don't you?
    Obese and a wife-beater??
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:38
    How about you, GB. Does it apply to you?
    2. and 17. in my early twenties: corporate career good fortunes eliminated 2. and I gradually grew out of 17.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:41
    [b]20 Signs You're Unhappy (But Don't Even Realize It)

[i]The ...[text shortened]... oss" assessment profile apply to anyone within your periphery? Rhetorical: does it apply to you?[/b]
    "Soul loss"

What in effective expression; neither spiritual (at least not Christian) nor clinically scientific.

Not looked up this Dr Rankin but they sound like a flake.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Obese and a wife-beater??
    Granted, the obese part is hearsay.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:50
    2. and 17. in my early twenties: corporate career good fortunes eliminated 2. and I gradually grew out of 17.
    Are you sure you grew out of 17 (You find yourself judging others), GB?

Do you not judge others?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 13:531 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    "Soul loss"

What in effective expression; neither spiritual (at least not Christian) nor clinically scientific.

Not looked up this Dr Rankin but they sound like a flake.
    An attractive MD (author, speaker); impressive academic credentials; married with one daughter living in San Francisco.

http://lissarankin.com/about

http://www.positivelypositive.com/author/lissarankin/
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 14:00
    Granted, the obese part is hearsay.
    It's technically 'morbidly obese'. He told us his weight and height a little while back.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 14:02
    Are you sure you grew out of 17 (You find yourself judging others), GB?

Do you not judge others?
    Still "tempted to judge others" but resist in favor of making an objective evaluation and leaving the matter in God's hands. Whenever I succumb, 1 John 1:9 remedies the situation. Now you know why sometimes I post silence rather than ink.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    28 Apr '14 14:03
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    It's technically 'morbidly obese'. He told us his weight and height a little while back.
    He's who we all should aspire to be.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree