1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:24
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    an atheist is not evil. and certainly not eternal.

where is the justice in punishing a kind atheist, or muslim, or catholic while letting a serial killer who repented enter heaven? one was a sinner for a finite amount of time, gets an eternity of punishment. the other was a much worse sinner for the same time, repented 1 year before his death, gets an eternity of heaven.
    Do you really think he was talking about atheists? Really?

Do you have any real concept of evil?

Oh, no, I guess not, you only believe what makes you happy and toss the rest.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:25
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Comparing man to God or God to man is nonsensical and makes all your points here moot.

You also maintain that man has the ability to reason and then you spout off two "absolutes" that have zero truth.

Thank you for playing. Feel free to try again.
    i have no idea what you are trying to communicate. that you are incoherent?

"Comparing man to God or God to man is nonsensical "
    man was created in god's image. comparing the two is not nonsensical.

"You also maintain that man has the ability to reason and then you spout off two "absolutes" that have zero truth."
    huh?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:29
    "We believe those people were evil and they needed to be destroyed in order to prevent contamination."
    thanks for clearing this for the royal rat. this is what i meant when i said i am blaming people like you who believe this crap. this belief makes you a bad person. a horrible person. even if the people from the noah's flood are fictitious. because noah's ...[text shortened]... said : "kill all who don't believe in the same things as you do, else you will be contaminated"
    Man, I thought I had a liberal version of Christianity.

Yours is more like a hippy-dippy, flower-child sort.

If you don't believe the Bible, then how can you accept a religion that bases its dogma on the Bible? Oh, wait, you don't. You only believe in what makes you happy and toss the rest. Uh-huh.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:30
    i have no idea what you are trying to communicate. that you are incoherent?

"Comparing man to God or God to man is nonsensical "
    man was created in god's image. comparing the two is not nonsensical.

"You also maintain that man has the ability to reason and then you spout off two "absolutes" that have zero truth."
    huh?
    Not really clear on the definition of "image", are you?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:31

If you don't believe the Bible, then how can you accept a religion that bases its dogma on the Bible? Oh, wait, you don't. You only believe in what makes you happy and toss the rest. Uh-huh.
    Do you believe that women should be be "in all subjection" to their husbands? If not, your statement is hypocritical, isn't it?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:32

Only in comparison to whack jobs like RJHinds.

In comparison with a typical CofE protestant you are a [figuratively] foaming at the mouth fundamentalist.

Only in a country as nutty as the USA could your beliefs be considered liberal.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:32
    Do you really think he was talking about atheists? Really?

Do you have any real concept of evil?

Oh, no, I guess not, you only believe what makes you happy and toss the rest.
    "Do you really think he was talking about atheists? Really?"
    just an example. really. if one holds the bible as true, atheists are going to hell. muslims are going to hell. even certain flavors of christians are going to hell.

"Do you have any real concept of evil?"
    i do.
    "Oh, no, I guess not,"
    i really do, really. was the first question rhetorical? was i not supposed to answer? i am so confused right now.

"you only believe what makes you happy"
    that's the whole point of religion
    " and toss the rest"
    believing in genocides makes me unhappy. i can't do anything about real genocides, except to feel sorrow, shame, disgust about how evil some of our ancestors were or how evil some of our contemporaries are. they are even useful, in a sad manner, so that we don't repeat those heinous acts again and stand up to those that do.

i really have no use for made up genocides that serve no purpose. i toss them with extreme prejudice
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:38
    Originally posted by vivify
    Do you believe that women should be be "in all subjection" to their husbands? If not, your statement is hypocritical, isn't it?
    No, it's not.

Some sections of the Bible (clearly, this includes the Mosaic laws, which Christ superceded) were written for ancient man.

But you hold that since I do not hold to every single word in the Bible, that I am hypocritical? That is laughable. Just outright laughable. Especially when compared with someone who holds that nearly everything in the Bible is some sort of lie.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:38
    just an example. really. if one holds the bible as true, atheists are going to hell. muslims are going to hell. even certain flavors of christians are going to hell.

i do.
    "Oh, no, I guess not,"
    i really do, really. was the first question rhetorica ...[text shortened]... ally have no use for made up genocides that serve no purpose. i toss them with extreme prejudice
    Have you ever considered Secular Humanism?

Comes with all the warm fuzziness of any good social support network.

Does good charitable things.

Has a sound basis for it's excellent moral foundation.

Has the bonus value of actually being true, and thus having no obvious nasty mistakes to throw out.

And if a mistake is found it can be fixed, meaning it gets even better over time.

They do weddings, and funerals, and absolutely nobody goes to hell.

You should give it a look.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:39
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    From my atheistic perspective it's also wrong for an almight god to not intervene when natural disasters happen or a father rapes his child, yet you believe that, right?

How does that not make you a horrible person, like you seem to think of people like Hinds and Mr.-I-Love-Obama?
    Why am I a horrible person because bad things happen? It's not my fault. I don't have to choose to believe that God doesn't stop a murder it is evident that he hasn't. The idiot Hinds chooses to believe in eternal hell.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:40

"If you don't believe the Bible, then how can you accept a religion that bases its dogma on the Bible? "
    the name of my religion is christianity. you must have heard about it, it was on TV.
    the bible has many pages. quite a few of them tell stories about a weird, psychotic god that likes to kill people. a lot. has nothing in common with jesus Christ and what he taught. those pages about jesus Christ are nice. i like those. i base my religion on those. Christ-ianity
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:42
    Come on, I know that you know what I am talking about here. Don't be like one of these closed-minded people who claim that "if it isn't in the Bible, then it's not true" or some such crap.

I'm not speaking of "antichrists" here (small a). Anyone who is "against Christ" could be an "antichrist". That's not what I am speaking about. I mean THE AntiChri ...[text shortened]... exactly what one DOES believe. And no, lying about it to "have it both ways" is NOT an option.
    Unlike Mr Sulk, KellyJay, who not only agrees with you that this person is literal, he also believes they will appear within his lifetime. But also unlike KellyJay, I don't know if this person exists and refuse to pretend I do, which is all you are doing.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:451 edit
    No, it's not.

Some sections of the Bible (clearly, this includes the Mosaic laws, which Christ superceded) were written for ancient man.

But you hold that since I do not hold to every single word in the Bible, that I am hypocritical? That is laughable. Just outright laughable. Especially when compared with someone who holds that nearly everything in the Bible is some sort of lie.
    So what separates you from Zahlanzi, since you attacked his stance on the bible? Aren't you also choosing "what makes you happy" like he is?
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why am I a horrible person because bad things happen? It's not my fault. I don't have to choose to believe that God doesn't stop a murder it is evident that he hasn't. The idiot Hinds chooses to believe in eternal hell.
    Either you're not reading what I wrote or you're purposely ignoring it.

You believe in god, therefore by definition you believe in a god that let's horrible things happen. Yet you do not say "God, I will have nothing more to do with you until you do the right thing. I denounce my faith* in you."

How is that not morally wrong, yet Hinds believing that god's decision to toss me in hell is right because it's god's decision, is morally wrong?

* notice I said faith, not "belief"
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 May '15 16:521 edit

i do.
    "Oh, no, I guess not,"
    i really do, really. was the first question rhetorica ...[text shortened]... ally have no use for made up genocides that serve no purpose. i toss them with extreme prejudice

This is what the JWs call "leaning on your own understanding". Just like atheists, you've made up your mind about certain things and will not be swayed. God forbid you be wrong.

i do.
    "Oh, no, I guess not,"
    i really do, really. was the first question rhetorical? was i not supposed to answer? i am so confused right now.

Again, this is "leaning on your own understanding". I hold that you have NO real concept of true evil. You have shown that you have no understanding of what evil is and what it is not.

"you only believe what makes you happy"
    that's the whole point of religion

No, it is not. Worshiping God and following God's will is the whole point of religion.

" and toss the rest"
    believing in genocides makes me unhappy. i can't do anything about real genocides, except to feel sorrow, shame, disgust about how evil some of our ancestors were or how evil some of our contemporaries are. they are even useful, in a sad manner, so that we don't repeat those heinous acts again and stand up to those that do.

i really have no use for made up genocides that serve no purpose. i toss them with extreme prejudice.

See above. Again, you are "leaning on your own understanding" and you are comparing God to man. Man's genocide is evil, yes. God's is not. And you really cannot grasp the difference. I can only assume that this is because your concept of God must be vastly different than mine or most Christians because our human concept of God comes from the Bible, which you, in your dim understanding, deem to be lies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree