1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Sep '15 22:09
    Sic transit gloria mundi.

(Thus pass the glories of the world).

Latin phrase used in Papal investitures between 1409 and 1963.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 02:35
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.

C. S. Lewis
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 03:47
    13. "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.” ~Alvin Toffler

14. "The most useful piece of learning for the uses of life is to unlearn what is untrue." ~Antisthenes
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 03:49
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    My temporal clock is digital.
    Mine, too.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 04:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    13. "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.” ~Alvin Toffler
    Escaping from the intellectual and spiritual clutches of Christian, Muslim or Jewish ideology ~ among others ~ requires 'unlearning'. Feel free to quote me on this. 😉
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 13:11
    "The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.” ~Alvin Toffler
    Is there any significant spiritual unlearning of what you have believed to be true, that you have done since being in this forum Grampy Bobby?
  7. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 13:212 edits
    It is better to sleep on the roof of a house than live with a contentious person.
    -Proverbs, de-misogynized by BDP

Don't believe everything you think.
    -Buddhist proverb

Who by worrying can add an inch to his stature?
    -Jesus
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 13:25
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    It is better to sleep on the roof of a house than live with a contentious person.
    -Proverbs, de-misogynized by BDP

Don't believe everything you think.
    -Buddhist proverb

Who by worrying can add an inch to his stature?
    -Jesus
    Your posting has taken on a more mellow tone in recent times ,I've noticed.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 14:40
    16) The Great White Throne Judgment:

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’ 44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [e]take care of You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” (Matthew 31 -46)

"Footnotes: a.Matthew 25:15 A talent was worth about fifteen years’ wages of a laborer; b.Matthew 25:18 Or lord’s; c.Matthew 25:21 Or lord; d.Matthew 25:27 Lit to the bankers; e.Matthew 25:44 Or serve." New American Standard Bible (NASB)
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 14:47
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    My temporal clock is digital.
    By the way, GD, my wave lengths are variable in terms of signals sent and received depending on my level of fatigue. Also an observation: at the outset life appears to be a vast wilderness and remains that way until we individually locate true north on the universal vertical compass.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 14:57
    Spirituality: Quotations - Part Two[/b] Note: Please see Thread 155320 (226 Posts) for Part One "12 Sep '13 00:36"

1) "Folly and Wickedness of Men:" Psalm 14:1-3 "The fool has said in his heart [Kardia on the Koine Greek referring to the human mind which circulates thought in contrast with the human heart which circulates blo ...[text shortened]... irituality: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after." Thanks
    Originally posted by vistesd "14 Sep '13" Thread 155320 (Page 3)
    "My favorite story about the place of story in religious philosophy (and one which I repeat often) is told by Rami Shapiro, in one of his books, Hasidic Tales. Shapiro is a Reconstructionist rabbi, but I think the “Reb Reuven” in the story was Orthodox—"

"vistesd, would there be a few more entertaining stories told by Rami Shapiro in his books you would enjoy telling us here?"
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 17:31
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Your posting has taken on a more mellow tone in recent times ,I've noticed.
    I'm trying to be a more peaceful person in general.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 17:48
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'm trying to be a more peaceful person in general.
    "Your avatar still scares the life out of me." Said the ghost.
  14. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 18:07
    16) [b]The Great White Throne Judgment:

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, an ...[text shortened]... .Matthew 25:27 Lit to the bankers; e.Matthew 25:44 Or serve." New American Standard Bible (NASB)[/b]
    Do you support the $15 per hour minimum wage?
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Sep '15 20:06
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Do you support the $15 per hour minimum wage?
    Off topic; perhaps begin your own thread in the Red Hot Pawn Debates Forum.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree