1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    22 Mar '16 23:28
    Seems like there is always a lot of strife here.
    Do you think most of your posts are strife filled?

Proverbs 20:3
    It is to one’s honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.

Proverbs 22:10
    Drive out the mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:08
    This is a debate and discussion forum. If you don't feel cut out for it, or if you end up responding to stuff you disagree with [or opinions you find inconvenient] by blanking them out, or ignoring them, perhaps you should just cop out by dismissing the discussions as "strife", insinuate that those who disagree with you are "fools", characterize comments you find awkward as being from "mockers", and condemn stuff you don't agree with, or don't like, as being "insults". You could give that a try. See if, by doing so, you raise the level of debate. Just a thought. 🙂
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:161 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is a debate and discussion forum. If you don't feel cut out for it, or if you end up responding to stuff you disagree with [or opinions you find inconvenient] by blanking them out, or ignoring them, perhaps you should just cop out by dismissing the discussions as "strife", insinuate that those who disagree with you are "fools", characterize comments you fin ...[text shortened]... ou could give that a try. See if, by doing so, you raise the level of debate. Just a thought. 🙂
    There's no reason why debates can't be intelligent and respectful. Nothing gets resolved that way. What does insisting on being a terrible human being accomplish?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 00:43
    Originally posted by vivify
    There's no reason why debates can't be intelligent and respectful. Nothing gets resolved that way. What does insisting on being a terrible human being accomplish?
    Debates here are mostly "respectful", I'd say. There are sometimes reasons why debates can't always be "intelligent". I don't see any "terrible human beings" among us, do you?
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Debates here are mostly "respectful", I'd say. There are sometimes reasons why debates can't always be "intelligent". I don't see any "terrible human beings" among us, do you?
    I didn't read your entire post, and therefore, made a bad reply. I saw the "you can't cut it" part, and glanced over the rest, assuming I knew what you were going to say. So I was completely wrong, and I apologize.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:16
    I didn't read your entire post, and therefore, made a bad reply. I saw the "you can't cut it" part, and glanced over the rest, assuming I knew what you were going to say. So I was completely wrong, and I apologize.
    I may also have been completely wrong, and, if I was, I also apologize. And even if I wasn't, then I have surely been in the past, on occasions, so I apologize for those.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:162 edits
    My word, the tone of debate is on an upward curve here. 😉
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 01:24
    I love you.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 03:50
    I love you.
    Now you see you just had to go personal.🙂
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 04:151 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay

Are you suggesting:

A) we all follow your lead and simply ignore those people who contend with us?

B) the forum regulars form a posse of some sort to drive out those people whom you are ignoring?

Using the Bible to throw insults at people on a forum message board is poor form Kellyjay. If you have something to say to someone just say it.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 06:41
    Originally quoted by KellyJay
    If you want to see posts removed, threads deleted, or posters banned, you should alert the web site administrators or moderators and tell them who it is you want to "drive out".
  12. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 12:55
    Originally posted by KellyJay

I don't think mockery (or indeed strife/confrontation) is always a bad thing. Imagine for example a chap who posts racist and hurtful comments. The easiest solution is for Mods to remove the offending posts, but sometimes mockery of the racist himself and the ideology of his racist belief is a more powerful response than simply sweeping it under the carpet. In the right hands, sarcasm can be a powerful weapon.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 13:26
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I don't think mockery (or indeed strife/confrontation) is always a bad thing. Imagine for example a chap who posts racist and hurtful comments. The easiest solution is for Mods to remove the offending posts, but sometimes mockery of the racist himself and the ideology of his racist belief is a more powerful response than simply sweeping it under the carpet. In the right hands, sarcasm can be a powerful weapon.
    By the same token, sneer for sneer's sake is not really good theater, either.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 15:08
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

-------------------------------------------------------

Just so everyone is clear, did I mention that posts should be taken down, or name a single
    person who was hateful, racist, or even hinted this thread was about certain posters in
    what I wrote?

I was asking "US" if we felt that strife was in most of our posts, nothing more!
    Even sarcasm can be used without strife and even heated disagreements are not bad
    things, but my question was if we felt like that was a large part of our discussions. When
    I thought of asking this it had more to do with TV news than it did our threads, yet looked
    how this has evolved, gheesh!
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Mar '16 15:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    By the same token, sneer for sneer's sake is not really good theater, either.
    True, which is why my own sarcastic comments are usually delivered with a degree of theatrical razzmatazz.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree